AKSA Gallery - See AC Gallery

Lost81

« Reply #140 on: 12 Dec 2004, 05:45 am »
Quote from: soitstarts
What exactly is anodising...

Hi Martin,

I will take a crack at this. Anodizing is an electro-chemical process by which the natural oxide layer on aluminium is thickened. There are 3 levels of anodizing: regular, large and super-sized... NOT! (heh... that's my tummy talking there :lol ) Ok, there are 3 levels of anodizing in terms of how tough and resistant-to-wear the final results are: regular, hard anodized (my machinist estimates that it is near 60 on the Rockwell scale), and Mil-Spec (E.g. SureFire's Type III Hard Anodized).

As the anodized layer is porous, it allows for the item to be dyed in the color of choice thereafter. If the item is not dyed, it retains its natural finish.

I am not sure if you can anodize aluminium DIY--cost-effectively, at least.

If you are going to send off your face plates for anodizing, be sure to let them know that your purpose is ornamental. Sometimes there might be mounting marks on the item as a result of the process.

There is another process called alodine, which supposedly gives another electrical property to the item alodined (shields it from something... which I can't remember).

Make sure you do everything you need to do to the item before sending it to be anodized. That includes drilling, sanding, and brushing.

Hope that helps!

:beer:
Cheers,
-Lost81

soitstarts

« Reply #141 on: 14 Dec 2004, 09:38 am »
Thanks for the info Lost.

I have put some photos on webshots as a sort of newbies perspective. My brother and others have asked whats involved and so on so I thought this would be the best way to show them. There is nothing here that most of you haven't seen but any newbies may want to take a look. I know I would have liked to se something like this as I was doing my research into the project.
Its getting closer to destiny time :o . Soon I will know if I have an Aksa amp or an Aksa smoke machine... :lol:

http://community.webshots.com/album/232108074ElNPmd

Cheers,
Martin

AKSA

« Reply #142 on: 14 Dec 2004, 11:02 am »
Martin,

Thank you for your excellent photos - I have to say that your amplifier is extremely well made;  the lovely soldering job on the heatsinks, the good component dress, the accuracy of the links, the generous soldering on the power supply board - it's all there in spades - my congratulations.

I very much doubt there'll be any problems on firing it up!

Cheers,

Hugh

PSP

« Reply #143 on: 20 Jan 2005, 06:32 pm »
I've finally posted some pictures of my GK-1R and AKSA 55N+ (see the gallery, page 36).

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php&set_albumListPage=36

The GK-1R and AKSA amp are both in in 2U Par-Metal cases.  For the GK-1R, I suspended the analog board on two aluminum "L" brackets with a little blue EAR material and some rubber grommets used as isolation (this allows a 2U case and keeps the leads to the attenuator short).  I shielded the transformers and the digital power supply in the initial build... I have no idea whether or not they are necessary or even help.  I just wanted to go the whole nine yards with this build.

Peter

EchiDna

« Reply #144 on: 12 Mar 2005, 11:43 am »
updated the idex page again... surely there are other AKSA's being built that aint in the gallery at the moment? only one update since november 2004... Hugh I hope you aren't going too hungry!  :o

aurelius

« Reply #145 on: 14 Mar 2005, 05:32 am »
Happy to oblige...

Here is a picture of my attempt to whack up a case for the GK1-R... note: top is not fully screwed down yet.

I consider this a prototype... I will be remaking the case after I have finished everything else I am working on.

First part of a GK1-R + 8 x AKSA 55N+ + Linkwitz ORION

EchiDna

« Reply #146 on: 14 Mar 2005, 10:47 am »
:o
not bad for a prototype!

:o

can't wait to see the finished product (not to mention the rest of the system!)

AKSA

« Reply #147 on: 14 Mar 2005, 10:53 am »
Marcus Aurelius,

Are you by chance a skilled artisan in wood, resident of Rome, 2005 AD?

Cheers,

Hugh

aurelius

« Reply #148 on: 14 Mar 2005, 12:05 pm »
Thanks EchiDna,

Aiming for completion of all elements by the end of April.  The final pre-amp case won't be substantially different... there is just some of the joinery that I'm not happy with... I may also change my choice of wood to Tasmanian Myrtle and Black-hearted Sasafras... this is what I intend to make the Orion cabinets out of.  I'm still unsure how to finish the LED and IR remote holes.

Hugh,

Rome ??? Geelong?? Who could spot the difference? I'm sure any contemorary "Grand Tour" could substitute one for the other!

My father-in-law, an odd Scottsman (perhaps the most tautological expression one can write!), refers to me as Aurelius; I don't really have imperial delusions of grandure.

