Anything similar to but better than the Peachtree Nova?

cloudbaseracer

As I understand it, most integrated do not have onboard DAC's.  Is this correct?

I am looking for an integrated that has:

Good Power - does not have to be excessive as the GedLee's are efficient
Great on-board DAC (which is what the Nova is said to have)
Subwoofer out

I think something similar to the Peachtre Audio Nova but even better sound and especially better reliability. The NAD M2 comes to mind as one option.  I am using a Squeexebox Touch as a source and therefore think it best to use the digital out.  Does this make the most sense?

Please supply your reasons why for your suggestions.

firedog

Re: Anything similar to but better than the Peachtree Nova?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:26 am »
Yes, the NAD M2. If I had your requirements and the cash, that's what I'd get. Very powerful, and totally digital. Expensive, but eliminates the need for any electronics other than the source. Sounds great.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M2-Direct-Digital-Amplifier
review:
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/nad_m2_direct_digital_integrated_amplifier/index.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:20 pm »
Frankly I'm not a fan of integrating too much into the same box because one portion will always be the weakest link (like the power section in the Peachtrees).

But if you're committed to that route check out the Hegel integrates (H70 & H100)too.  Built in DAC's, not cheap, but well made and full of understated Scandinavian values:

http://www.hegel.com/products_home.htm

gold

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:41 pm »
Bel Canto S300iu or S300id depending on source needs.  Excellent sounding amp. 

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:38 pm »
I was going to mention bel canto as well. I also think but not sure that blue circle will make an integrated with a built in dac.  That's a very very underrated brand, at least on these boards. Will also be more money then the peachtree. I would not use the term pricey b/c its not pricey, its just not made in a third world country, with contaminant labor prices.  Pretty sure its made in canada.

This may be something to think about in these economic times

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:43 pm »
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.  Do most of you think that a $3000 Hegel or a $3000 NAD M2 (used) would be better (equivalent) than a Benchmark DAC1 PRE into a separate amp?  I will need 2 channels for the mains and 3-5 channels for the subs in the GedLee system.  Simplicity is a desire but not at the expense of more money and lower sound quality.

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2011, 03:49 pm »
Haven't directly compared them, but I'm pretty sure a NAD M2 will sound better. It's a good value for it's price - rivals separates costing 2-3 times it's price new.  It's relatively new though, so I'm not sure when you will see a used one. I'd certainly consider buying one used if I could.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:16 pm »
Seems like a cake and eat it too issue (simple with 3 - 5 subs?).

It would be hard to find a direct comparison between a Hegel or NAD (or most any integrated) with high end separates.  The best bet there would be the Bel Canto (which I don't care for the sound of, small power supplies, or ICE technology).

Again, one portion will always be the weak link.  For instance the top of the line Hegel integrated H200 lacks the built in DAC and a review of the H100 I quickly glanced at indicated that Hegel's own DAC was better than the built-in DAC (which is what you'd normally expect).  Yet at least around here the Hegel DAC (or NAD DAC's - do they offer a separate DAC?) doesn't get a whisper of notice compared ot the current DAC darlings (Zodiac, Weiss, W4S, or EE) around here.

And the same could be said of the separate Hegel or NAD pre/power amps too (they don't show up in high end discussions).

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:27 pm »
NAIM Supernait, NaimUniti or UnitiQute are full featured integrateds with built in DAC and many other features, along with excellent NAIM sound. Supernait makes 80W/8R, the other two are 40-50W.
http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-product-type/599

Rich

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:30 pm »
Found one that may be "closer to home" for you:

Music Hall Audio: Maven (100 wpc integrated with 24/96 upsampling DAC)

Check out underwood HiFi: http://www.underwoodhifi.com/retail.html#musichall

Music Hall:  http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=17

Neil G

• Everest Audio
    • http://www.everestaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:42 pm »
The brand new Bel Canto C5i, which is replacing the S300iu, is a better sounding piece than the old S300iu, has five digital inputs, one analogue input, one MM phono input, and has a line out as well which can be used with a subwoofer.  It does, however, have less power than the old S300iu.  The C5i is 60W per channel into 8 ohms and 120W per channel into 4 ohms.

