SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

Tweaker

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2007, 04:21 am »

Sounds like good news. By any chance, Tweaker, did you try to see if 15 will even work with SC7?

I haven't. I can't really see any reason to as 15 was used to "fix" the sound and with 7.0 , to my ears anyway, there's nothing to fix.

DSK

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:40 am »

Sounds like good news. By any chance, Tweaker, did you try to see if 15 will even work with SC7?

I haven't. I can't really see any reason to as 15 was used to "fix" the sound and with 7.0 , to my ears anyway, there's nothing to fix.
I'm another dinosaur still using FW15  :D

Don't forget that the phase was inverted on FW15 but not on subsequent versions, so you will need to reverse the connections at the back of your speakers.

Tweaker

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2007, 08:02 am »

Don't forget that the phase was inverted on FW15 but not on subsequent versions, so you will need to reverse the connections at the back of your speakers.

Isn't that the other way around, that 15 doesn't invert phase? In any case that would apply to the analog outs only so not an issue for those of us using the digital outs.

DSK

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2007, 08:22 am »

Isn't that the other way around, that 15 doesn't invert phase?
IIRC the stock SB output was non-inverted but modding it to bypass the opamp in the output stage caused the phase to be inverted. However, this worked out fine for owners of modded SB's because the FW (up to and including 15) was inverted so the net outcome was non-inverted phase for modded SB's using FW15 or earlier.

However, after FW15, the phase was reversed (ie. non-inverted) so owners of modded players had to reverse their speaker cables at one end.

MaxCast

« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2007, 12:21 pm »
Regarding the Jive, I always thought that the squeezebox "interface" should be in a remote and the guts in a box in the rack.
I hope this SB4 is for real as I plan on getting into a server this winter.

JoshK

« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:33 pm »
DSK is right about phase on the modded vs non-modded.

Ferdi

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2007, 09:33 pm »
HI, some more reporting on SlimCenter 7.

I have installed version 7.0a on my Mac Mini (latest Intel version, 10.4.11) and have found that it plays my Apple lossless files fine to a stock SB2.

Without critical listening, I have to say sound quality is fine.

I have found another improvement from 6.5. So far I had been running 6.3 and ripping to apple lossless using Max. 6.5 refused to play those files for some reason so I went back to 6.3. SlimCenter 7 plays those files again.

Slimcenter 7 is also nice and responsive but this may be attributable to the Mac Mini as well.

mcullinan

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2007, 09:51 pm »
HI, some more reporting on SlimCenter 7.

I have installed version 7.0a on my Mac Mini (latest Intel version, 10.4.11) and have found that it plays my Apple lossless files fine to a stock SB2.

Without critical listening, I have to say sound quality is fine.

I have found another improvement from 6.5. So far I had been running 6.3 and ripping to apple lossless using Max. 6.5 refused to play those files for some reason so I went back to 6.3. SlimCenter 7 plays those files again.

Slimcenter 7 is also nice and responsive but this may be attributable to the Mac Mini as well.

Hmm I use Max and SS 6.5.5?? w/e the latest version is and rip apple lossless and they play fine...

My problem is I updated to 10.5 and everything works, except my Sirius plugin went kaputt. Anyone know anything of this.
MIke

avta

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:57 pm »
mcullinan:
Not specifically. Did you run a verify/correct permissions program after installation? I just updated too and ran into a mouse problem but corrected it with that.

tonyptony

« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2007, 11:50 pm »
Hmm I use Max and SS 6.5.5?? w/e the latest version is and rip apple lossless and they play fine...

My problem is I updated to 10.5 and everything works, except my Sirius plugin went kaputt. Anyone know anything of this.
MIke

I read on the Slimdevices forums that the Sirius plugin is broken. The original developer has fixed it but you have to download the newer version. Something to do with Sirius having changed the way it does validation.

mcullinan

« Reply #30 on: 16 Nov 2007, 01:47 am »
thnx for the help guys it works again!
mike

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:47 am »
My RANDOM PLAY has disappeared.  :scratch:

I just updated with the nightly and it is still gone................................... .........Anybody find it? :roll:

All in all 7.0 has a lot of promise!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:58 am »
Menu items like Random Mix, New Music, etc are all pick items from player settings -> menu in V7.  Just add or delete what you need.  Random Mix came as a default for me, though.  I added New Music and deleted a bunch.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2007, 02:21 am »
Random Mix was there when I first set it up. All worked great, then it went "poof!", gone! No where to be found and I have searched everywhere. I have disable and enabled the Random Mix setting numerous times, but it never shows up on the list.   :(

I guess I'll keep downloading nightlies until it shows up again!

JEaton

« Reply #34 on: 18 Nov 2007, 09:55 am »
That looks like an interesting development.  They must be feeling the pressure from Sonos, or just playing catchup.  I'm guessing the next round of Squeezebox may be further along in that direction, maybe including a cheap digital amp stuffed into the box.

This remote's interface looks a bit like that of an iPod.  No doubt it's better than the dreadful across-the-room two line display, but I can't imagine that I'd prefer it to using a browser in either the Nokia or a laptop.  I've used a few iPods and the interface isn't even close to being as convenient.

lcrim

« Reply #35 on: 18 Nov 2007, 09:40 pm »
I installed SlimCenter 7 earlier today.  While I'm not very familiar w/ the new interface, I do think that sound quality has improved noticeably.  Harshness is reduced along with better detail acquisition and microdynamics.
I preferred the music search capabilities of the old interface but I may need more time to feel comfortable with the new GUI.

Bigfish

« Reply #36 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:42 pm »
I installed SlimCenter 7 earlier today.  While I'm not very familiar w/ the new interface, I do think that sound quality has improved noticeably.  Harshness is reduced along with better detail acquisition and microdynamics.
I preferred the music search capabilities of the old interface but I may need more time to feel comfortable with the new GUI.

I downloaded SqueezeCenter today and I agree that music quality is improved over version 6.5.  It is going to take awhile to get use to the new GUI. 

Ken

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #37 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:46 pm »
Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet.  I was going to wait for the next major incremental release but this sounds too interesting.

Bryan

TomS

« Reply #38 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:48 pm »
I haven't tried it yet as I'm worried about screwing up my VERY reliable install on ClarkConnect 4.0 that hasn't been touched in many months.  I sifted through the Linux threads on the Slim Forum but couldn't quite piece together what I have to do.  Anyone have any tips on this for a Linux/CC lightweight?  Does it work?

mr_bill

« Reply #39 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:53 pm »
Hi,
I tried downloading slimcenter 7.0 via the zip file.
I downloaded but that's as far as I got - I don't know how to install the new software.
I had the option in winzip of open or extract or new or........aaarrrgggh!
Whatever I did, I didn't know what I was doing.
Are there a few easy steps someone with more computer knowledge could post to help me through the process of downloading and installing 7.0?
Thanks!
Bill