BPT BP2?

hmen

BPT BP2?
« on: 4 Apr 2004, 04:40 am »
I've been looking at the BPT BP2 with the signature mod. Does anybody have any experience with or opinions about this unit?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: BPT BP2?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2004, 09:12 am »
Quote from: hmen
I've been looking at the BPT BP2 with the signature mod. Does anybody have any experience with or opinions about this unit?
                                     I have experience with the BP2.5, the only difference between the two being 20 amp capacity vs the 15 amps for the BP2 and the corresponding power cord plugs. I had my BP2.5 for 7 months before sending it back for all the pre-signature upgrades. These modifications not only took the floor noise to the cellar but gave the speakers an unbelievable sense of depth. I attributed this mostly to the addition of 2 large Bybee's. By the time that Chris came out with his Signature series, I had already added a Mapleshade maple board, cones, Isoblocks along with lining the interior of the casing with Stillpoints ERS. This all contributed to a more detailed clarity within my system. But when the 6moons review of the Signature came out, complete with pictures, I knew I hadn't gone far enough. I went back in and to the 6 sheets of ERS that was already in there, I added 12 more! Everything got covered this time along with an ERS super shield around the Bybee's and the transformer shield. More dampening material was also added. Quite frankly, I was amazed by how much the unit improved with the covering of the capacitors, wires, Filters, and such. Just doing up the casing wasn't nearly enough. Just recently, I added a Z-Sleeve Ultra to my L-9 power cord and the clarity bar was once again raised. The one thing I have found tho is how quick my ears become accustomed to the changes/improvements. It's disheartening,,,, unless of course I take out the BPT and listen to my system out of the wall. :o For a minute! :o That's all it takes for me to realize what this conditioner does for my system. :D Let's just say I like my BPT as I do my pizza,,,,, with the WORKS. :lol: Regards, Robin

hmen

BPT BP2?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2004, 06:26 pm »
Robin,
  Your post just cost me a lot of money. I hadn't seriously considered the Bybees and now I'm obligated to buy them because some guy that I've never met recommended in an internet post(I can rationalize any audio purchase). It never occured to me that extra ERS would meke a difference but now I have to get more. Although I like your piecemeal approach, which enables you to hear each improvement individually, my uncontrolable urge for immediate gratfication will probably win out. :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
BPT BP2?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2004, 08:28 pm »
Well, to be honest, the Bybee's were the first big thing that Chris Hoff AND myself were bowled over with by what they brought to the music. But now Chris Hoff purposely leaves them out of his Signature because of the sonic signature that they impart on the music where as the Z-Sleeves don't. Quite frankly tho, I prefer this sonic signature in my system along WITH the Z-Sleeves. As Bybee's are affected by EMI/RFI (Bybee's are now wrapped with ERS), a makeshift Z-Sleeve shield around the Bybee's inside the BPT is a thought worth considering. These makeshift Z-Sleeve shields are multiple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil/ERS and finished off with electrical tape, which are also a MUST for the transformer shield facing the silver wiring at the duplexes. The input/output wiring of the transformer is also a good candidate for this "supershield". All these tips were given to me by Mark Hampton of Zcable. PLUS!!!, these perceptions of my modded up BPT are mine and mine only IN MY SYSTEM. AND I say this as I've had people come back to say that they got ZERO improvements using BPT so I'm left a little gun shy wth advise. I can only express my reactions to what I've experienced in my situation, in my system, with my musical preferences. One more thing, to finish off a BPT Signature, don't forget the aluminum faceplate! :thumb: Regards, Robin

John Casler

BPT BP2?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2004, 08:33 pm »
Quote from: hmen
Robin,
  Your post just cost me a lot of money. I hadn't seriously considered the Bybees and now I'm obligated to buy them because some guy that I've never met recommended in an internet post(I can rationalize any audio purchase). It never occured to me that extra ERS would meke a difference but now I have to get more. Although I like your piecemeal approach, which enables you to hear each improvement individually, my uncontrolable urge for immediate gratfication will probably win out. :thumb:

Hmen,

Chris has continued his design of the BPT 3.5 signature upgrade to delete some things (like the high current noise filter and Z-sleeves) and add things like new sheilding on the L-9 and More internal sheilding within the unit.

