The Orions

WerTicus

The Orions
« on: 26 Feb 2004, 06:26 am »
I found a review by a fellow west aussie... its not that in depth I suppose with very nice photos.

should check it out! :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~wallaroo/

also its good news for me cause it means there are some I can listen to! (assuming he lets me!)
;)

NealH

The Orions
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 02:05 pm »
52 op-amps in the signal processor???  There is more work to be done.

WerTicus

The Orions
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2004, 03:22 am »
is that good or bad? :)

Rocket

Orion speakers
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2004, 06:23 am »
Hi Werticus,

Looks like a nice design how much did it cost to build?

If you live in perth have you checked out War Audio in Osborne Park?  Pat has many good quality kit speakers at reasonable prices.

I have a pair of his speakers and if you wanted to you could come by for a listen.

regards

rod

WerTicus

The Orions
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2004, 07:58 am »
i dont know how much it cost to build rocket that is not my website or my speakers :)

i am running a vifa kit at the moment - i havnt checked out anything further than war audio's website so far ... do you have the address i would like to go over there now that i have seen what they are about!

Rocket

Orion Speaker Kit
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2004, 08:41 am »
Hi Werticus,

W.A.R. Audio U203 Westpoint Commercial Centre
396 Scarborough Beach Road
Osborne Park
9242 5538

Pat offers kits using focal, raven, phl and axon drivers.

He designs most of the speakers himself. he will sell completed speakers or as a kit.

If you want to drop me a line and have a listen to my speakers which he built for me.  I also have a perpetual technologies p3a modwright dac and p1a and have a modwright preamp on the way from the states.

Btw where did you buy your vifa kit from?

regards

rod

WerTicus

The Orions
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2004, 09:33 am »
my vifa kit is the jv60 kit from jaycar
but i only have the drivers from that remaining

totally new cabinets and totally new crossover of my design.  muchly improved the rather average kit.

I wouldnt mind hearing your setup at all... i also have a denon dvd 2900 i could bring over for you to listen to in your system unless you already have better?

evolved

The Orions
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2004, 04:14 am »
Quote from: rnhood
52 op-amps in the signal processor???  There is more work to be done.

Divide that number by two since that count is for both channels.  Then, divide by 3.  The new number is roughly how many opamp stages are in the signal path of each driver.  Unlike something like a generic Marchand crossover, the Linkwitz Orion crossover time aligns the drivers, provides baffle step correction and frequency shaping on the midrange driver and provides dipole cancellation compensation for the woofers.

Until you hear what an Orion sounds like you'll not be convinced that better results could be had with fewer than 52 opamps.

WerTicus

The Orions
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2004, 09:52 am »
I may be lucky enough to hear a pair soon :)

Though today I was lucky to hear a DIY kit type thingo from WAR audio here in perth (thanks for the heads up Rod)

It used the raven tweeter r1 and the theil and partner ceramic mid and some groooovy an furry woofer :) in a 45 litre bass reflex 3way box

This was being driven by Bel Carlo (or something ;) ) digital amps off same universal player through same preamp - about 20 k in the front end and the speakers are an 8k kit.

Room treatment was minimal

-

I was totally blown away :)  Now I understand what a soundstage is the speakers totally disappeared - now i understand what clarity is too...

My system is at a point where there is a stage but its not accurate like this was - this had real depth and my speakers still disappear but this setup seemed to 'never' have sound coming from a speaker.

There was actually pieces of paper around the room that were 'rf' absorbers just a4 in size and you could hear the difference of two being present or missing.

In any case it will be great to compare to the orions when i hear them!

Rocket

orion speakers
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2004, 11:48 am »
Hi Werticus,

Glad to hear that you went to W.A.R. audio and had a listen to his speakers.

The speakers you describe are his Reference 1's which use one of the best tweeters available, Raven 1 ribbon tweeters, Accuton midrange and an 8 inch cabasse bass drivers (unless pat has changed the bass drivers).

They really are phenomenal speakers, but unfortunately too pricey for me.

The bc amps are very good sounding as well and he does give a good price to west aussies.

We'll have to organise for you to come and listen to my system.  I have a modwright swl 9.0 tube preamp and power supply on the way.

regards

rod

WerTicus

The Orions
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2004, 01:01 pm »
Yup it was the raven 1 s + He actually has the Theil Small ceramic midrange on there - but cabasse rings a bell now - I believe that was the bass driver.

Yeah 8 grand isnt so cheap... but in all honesty I felt that for the sound they produced it would be worth it if i had that sort of disposable cash...  !

I went with my business partner and he and i were just slack jawed at the seemingly invisible band in front of us!

I ended up buying some wire to make myself better inductors and ill be getting some high quality capacitors next week to make my crossover 'as good as it can be'... but i fear i will not be happy now untill i have something of the reference 1 quality level! :)

Yes i will have to come and hear the kit you have from WAR! :P
i am in ocean reef myself.
you can email me my name is nathan AT dvstudios.biz (written like that so i am not added to spam list trolling programs.)

Rocket

war audio speakers
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2004, 11:23 pm »
Hi Werticus,

I will send you an email and arrange time for a listen.

The speakers i have are not in the same league but are nontheless still very good.  Pat's speakers are very cheap in comparison to the quality of parts used.

$8000au is very cheap for the reference 1's but i don't have that money to spend.

I've gone in a bit of a different direction now and prefer to buy direct from internet manufacturers.

I have an aksa 100 (nirvana), perpetual technologies p1a/p3a modwright dac and a modwright beta preamp on the way from dan.

regards

rod

WerTicus

The Orions
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2004, 02:16 am »
ahhh the aska... tell you what - ill come over when you have the aska because i have being 'dying' to comepare my amp to it :)