Help: 15" or 10" Silver Iris OB for my room size?

greg7

Help: 15" or 10" Silver Iris OB for my room size?
« on: 3 Feb 2008, 02:40 am »
My room is only 13' x 15'. Should I go for the 10" or 15" Silver Iris? I'm worried about too much bass from the 15".

But I'm new to open baffle and apparently it plays by different (better?) rules than conventional box speakers. I've overloaded my room with bass boom from previous box speakers so I'm cautious.

I can get the speakers up to 3' out from the front wall (and up to 3.5' from side walls).

They'd be driven by 30 push pull tube watts and I don't plan on getting the Auggies, at least until I determine the coax alone is kosher. Thanks.

Brad

Re: Help: 15" or 10" Silver Iris OB for my room size?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:38 am »
I would go with the 15s, especially if you aren't going to do the Augie.
Their bass is really nice.
With a lot of music, I don't even have my Augies turned on.

The OBs tend to play nicer with a room than a boxed bass speaker.

I have driven my 15 SIs with 20w push/pull and it works very well.
I've got good sound in two houses and also at last year's Lone Star Audio fest (that room was pretty close to the 13x15 that you mention)

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:49 am »
Brad: Can you clarify FMI, what "playing nicer with a room than a boxed speaker means?
 THX, Don

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:58 am »
Brad: Can you clarify FMI, what "playing nicer with a room than a boxed speaker means?
 THX, Don
Don,

You mean my vague comment needs a little more detail? :lol:
I'll try:
My SIs (and other open baffles I've tried) have at least sounded GOOD in every room I've tried them in.
With dialing them in, I've generally gotten very good to excellent sound.
I have not found that to be the case with some box speakers (towers, monitors on stands, sealed, ported, etc, etc)

The SIs have a great bass tone, but haven't overwhelmed the rooms I've had them in.

I just prefer (at this point) the OB sound.  It is more realistic to me.  I love the sound of drums/bass with a dipole woofer.

Back on the original question:  Since the 15s go deeper and are more sensitive, they would be my choice over the 10s.
13x15 is not a TINY room - there is some air in there  :wink:

stereogeek

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2008, 08:33 am »
Don-

I have 15" SI's too.My room is 12' x16'(the same cubic feet as your's).I don't have any problems with bass.OB's excite less room nodes than conventinal box speakers.I am still in the building stage.I only plan on adding a 12' sub in a closed box for LFE when watching movies and some SLAM on bass heavy music.

Steve :D