I recently received one of the upgraded models and it truly was an improvement over my last BPT (an original Signature upgraded BP1)

So some of the "piece meal" sheilding that Satfrat has done are now in the Signature 3.5.

TheChairGuy

BPT BP2?
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2004, 03:50 am »
Gents,

Y'all are getting me hot and bothered...I ordered a BPT 2.5 last week and hope to have it in another 10 days or so. Yee ha :!:

It comes with the 7 ga. powercard, to which I added the Z Sleeve and Hi Frequency Filter options.  It cost me $1170.00 shipped from UnderwoodWally.

I will lay in a few sheets of ERS and damping for another $100.00 or so and probably get pretty great sound from the magic box.  I think you (Satfrat) left pretty detailed pics of your handiwork with ERS a few months ago.  With permission, I hope to poach a few good ideas from that!

I am one that found great benefit in the PS Audio P300 PowerPlant, but wanted the balanced power and improvement for my amps, too. So, that's for sale now.

I also bought 2 Ultra ZSleeves last week - whoa, intersting doin's!  I think they were Ultra's - the $299.00 jobbers.

Lastly, either of you guys know  if adding a good UPS/Voltage Regulator before the BPT will improve things further?  Mark Hampton had me go out and buy a CyberPower AVR1500 at Best Buy ($179.99) and that thing is stonkin' good (solo) for the money.  Just wondering, if (so long as components don't draw more than 900 watts / 1500 volt-amps) it will work as a it's magic before the BPT.

Any guesses?  :o  I may just email Chris Hoff and ask.

satfrat

• Restricted
BPT BP2?
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:08 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Gents,

Y'all are getting me hot and bothered...I ordered a BPT 2.5 last week and hope to have it in another 10 days or so. Yee ha :!:

It comes with the 7 ga. powercard, to which I added the Z Sleeve and Hi Frequency Filter options.  It cost me $1170.00 shipped from UnderwoodWally.

I will lay in a few sheets of ERS and damping for another $100.00 or so and probably get pretty great sound from the magic box.  I think you (Satfrat) left pretty detailed pics of your handiwork with ERS a few months a ...
            Nope,,, wasn't me. No picture capacity here. :cry: But I  say get your ideas where you can find them, it's all good. :D Just be careful with ERS as it is conductive. The self-adhesive ERS worked good for me. As per the 6moons pix, I covered the capacitors and ran a strip down the metal backing of the Hubbel duplexes. I also did multiple layers of ERS/dampening sheets on the inner casing and the high current noise filter. After talking to Mark Hampton, I now realize the importance of the "supershield" around the front shield of the transformer (the source of EMI) that faces the bare silver wiring around the Hubbels.(which act as antenna's for EMI) Above all Chair Guy, HAVE FUN! :D Regards, Robin

StevenACNJ

BPT BP2?
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2004, 10:34 am »
I got a BPT 3.5 Signature about 1 month ago and didnt notice any new changes to the internal setup - Was the same internally as shown in the 6Moons review.

I did peel back the ERS tape on one of the Auricaps which are installed on each receptical and they appear to have the wrapper pealed off. Anyone else notice this?

ROB968323

BPT BP2?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2004, 12:18 pm »
Chairguy...
Does the CyberPower AVR1500 act like a cheap version of the Exactpower conditioner in that it keeps the voltage at a constant 120V?

Does anyone else have experience with the CyberPower conditioner?

It may be a good idea to use it to front my current conditioner :D ...it's cheap enough.

Thanks,

Rob

TheChairGuy

BPT BP2?
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2004, 02:53 pm »
Robin/Satfrat,

I'll be a super shielding shortly :!:  :!:  :!:  :D

ROB986323,

Fed up with things a few weeks ago in my system and on the advice of Mark Hampton of ZCable, I disconnected my gear from the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet and Power Plant and began running my amps stright from the wall and low draw components from the CyberPower UPS machine (solid beast at 30+ lbs...something is going on in there)  :)

It didn't sound half bad.  I no longer had dynamic constriction (I now understand that the Ultimate Outlet I had should power only low drawing stuff and was not capable in handling my 100 watt monoblocks.)