Cheers

Mark C.

wmeckle

« Reply #149 on: 19 Mar 2005, 04:07 pm »
Hi Gang:
    Completed assembling the AKSA 100-N, built a case, and am very satisified with the results.
    Details can be seen on:
http://www.wmeckle.com
    Click on the image of the AKSA 100-N for more info.
[/img]

soitstarts

« Reply #150 on: 4 Apr 2005, 01:13 am »
Hooray. I finally have the old girl back. I have done my second case and have had enough of drilling, tapping, cutting down bolts and sanding for a couple of weeks at least. The wife is happy that I'm finally happy with it. Mind you, I have some more ideas..... Next couple of months, maybe. :lol:

I have a few photos on webshots if you want a look.

http://community.webshots.com/album/313498907KDURpF

TTFN
Martin

wmeckle

« Reply #151 on: 4 Apr 2005, 01:36 am »
Hooray. I finally have the old girl back. I have done my second case and have had enough of drilling, tapping, cutting down bolts and sanding for a couple of weeks at least. The wife is happy that I'm finally happy with it. Mind you, I have some more ideas..... Next couple of months, maybe. :lol:

I have a few photos on webshots if you want a look.

Great job, am looking closely at your pictures as I am considering building
one and 1/2 AKSA 100s (three channel) like you did. And am looking at the layout to fit all in a reasonable size case. What is the height of your case ?
I see fitting 3 transformers in the alloted space as the bigest problem.
    Again nice job !

soitstarts

« Reply #152 on: 4 Apr 2005, 06:09 am »
Thanks Bill,

My case (usable cavity) is 145mm High, 435mm wide and 300mm deep. Thats plenty for the stacked tranfos. I have had some correspondence about the way they are stacked so I have a new design floating in my noggin. I get an audible hum at 1db with my ear at the speaker.
When I get sick of this case I will be doing a Two storey jobby. Im going to have all my power supply stuff in the bottom, chuck a shielding plate over the top of those and then have my 3 channels on separate heatsinks with the 3rd one running across the back. Kind of like this  l_l which will keep all signal wires short. The case will only need to be about an extra 20mm higher, I think.. :?
This design will be about as good as I can get as I will be DESIGNING it instead of making things up as I go along..

Wish I knew about these before I made my case..

http://www.gumboot.com/cgi-bin/ezshop/shop/2052?prodcode=33

Good luck, Bill. If you want to keep things neat, can I suggest you get a terminal strip/board happening? I know I will be using one next time. And keeping the bottom open is unreal for testing. :wink:

Now to start sorting the new case...

wmeckle

« Reply #153 on: 4 Apr 2005, 11:27 am »
Thanks Bill,
If you want to keep things neat, can I suggest you get a terminal strip/board happening? I know I will be using one next time. And keeping the bottom open is unreal for testing.

Hi soitstarts:
    I used a terminal strip for the resistor & cap on the power switch, but would like to lay out the parts so it wouldn't be necessary to use any strips, instead figure wiring dress as part of the design process.
    I also need to make the "test points" more compact, maybe "needles" rising above the boards for easy access from the top ?
    Again nice job !

wmeckle

« Reply #154 on: 27 Jun 2005, 06:40 am »
Hi Gang:
    Just completed my three channel AKSA 100-N Plus amp and have about 50 hours on it and it is sounding better all the time.
    If anyone would like to see the pictures and case details check:
http://www.wmeckle.com/AKSA3/AKSA3.htm
    http://
   If I knew how to add pictures to the gallery....................?  ?

Rom

« Reply #155 on: 27 Jun 2005, 07:22 am »
Hi Bill,

built like a tank!!!, I'm impress, really nice work.

cheers
rom

no capes

« Reply #156 on: 27 Jun 2005, 10:54 am »
Hi Bill

Built like a tank, yes.
But I think "built like a brick s#*t house" sounds better.

Don't drop that thing on your foot.

Great job.

AKSA

« Reply #157 on: 27 Jun 2005, 11:10 am »
Guys,

A round of applause for Bill.  :notworthy:  :beer:    I think his efforts are extraordinary, beautiful workmanship, measured, logical design, and brilliant layout......

Bill, you are a credit to all of us!

Cheers,

Hugh

wmeckle

« Reply #158 on: 28 Jun 2005, 01:57 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Guys,

A round of applause for Bill.  :notworthy:  :beer:    I think his efforts are extraordinary, beautiful workmanship, measured, logical design, and brilliant layout......

Bill, you are a credit to all of us!

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, the pictures of your AKSA inspired me to build something like it, so I stole lots of ideas from you.
   Thanks again. See ya.

stvnharr

« Reply #159 on: 30 Oct 2005, 11:16 pm »
I have just added some photos of one of my Aksa's to the gallery on Pg. 47.