Sunny H2W10 Loudspeakers at CES 2009 - "Best Soundstage" ?

toobluvr

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi.html

Towards bottom of page....under "best soundstage" heading.

I own these speakers, and while I don't have them spread like that, I do have them a good ways into the room with lots of air around them. 

While I can't say I hear that kind of sharply sculptered and super realistic and eerie imaging, I do agree 100% with the author when he describes them as "beguiling" and a "joyful listening experience".

But I don't agree with his allusion to an "off" tonality and a "honkiness".  Not at all...not in the slightest!  Given the design, this was my concern and trepidation when I was first considering these.  But my fears have proven unfounded.

I have enjoyed them immensely these last few months.  Wonderful speakers!

Kudos to Mr Sunny!

:thumb:

Mariusz

Re: Sunny H2W10 Loudspeakers at CES 2009 - "Best Soundstage" ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:15 pm »

"honkiness" ?
I've heard two models from Sunny and they're nice speakers (Except the price. Especially their top 3 offerings) overall.
In both instances I haven't noticed what could have been described as honky  or shouty presentation. They're fine.

Enjoy your new speakers John

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:23 pm »

"honkiness" ?
I've heard two models from Sunny and they're nice speakers (Except the price. Especially their top 3 offerings) overall.
In both instances I haven't noticed what could have been described as honky  or shouty presentation. They're fine.

Enjoy your new speakers John

Cheers

Thanks Mariusz

Due to internal turmoil in the company, Laufer Teknik (NYC distributor / dealer) was running some very nice specials on them a few months ago.  But that might be over now.

Instability within an audio company or uncertainty regarding its future is enough to keep the Nervous Nellies away.  But not me!

I say.....

BUY OPPORTUNITY!!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:38 pm »
Knowing your actual cost and what you got for it - I would say that you did very well.
If you were one of the reviewers, you would have walked out with a bargain.  :lol:
But you are not. :wink:

Mariusz

P.S

did not have the urge to try their cables? :duh:

toobluvr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2009, 08:03 pm »

Sunny cables waaaay too pricey for me, Mariusz!

:o

I'll just have to "suffer" with what I have.

8)

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:17 am »
The other pair I've heard was H3 W155 during 2008 CES in Vegas. It was kind of funny walking out from the neighboring Fostex room just to find T500A super-tweeter on almost 60K Sunny speakers.
Of course I took a look at the system setup & components as well as wiring but was shocked to find out more details on the web about the Sunny products when I got back to the hotel room.
If speakers prices weren't shocking enough their cables did the trick for me.

Now, in regards to amazing soundstage & the award.
I do not recall being amazed by it in that particular room. (different model tho)
No idea how much influence the associated gear had on actual presentation but I doubt that it could have been solely responsible for it.
Maybe it was very well put together setup which was well above competition - there were some really nasty rooms as I recall and it wasn't all the speakers or components fault. Hotel settings and time restrains aren't in participants' favor.

All in all, your gut feeling is very favorable - as far as reviews go.  :lol:

Best

toobluvr

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2009, 01:20 am »
I know nothing about the other Sunny models.  They are pricey for sure, but how they stack up to the competition, and what kindof value they offer, I have no idea. 

My model lists for between $9k and 10k, depending on finish.  Based on what I've heard at that price point I can say they compete very well with similarly priced offerings....very well indeed......and quite possibly might beat most.  IMHO, from a price/ performance perspective relative to others, I don't think they are overpriced at all....if that is what you are trying to suggest Mr Mariusz!
:wink:

Besides...who pays retail anyway?!!

:lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2009, 01:45 am »
I know nothing about the other Sunny models.  They are pricey for sure, but how they stack up to the competition, and what kindof value they offer, I have no idea. 

My model lists for between $9k and 10k, depending on finish.  Based on what I've heard at that price point I can say they compete very well with similarly priced offerings....very well indeed......and quite possibly might beat most.  IMHO, from a price/ performance perspective relative to others, I don't think they are overpriced at all....if that is what you are trying to suggest Mr Mariusz!

I am absolutely not implying that H2W10 are overpriced or not comparative with other offerings in that particular price range. 
Not at all John.
It is irrelevant if you paid retail or not. Compared to other speakers in its LIST price is what I meant.

My previous statement is based on my experience with H3W155 and Majestic.
One reviewer got me really pissed off on Agon and that might be the reason why my wounds are to deep and aren't healing.

When someone says that particular component or speaker is best it affects me the same way waving red cape affects the bull.

I've heard your speakers/rig few times - you know what I think.
Nothing has changed.

Mr. John :lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2009, 01:55 am »

I am absolutely not implying that H2W10 are overpriced or not comparative with other offerings in that particular price range. 
Not at all John.
It is irrelevant if you paid retail or not. Compared to other speakers in its LIST price is what I meant.

My previous statement is based on my experience with H3W155 and Majestic.
One reviewer got me really pissed off on Agon and that might be the reason why my wounds are to deep and aren't healing.

When someone says that particular component or speaker is best it affects me the same way waving red cape affects the bull.

I've heard your speakers/rig few times - you know what I think.
Nothing has changed.

Mr. John :lol:

Was just teasin ya, Mariusz! 

:duel:

I wasn't being defensive.

And I was talking about them being competitive at their list price.....at least ones I have are.   Or at least they are in my opinion.

I can't comment on any other models as I have no experience with them.

PS:  they've come a long way since you heard them.  What with positioning, gear changes, and burn-in, they sound much better now.  And I expect they will get even better as I become more familiar with them and learn how they like to be fed.

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2009, 02:13 am »
I think you were - without reason tho. .

Cheers
Mariusz   :thumb:

ttan98

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2009, 11:59 pm »
The configuration of these speakers is similar to that of AudioKinesis 2-way, Jazz Module, a lot cheaper less than $4,000 a pair. It uses ahigh quality TAD woofer, compression driver and horn. It would be interesting to compare the 2 speakers side by side.

I designed a pair of speakers similar in config as above sounds great, at a fraction of the retail price of either speakers. A worthwhile exercise.

Cheers.