Running only my MSB Gold Link III DAC/Power Base, Sony DVP-S7700 transport and tuner (there is only 3 outlets for battery backup on the CyberPower) I noticed a lot of good things going on. Very good, sometimes.

After playing for a few days, and realizing the real dissatisfaction was the UO, I began running my amps/preamp from the wall and re-hook up my Power Plant for my other gear.  It's nice, but someting is still strident in my system and it's probably the grainy Norh amps running without filtering from the wall.  They are dynamic, but sound a ugly.

So today, I will connect the CyberPower to the wall first, then hook up my amps to one outlet and my Power Plant with all my other gear to another outlet.

The capacity of the CyberPower is 900 watts, so it should have enough juice to provide clean and stable 120volts to everything, while I still retain the balanced power and sine wave regeneration of the Power Plant.

It sounds good in theory, at least...I'll let you know later how it proves out in practice  :wink:  

The CyberPower should be a cheap version of ANY voltage stabilizer (ie., Monster Cable AVS2000 for $1499.00), voltage regulator, et al.  It monitors line voltage and kicks up or down anytime it wavers.  If you have extreme voltage irregularities (below 90 or above 145v), the internal dual 9AH battery will kick in a provide clean power for 30 minutes plus.  How well does it do versus more expensive UPS/AVR units is open to debate...I am not sure.

I do know that for $179.99 at 900 watts of protection and regulation, it is the cheapest UPS I have researched on the web.  Truly, I do not know how it passes thru retail markup and is only priced at $179.99.  It's a lot of heft and technology for $179.99 to me.

If it doesn't work as an audio power device, it can always be used on the computer set-up.  Incidentally, my monitor (flat screen 19" LCD), never had a picture so good as when the CyberPower is hooked up to it.  Deeper blues and colors in general.

brj

BPT BP2?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:34 pm »
Quote from: ROB968323
Does the CyberPower AVR1500 act like a cheap version of the Exactpower conditioner in that it keeps the voltage at a constant 120V?

As far as I can tell from the respective websites:

- BPT 2.5 Ultra or 3.5 Signature (20 Amp circuit/10 outlets/? Watts/2400 VA/~$2500): clean, balanced power, but no mention of waveform correction.  Voltage correction isn't mentioned explicitly as such, but I get the impression that the BPT's might do this as well.  No UPS, 1 yr warranty, surge protection indicated, but not quantified (that I could find)

- Exactpower EP15A (15 Amp circuit/8 outlets/1650 Watts/unlimited current/~$2000): clean power with both waveform and voltage correction, but not balanced.  (Balanced power can be obtained by also purchasing the SP15A, but I couldn't find a price for it.)  No UPS, 3 yr warranty, 300 Joule/6500 Amp surge protection (2 stage)

- CyperPower 1500 AVR (15 Amp circuit/6 outlets/950 Watts/1500 VA/~$250): UPS, clean power and voltage correction, but not balanced.  3 yr warranty, 1800 Joule/36000 Amp surge protection

Note that this is only a stat list based on what I've gleaned from their respective websites.  I haven't seen any of them in person and certainly haven't heard them in an audio system.  That said, any additions or corrections to the above stats would be welcome, including other similar products not listed here.  I'd also like to know how efficient each type of unit it.

Carlman

BPT BP2?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:57 pm »
Quote from: brj

- CyperPower 1500 AVR (15 Amp circuit/6 outlets/950 Watts/1500 VA/~$250): UPS, clean power and voltage correction, but not balanced. 3 yr warranty, 1800 Joule/36000 Amp surge protection

I just ordered this one shipped for 255 from Computers4sure.com.  My current UPS is dying.... and letting me know about it at 3 AM... and then again at about 5 AM.

It looks nice and has 6 outlets.  I need more outlets... another preamp and digital comparison coming soon. :shake:

-C

TheChairGuy

BPT BP2?
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2004, 05:37 pm »
BRJ,

The BPT's, ExactPower and PS Audio of the world provide balanced output.  That is they split 120v into two balanced 60v feeds.

In reality, your lines rarely provide exactly 120v, they waver.  A voltage regulator corrects this wavering to provide 120v constant.  No unit that I know of provides both blanced power and voltage correction/regulation.

