Simaudio's Electronics

dspgolf

Simaudio's Electronics
« on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:12 pm »
Hello All,

Just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with Simaudio's Moon electronics and how they stack up to the likes of a company like Bryston's amps, pre-amps, cd players and so on?  If anyone would like to chime in on this would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
Dave

carusoracer

Re: Simaudio's Electronics
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:50 am »
What exactly are you looking for and what speakers are you looking to power?

There are several reviews for Sim Moon products and they have very friendly website that shows the products and the link to the review.
With that said their products are very well built, retain their resale value, and are nice looking designs. I have heard most of the line up and it is very good solid state equipment.
Bryston, I'm not as familiar with and have only heard the older line up. Both companies stand behind their products.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:07 am »
Sim and Bryston are also both Canadian.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:21 am »
Both are impeccably built IMO.  Bryston's warranty is longer (20 years vs 10), but I think they're pretty equal in build.  Both sound excellent.  I own Bryston, so I prefer that, but truth is it's a preference thing, not which is better.

Sim is a bit warmer, smoother, laid back, and softer on top.  Bryston is more forward and has more energy to my ears.  The difference isn't huge, but it's definitely there.

I prefer Bryston, but see why some prefer SimAudio.  Can't go wrong with either IMO.  They're expensive, but they're a very solid investment, especially long term. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:29 am »
I'd agree with StuPitt's take on the Sim vs. Bryston, but I prefer the Sim gear.  Marc Marcantonio has my i-7 integrated now and we've got the new i700 in for review.  Spendy, but a great amp. 

I say give em both a listen.  It's like comparing a Mercedes to a BMW.  Both are good, but I guarantee you will prefer one over the other....

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2011, 04:11 am »
Sim and Bryston also have stuff at different price points, so that's got to factor in too.  Sim has more stuff at their lower end, and they Sim have more integrateds.  Bryston has more stuff at the upper end, and has more seperates.  Not that I've counted how many of each from each brand, but I'm pretty sure anyway.

A lot depends on how much you're spending and if you want an integrated or seperates.   

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2011, 04:53 am »
Personally, for me the solid state amp that I've really fallen in love with has been the Burmester 911 mk. 3....

dspgolf

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:32 pm »
I was curious because I own some Bryston electronics and wondered how simaudio gear stacked up to the bryston sound wise?
I am driving a Pair Of B&W 803D speakers with a Bryston 4B SST2 amp and pre-amp, and wanted to know what the differences where sound wise.

Dave

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:39 am »
Sim is a bit warmer, smoother, laid back, and softer on top.  Bryston is more forward and has more energy to my ears.

Based on that description I'd prefer the Sim too.  The more forward sounding amps never seem to image as well as the laid back amps.  Also extended listening sessions tend to be more fatiguing with forward sounding gear.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2011, 04:53 am »
Based on that description I'd prefer the Sim too.  The more forward sounding amps never seem to image as well as the laid back amps.  Also extended listening sessions tend to be more fatiguing with forward sounding gear.

My 14B/sq is about as laid back as you can get (especially when i cut the gain). Unlike the sst series, its very forward and kinda of a one trick pony in that regard. I think the big SS power amps these days are completely negotiable in terms of forward or laid back. And much of it has to do with your pre and its gain and your choice of speakers.... a lot less depends on the amp imo.

Sim audio was a big contender when i was looking for an amp  and i probably would've bought a w-6 or a w-8. The w-8 is about as good anything out there. The deal breaker was the non transferable warranty.... its just a kick in the teeth hobby wise with no warranty on the table when selling. I can't stand that actually.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2011, 05:02 pm by werd »

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:47 am »
Seriously, give em both a chance.  See what you like better.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:34 pm »

I can see why you're saying that based on my post, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying.    The characteristics were relative to each other, not an absolute description. 

Don't know if I'd call Bryston forward or laid back.  It's definitely not in your face.  I wouldn't call it bright either.  It's definitely not tipped up in the highs, and they don't call attention to themselves.

Bryston is very neutral sounding.  I like it because I truly believe it gets out of the way and just plays music a lot better than anything in a realistic price range.  It doesn't say 'look at me.'  it just reproduces what's given to it.

And no, I'm not a fan boy who thinks everything else is crap, and what's perfect to my ears is in fact perfect beyond reproach.  There's a ton of great gear out there that sounds dramatically different, that I could very easily live with for a very long time.  McIntosh is a great example of that. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:40 pm »
Also, my Bryston images very well, and I've never had listener fatigue.  Either has anyone else who's been in my home.  Quite the opposite, actually.  Some of the guys were guys who like a smooth, laid back, Mac/Marantz sound.

Please don't misinterpret that as pushing Bryston, just stating my experience.

SimAudio is just as good, IMO.  Just in a slightly different way.  They're more similar than different.  I've had them both in my home at the same time.  It's not like comparing McIntosh to Krell, who are about as opposite as I think it gets. 
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2011, 04:05 am by Stu Pitt »

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2011, 08:36 pm »

I did a shoot out between a Sim Audio W3, Pass Labs Alph 5 (I belive-it's 60 watts), Classe 70. I also owned a Bryston 4BST.

I liked the Sim Audio and would probably be my first pick.

I never did like the Bryston high end although I did not use their pre with it.

The Pass made me feel that the instruments were not in the same recording space but as completely separate unto themselves. The best imaging amp however.

I owned the Classe 70 and was happy to keep it and did not buy the Pass or W3. I quickly sold the Bryston.

Rocket_Ronny

mclsound

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2011, 08:51 pm »
I have had a Bryston 14bST,14BSST,4bSST and a Simaudio Titan 7ch and will say that for a 200w/ch amp the Sim kicked ass.It was between the Classe(CA-300,400) and the bryston in the brightness scale meaning that on MY speakers,Classe was softer in the mid/hi area,Bryston was a little more crispy and sim was right in the middle...But as far as bass,Sim and Bryston were on top(pretty even here) and Classe was a little less controlled.