finally!

zipidachimp

finally!
« on: 15 Nov 2007, 08:33 pm »
my first speakers built in 47 years! incredibly clear and transparent, especially with operatic sopranos (angela gheorghiu, wonderful). 8" woofers, 3" full range. will try swapping out the tweeters for domes next week. using a sub.
if the photos don't work, first time trying this as well.
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/zipidachimp/?action=view&current=100_0927.jpg
100_0927.jpg image by zipidachimphttp://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/zipidachimp/?action=view&current=100_0925.jpg
100_0925.jpg image by zipidachimp

next project? correcting a few obvious errors in this one, and building a pair with 10" woofers, and maybe using a dedicated midrange driver. open baffle is the only way!

JeffB

Re: finally!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:40 pm »
Congratulations on your first build.
How about some more details,  drivers used, crossover frequency, baffle dimensions?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:43 pm »
Here is a link to your picture host site for other to see all the pictures.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/zipidachimp/

zipidachimp

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2007, 08:47 am »
thanks, sorta new at this.

I built these as a bit of a lark,simply to get a bigger sound than my paradigms, without buying a larger pair of paradigms, and just to see if I could do it.
the drivers are not the highest quality, but the sound is quite a bit better than I expected, and better than my atoms.

components:  addison electronics 8" woofer, 40 to 4000hz. ( chosen for the cool look only :lol:)
                    tangband 3" fullrange w3-953s (chosen for low price)
                    phillips crossover, 2400hz (chosen for availability and price)

If I had a choice, I'd buy everything from parts express, but ups/customs charges are unreal. all but the                                                   tangbands were bought here (canada)

baffles: 37"x14".  the shape shows what happens when I work from memory: tried to mimic the jamo
r-909.   :duh:
this speaker building is becoming an addiction. I'll try and sell these, because I want to try some ideas I've picked up on this and other forums.

one question I haven't seen answered: why, since they sound so great, are there no lower priced open baffle speakers on the market ? 
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2007, 09:59 am by zipidachimp »

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2007, 04:42 pm »
Ahhhhhh, another OB DIY convert!

Love the effort, and if it sounds good too, that is great.

What would you consider cheap, for an OB driver?

zipidachimp

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2007, 06:27 pm »
listening to sonny rollins now. the difference between a box speaker and these is night and day. everything is crystal clear. drums, cymbals, sax are right there. using a sub for bass.
tangbands were $8.00, woofers $39.00 could have done better for woofers, but these give me a chuckle when I look at them.
I'm wondering, for an OB system if a full range isn't a better choice for tweeter than a tweeter. I'll know next week when I get a pair of hi-vi sd1.1a to try. keep ya posted. 8)

2litre

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2007, 04:03 pm »
Curved baffles, staggered depth wings, cloth on the backside, good starting point.
Nice speakers.

I've tried 3-ways a couple of times and never found them as appealing as a full range with bass assist. But I will say also that I never tried a 3-way with known T/S parameter drivers to work with. I find the simplicity of a full range with bass helper very budget and builder friendly.

Enjoy!

Jim

zipidachimp

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2007, 08:38 pm »
thanks. all of this is new to me. the sound is mezmerising, but so are all of the technical details!  :D
has anyone published a list of drivers that work well in OB?

I'd also like to try a smaller coax on a baffle.