The UPS portion of the CyberPower's features are least important to us audiophiles.  It provides DC battery power to keep thngs running so they are not lost in blackouts.  After 30+ minutes on battery power, it poops out anyhow.

Incidentally, unplugged from the wall and using battery only power for a few minutes, I was struck at how sweet the music became.

The only audiophile unit that I know of that provides constant power regultaion is the Monster Cable AVS2000.  But they are very secretive on details...for instance, how much wattage can it handle?  It weighs a hefty 69lbs., leading me to believe it's got good power handling, but without knowing you might find that your amps will suffocate on it.  The CyberPower has a limit up to 900 watts - enough for many systems in total, especially ones using ultra-efficient digital amps.

However, what effect cheap wiring, non-hospital grade outlets and cheapie 14 guage captive power cord is detrimentally to the sound, that is the question of the day for the CyberPower.

I'm listening to India Arie right now and it is the most pleasant I remember hearing this CD - thru the CyberPower powering my amps and Power Plant.  Easier to listen to, far less grain, but just not the snap and pop as before.

So, this sucker works, but all will have a different opinion whether it adds or detracts from your enjoyment of things overall.  Like said earlier, you can always use it on your computer gear with good effect.

TheChairGuy

BPT BP2?
« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2004, 05:53 pm »
BRJ,

I stand corrected if ExactPower's unit provides voltage regulation...what a high price at $2000 it seems to be, tho.

Probably helps tho....just pricey.

TheChairGuy

BPT BP2?
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2004, 06:08 pm »
This is interesting...from Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity:

So, how do we balance the ExactPower EP15?

There are a number of balanced transformers out there that you can simply connect to the output of the EP15. Many are expensive, but there are some that come at reasonable cost. The BPT (www.b-p-t.com) represents a best-buy kind of value, and we have used them. They are a no-frills version of transformers costing much more. So, total cost of the EP15 and a balanced transformer will be about $2,500. The package will be very efficient, not get hot, and can fit in reasonable spaces.

The Sound

We have discussed the sonic benefits of clean AC many times. It is especially evident with mass market receivers. Less harshness is the most obvious thing. I suspect that is the result of high frequency noise being reduced. The benefits of eliminating the AC harmonics will be less hum. The EP15's 15 amp rating let us crank our entire system, with three Velodyne HGS-18s in the circuit, to full output with no problems at all. The voltage regulation allows a deeper bass too, since low frequencies require more power, and a sagging AC wall socket robs the bass of deep impact. What happens is that the EP15's own power supply delivers the extra current into the circuit, along with the wall's current, when the demand is there. Then, the EP15 replenishes its power supply during the aftermath of all those explosions.

Conclusion

The ExactPower EP15 is a winner, big time. It gives you the 60 Hz sine waves that you are paying for but not getting from the power company, keeps it at 120 volts no matter what your subwoofers are demanding, and all at the price we were paying for fancy filters in the past. Add a balanced transformer, and you have clean, pure, balanced power. You can't ask for more. Highly recommended.

John Casler

BPT BP2?
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2004, 06:17 pm »
BRJ,

The BPT's, ExactPower and PS Audio of the world provide balanced output.  That is they split 120v into two balanced 60v feeds.

Hi Chair Guy,

Being a dealer (or former dealer of PS) I "should" know this stuff, but it is hard to keep up on everything nowdays.

But AFIK, here is how it rolls out;

BPT products (except for the CPC) are all based on "Balanced Power" conditioning

PS Audio "does have" a unit or two that combines "Power Regulation" and "Balanced Power".  I beleive they are the PS1000 and PS600 (correct me if I'm wrong)

ExactPower has two seperate components.  One, the EP15A is a "Power Regulator", and the other it the SP15A which is a "Balanced Power" unit.

The BPT products "can" be used "after" the ExactPower Power Regulator in the "Power Line".

Hope that helps.

brj

BPT BP2?
« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2004, 07:13 pm »
BRJ,

I stand corrected if ExactPower's unit provides voltage regulation...what a high price at $2000 it seems to be, tho.

Probably helps tho....just pricey.