From CES show reports, people were very impressed with the sound when it was driving the Joseph Audio Pulsars.

Disclosure: I am a Bel Canto dealer, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.  However, if you are looking for an integrated with a high quality DAC, this is fits the bill.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm »
Many thanks as you guys have given me several options to look at.  I am not sure how much better sound I will get out of these units than I have with my all digital Panasonic system.  It is always something to experiment with and consider - at this time I do not have the Abbey's or multiple subs but they will be in within a month or so.

The current Panasonic has a subwoofer out but not a pre-amp out.  I assume that the subwoofer out would go into the Behringer and that signal would then be routed to the sub amps?  What is the difference of this and a line level out or pre-amp out?  I know a different question all together from the original but just trying to understand.

Do you guys have experience with the Naim pieces?  Or first hand experience with any of these mentioned?  As you know, things can look good on paper, spec wise, yet not perform as well as hoped.  This seems to be the case with the Peachtree product from what I have read.

Neil G

• Everest Audio
    • http://www.everestaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 5 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm »
I can't say about some of the other brands, but the Bel Canto will be far superior to the Panasonic that you have.

A subwoofer output typically has some sort of bass management behind it which allows for different crossover frequencies before it goes into a LFE input on a sub (which bypasses the crossover in the sub).  A line out or preamp out sends the full signal without any crossover in the signal path which can be either used with another power amp, or a subwoofer in the L&R inputs where you would then use the crossover in the sub to choose where to cut off the bass frequencies for the best blend with your speakers.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm »
I will look more into the Bel Canto to see if it sounds like a good option. 

The Panasonic is supposed to be a great sounding, giant killer piece so it will be interesting to see what happens.

So if I have a subwoofer out it cannot go directly into the Berhinger to be distributed to the amps that power the sub?  It must go directly to a powered sub?

Steve53

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2011, 12:50 am »
I'll throw another log on the fire. The Arte Forma Emily has a USB input and a built in DAC. It also has one analog (RCA) input. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it's bigger sister the I-150 Susan which doesn't have a DAC has had some excellent reviews. The cost of the Emily is $899 but it is not currently in stock. I believe it should arrive sometime in April.  www.cryo-parts.com. I just re-read your post about needing a subwoofer output which this unit does not have. Sorry.

Jeff K

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2011, 02:21 am »
I'm loving this one.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HK%20990

Sweet, detailed, great dac, two sub-outs, and lots of power.  :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:17 am »
I also noticed they have one or two cd players whereas some models a year or two or three ago they were only available over sea,s for some reason

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:07 am »
The Naim stuff is fantastic IMO.  I mention it because you've asked.  The Uniti has a ton of features, perhaps some you don't need like a CD player, streamer, Internet radio, etc.  The SuperNait is basically an integrated amp with DAC built in.  It's a few bucks more and has less features, but it sounds a good deal better.  It's not a fair comparison between them as to which is a better value, as they've got different tagged users.

The Naim sound is about as polarizing as it gets in audio.  Some love it and won't buy anything else, some despise it.  But anyone who knows anything about this hobby will respect it.  The SuperNait's sound appeals to a broader group than previous gear did.

Had I had to start over again with a very simple system, the Naim Uniti would be the center of it. 

Bryston's B100 has an excellent optional internal DAC.  It has multiple inputs and Bryston's absurdly good 20 year warranty.  I own a B60 and can't say enough good things about Bryston's sound, build, and customer service.  Not a fanboy, just a very happy customer.

You should get out and hear as much of the stuff mentioned here as you can.  No one can really tell you what'll be your favorite.

TONEPUB

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:14 am »
Definitely the Naim UnitiQute.  That's the one I'd buy.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2011, 03:36 am »
If I were to clarify that I will be powering the subs and low-end with a different amp, does that change your recommendation?  In other words, are there some of these integrated units that are exquisite except for low end power/sound?  Perhaps ones that do not get the nod for guys using them with full range speakers? The GedLee Abbey's are the mains and not required to go that low. 

Just a little twist I thought I would throw in to see if it makes a difference.  Not even sure if amps work in this manner or not, such that one would be better suited to a full range speaker vs a limited low end system?