Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?

MaxCast

Re: Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2011, 10:28 pm »
I think the doubters should put their money where their mouth is and stand outside with a ripped shirt and crazed look in their eye shouting "IS THIS ALL YOU'VE GOT! COME AT ME YOU SUNAVABITCH!!!"

now that'd be a hurricane utube video.   :lol:

JDUBS

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm »
Overblown?  I guess we'll find out when it actually hits.  I'd love to be able to see the future but I can't.

-Jim

neekomax

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm »
I think the doubters should put their money where their mouth is and stand outside with a ripped shirt and crazed look in their eye shouting "IS THIS ALL YOU'VE GOT! COME AT ME YOU SUNAVABITCH!!!"

Hey Pez:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm »
Our society is getting less and less tolerate of risk.  Air bags, seat belts, bicycle helmets, insurance for everything...

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2011, 11:28 pm »
I was going to say this one is totally overblown but my track record of predicting these things is not so hot.  I recall saying the same thing about Katrina before it hit...just sayin'. 

Good luck everyone.  I hope this is overblown because that means no one gets hurt or has major property damage.  My company is in New Jersey and lots of people went home early on Friday because they were concerned about the weather situation (not to be confused with the other Situation in NJ.).

Cheers,

J

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #25 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:22 am »
My only concern is the amount of rain that will get dumped into the Susguehanna river as the storm will track up the river. The big flood of 2006 was the result of a front sitting on us dumping upwards of 15 inces of rain in some areas of the river. I know it will not be as bad as 2006 but flooding is a concern for us up here in the Binghamton area even though we are acouple hundred miles from the coast.
 Not sure how much rain will come from this as I have seen anywhere from 4-9 inches depending on what channel you are watching.

Another concern is the winds that will come tomorrow after a soaking rain all night. The ground will get soft and trees coming down could take power out.

kingdeezie

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2011, 01:10 am »
I am in NJ, and the rain is pretty intense. We lost power briefly for about 5 minutes so far, and with this rain pounding down on the grass for the next twelve hours, I won't be shocked if we lost power again for a longer period of time.

I also agree with what Bill said here about the tress falling. I live in the woods, and I am truly dreading a tree falling down onto my house as they are not far enough away to miss my house if they choose to fall.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:21 am »
I recall heavy flooding along the Susquehanna after Hurricane Agnes (?) in '72.  A lot of Harrisburg near the river was deeply flooded.  I saw rail lines with just the tops of trains sticking out of the water.

drphoto

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:52 am »
CNN website says 9 dead so far. That serious enough for ya? 'course maybe they're the one's who stand outside shouting 'bring it on'.

djbnh

« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:18 am »
I recall heavy flooding along the Susquehanna after Hurricane Agnes (?) in '72.  A lot of Harrisburg near the river was deeply flooded.  I saw rail lines with just the tops of trains sticking out of the water.
My grandparents lived in Mocanaqua, about 300 yds up from the Susquehanna. They got a new furnace because their basement was almost totally filled with mud, etc. - mucho destruction.

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm »
In ct, no power, variable winds, many branches down, running on battery.

ctviggen

« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm »
Oh yeah, lots of rain, front yard flooded.

djbnh

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm »
Been up since 5AM today. The lower Lakes regions of NH is getting the wind / rain banding with incrementally increasing intensity. Still have lots of time until the bad stuff gets here.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:15 pm »
We lost power about an hour ago. We too have variable winds and driving rains. Some flash flooding already. Watching the small creek up the road and the larger Nanticoke Creek about a 100 yards from the shop. Only takes a couple downed trees to create havoc in these creeks and flood whole neighborhoods including my shop.

Whenever there is even one death, that's serious enough. Now up to 10 dead. Be carefull out there and don't take anything for granted. Mother Nature is unpredictable.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #34 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:20 pm »
Just had one of my trees go down and nearly hit the neighbor's house.  Winds might not be hurricane level, but they are still pretty strong.

Hopefully this is the worst thing that happens today.

George

Crimson

« Reply #35 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:44 pm »
No power for the last 6 hours, 4 trees down, fencing smashed, pool overflowed, and a retaining wall sunk.

I think I'll take a nap now.

john1970

« Reply #36 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:29 pm »
So far so good, but we have another eight hours of relatively high wind.  My main concern at this time are trees going down that are next to my or my neighbor's homes.

Hope that everyone is safe.

Best,
John

Pez

« Reply #37 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:54 pm »
You all be safe.

putz

« Reply #38 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:29 pm »
Haven't seen too many Overblown comments today.

Jersey got pounded overnite and that was from a weakened storm. My sump ran so hard it shut off and we had 8 inches of water in the basement within a half hour with a submersible pump running and 4 of us bailing. Thankfully the sump restarted and we never lost power. Tried to go to sleep around 4 a.m. and wind gusts keep freaking me out.

Still very windy and looks like a little wrap around rain is coming down now.

Silver lining. Just got a call from work. No power in all of Morristown, so no work tomorrow. Woo Hoo.

fredgarvin

« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2011, 05:30 am »
The truth is that the dire warning beforehand suited both politicians and journalists. Just as with the minor earthquake that shook the east coast last week causing no loss of life and virtually no damage, Irene became a huge story because it was where the media lived...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100102355/perfect-storm-of-hype-politicians-the-media-and-the-hurricane-irene-apocalypse-that-never-was/