According to their website, the EP15A gives you the voltage regulation, while the SP15A gives you the balanced power.  The graphic at the bottom of this page shows how they recommend you integrate their units with all of your equipment (short version: amps plug into the regulated EP15A, everything else into the balanced SP15A, which is also regulated because it sits downstream of the EP15A).  I couldn't find any prices for the SP15A, but based on your other post, it appears that you could certainly use a BPT or other balanced device in place of the SP15A component.   If you want balanced and regulated power, it looks like you are going to be approaching $3000 whether you go the PS Audio route or the Exact Power route.  (Did I miss any?)

To repond to your first post:

The BPT's, ExactPower and PS Audio of the world provide balanced output. That is they split 120v into two balanced 60v feeds.

In reality, your lines rarely provide exactly 120v, they waver. A voltage regulator corrects this wavering to provide 120v constant. No unit that I know of provides both blanced power and voltage correction/regulation.

The UPS portion of the CyberPower's features are least important to us audiophiles. It provides DC battery power to keep thngs running so they are not lost in blackouts. After 30+ minutes on battery power, it poops out anyhow.

I was intrigued by the CyberPower primarily because it would give me surge protection and voltage regulation for relatively little cost.  I agree that the UPS is an un-needed extra in an audio system.  I wouldn't get the benefits of balanced power, but as someone looking to setup a new system from scratch, this would let me spend a larger portion of my initial funds on the speakers/etc. while still having a protected system.  (I have been unimpressed enough with the consistancy of my power to want some level of power conditioning/protection as soon as I have my new system installed.)  I can always upgrade to a better power unit later and just move the CyberPower unit to my computer system...

Carlman, I look forward to your review, as always!

(3 AM and 5 AM??  I sure hope you get to choose your own working hours, otherwise your Monday is really going to hurt! :) )

Beezer

UO limiting dynamics?
« Reply #17 on: 5 Apr 2004, 08:51 pm »
I now understand that the Ultimate Outlet I had should power only low drawing stuff and was not capable in handling my 100 watt monoblocks.

Which Ultimate Outlet were you using?  I've used the 20amp high output version and have not noticed any restrictions to dynamics and/or softening of the sound.  I've used it with an Odyssey dual mono Stratos, BAT VK-200, and VAC PA-100/100.  Actually, it seems to provide slightly better detail and a deeper soundstage.  

Maybe it would have problems with a pair of 100 watt monoblocks though...

Beez

TheChairGuy

Re: UO limiting dynamics?
« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2004, 11:45 pm »
Quote from: Beezer

Which Ultimate Outlet were you using?  I've used the 20amp high output version and have not noticed any restrictions to dynamics and/or softening of the sound.  I've used it with an Odyssey dual mono Stratos, BAT VK-200, and VAC PA-100/100.  Actually, it seems to provide slightly better detail and a deeper soundstage.  

Maybe it would have problems with a pair of 100 watt monoblocks though...

Beez

It was the standard UO, Beez. The only one they had 2.5 years ago.

TheChairGuy

BPT BP2?
« Reply #19 on: 5 Apr 2004, 11:53 pm »
Quote from: brj
I was intrigued by the CyberPower primarily because it would give me surge protection and voltage regulation for relatively little cost. I agree that the UPS is an un-needed extra in an audio system. I wouldn't get the benefits of balanced power, but as someone looking to setup a new system from scratch, this would let me spend a larger portion of my initial funds on the speakers/etc. while still having a protected system. (I have been unimpressed enough with the consistancy of my power to want some level of power conditioning/protection as soon as I have my new system installed.) I can always upgrade to a better power unit later and just move the CyberPower unit to my computer system...

I just unplugged the Power Plant and am running the amps and front end only into the CyberPower (2 Ultra ZSleeves in the playback, too).  The music is sweeter, less strident with the PP in the chain...but I lost some detail, size and power of performance and a bit of oomph in the bass.  I'm not sure if there is dynamic constriction, or if the Power Plant provided clean, balanced power - enough so that everything ran more efficiently and with higher power output.

I'm looking forward to inserting the BPT in here soon. I think, overall, having the PP is better than NOT having the PP in the chain.

Try it out, brj, it seems to be absolutely better than nothing and, at least, your gear is protected.  For $179.99, it'll alwyas work somewhere for something in today's electronic home.