Bass cancellation by leakage through gaps...

dewar

Bass cancellation by leakage through gaps...
« on: 2 Nov 2007, 12:13 pm »
Hope the title makes sense. I'm wondering if dipole bass leaking through a gap of, say, 5mm would cause much front/back wave cancellation?

I'm thinking of putting my dipole H-baffle subs on the same baffle as my main full range driver. To isolate the main drivers from the vibrations caused by the subwoofer drivers I've had the idea to cut an arch over the bass driver starting from about 2" in from each of the edges of the baffle, by the floor. So the baffle with the main driver will have two bandy legs that will straddle the sub's baffle. I'd have to sand the sub baffle down a bit to get enough gap they dont tough each other, and put supporting legs on both of the baffles that make up each speaker. This is the best idea I can come up with to isolate the main drivers, apart from magnet mounting the main driver and having it not tough the surrounding baffle, but this is beyond my woodworking skills with my current tools.

I'm thinking the bass drivers will need to make use of the total baffle are to reach the depths I want from them, so I'm wondering if they will 'see' just the baffle they are on, or the surrounding baffle as well. Hope this makes sense.

cheers

Bevan

mcgsxr

Re: Bass cancellation by leakage through gaps...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2007, 04:54 pm »
The math portion of this is beyond me, but I would think that since bass waves are very long, that such a small gap would not result in bad results.  My winged baffles have at least that gap, over 30% of their length, due to the hinges being shorter than the overall H of the baffle.

2litre

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2007, 01:58 am »
I agree with mcgsxr.
I noticed no drop in bass response when using thin shims to stabilize my panels on uneven floors. The gap under the baffle was like 1/16 of an inch on one corner. 
I did notice a progressive drop in bass response when using thicker shims under the corners of the baffle while tinkering with lay back angles and experimenting with time delay. The gaps were on the order of 1/4 through 3/4 of an inch during that tinkering.

R/

Jim

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2007, 03:15 am »
Dewar,

If I'm understanding correctly, that the gap will be a distance from the driver that has it's own baffle, then the effect should be small.  I have some of my woofers on magnet mounts and find that the difference is audible if I don't snug them up to the main baffle pretty well.  The pressure differential is greatest right at the driver and decreases rapidly with distance, so a gap in a secondary baffle isn't likely to have much leakage unless the rear or front and rear radiation are physically contained like with a U or H baffle.

dewar

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2007, 05:42 am »
Thanks very much all of you,

B.