"SB4" is here - the Duet

craig223

Re: "SB4" is here - the Duet
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2008, 10:01 pm »
The Duet should have included a headphone jack and DAC on the remote.  That would give you an iPod like device and no multiple copies of your music.  Throw in some memory and forget the iPod altogether.

Craig

mr_bill

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2008, 10:17 pm »
I believe this is what the Jive remote has - headphone out port and a dac on the remote.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2008, 11:00 am »
The entire receiver should be more easily modded with the display removed.  Modders could start with a fresh cabinet (just keep the remote "eye") to expand the modding options.

What a great setup for the control freaks.  Daddy keeps the remote, so everyone throughout the house listens to what he wants.   :roll:

TomS

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:10 pm »
Oh, please no.  Tell me this isn't going to happen........

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:17 pm »
Oh, please no.  Tell me this isn't going to happen........
"Microsoft has said it plans to continue its acquisition spree this year ....." :?

randytsuch

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2008, 07:53 pm »
The SB Dir of Eng posted this pic on the internals on the slimdevices forum

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=258263&postcount=344

There is definitely less inside compared to the SB2/3.

They removed the headphone amp, along with the geek port switch that used the headphone jack.

They also seem to have removed some lytics they had by the DAC in the SB2/3, which I would think is a bad thing.  They also have only two lytics by the output opamp, and I am guessing they are in series with the opamp's output.

Randy

JEaton

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2008, 08:11 pm »
The main goal was to manufacture a cheaper player than the SB3, which was necessary to keep the total price of receiver and controller combo to $400.  They're aiming for the Sonos crowd, so audio quality isn't a priority.  I'm sure someone will mod it and then hang a $1500 power supply on it, though.

sts9fan

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2008, 08:25 pm »
$1500??  Come on this is new! 2k flat... :duh:
Every change must cost more. 

kbuzz3

Anyone modding the duet yet?
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2008, 03:23 am »
Im thinking about jumping on the SB bandwagon. My preference would be a bolder SB3 but that remote on the duet looks outstanding.  Has anyone announced mods yet. I have not tried the standard remote with an SB but dont know how cost effective it would be to add one at $300 bucks.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2008, 03:25 am »
Well, the new remote is supposed to work with the SB3. I haven't heard if it'll be sold separately or not.  I gotta believe it will as a 'replacement' for any remote that is 'broken'  :roll: :wink:

Bryan
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 02:01 am by bpape »

BradJudy

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2008, 03:32 am »
It is already listed as a stand-alone product called the "Controller" (very original) for $299 - http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_controller.html

csc

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2008, 03:45 am »
Very cool.

Now I just wish MP3Tunes would let you store FLAC files.

EProvenzano

« Reply #33 on: 1 Feb 2008, 02:23 pm »
I currently own a wired only, SB2.

From this:
"Wireless Interface
True 802.11g wireless networking
Bridging capability allows Ethernet devices to connect to the network through Squeezebox Receiver's wireless connection"

I gather I would not be able to use this remote to view Slim Server since my network is wired only.  I'm not network savy.  Can someone confirm this for me?

I would love to have one of these remotes so i could run Slim Server, complete with Album artwork on the built in display.  Very slick!  However, it would be a waste of money if all I could acheive the same basic functions of the standard remote control  :(.

Thanks  :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #34 on: 1 Feb 2008, 03:39 pm »
Yeah, you'll need some form of wireless network to use the new remote since it uses 802.11. 

ToddSTS

« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2008, 03:52 pm »
Yeah, you'll need some form of wireless network to use the new remote since it uses 802.11. 

You would need to do more research, but if you get the Duet (both controller and receiver) for $399 vs. just a remote for $299, you should be able to hook the receiver into your wired network and use the controller to control both your old wired SB2 and the new SBR.

Just a thought.

Todd

mvalera

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:07 am »
The Squeezebox Controller will absolutely connect to your network wirelessly thru your Squeezebox Receiver.

That's how mine is running right now.

Mike
slimdevices.com

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:43 am »
The Squeezebox Controller will absolutely connect to your network wirelessly thru your Squeezebox Receiver.

That's how mine is running right now.

Mike

Mike, is there a place to set this up?  I'm currently using my Controller connected to my home wireless network, but I'm sure I will run into people who won't have a wireless network and will want to connect wirelessly thru the Receiver.

Also, any comments on what the range is for the wireless connection between the Controller and Receiver?