Dipole Speaker Concept for SET amp or low powered equivalent

wikin

Inspired by some of the latest OB speakers employing waveguides/compression drivers for tweeter, here's my interpretation of what it might take to build a high efficiency OB speaker suitable for SETs or equivalent.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1230&pos=0

The setup of its passive cross over is that of a 2.5 way. This means the lowest 15" driver (nearest to the floor) will be low passed from about 300hz, while the other 2 15" drivers forming the mtm config will be crossed to the compression driver at about 800hz to 1khz, and from thereon the compression driver with its 12" waveguide will take over.

Per channel basically it'll take 3 units of alpha-15A with it's high qts to obtain the required lossy OB bass and to match the efficiency that of the compression driver. To cross over at 800hz not many compression drivers seem to make it, some of it that seems to to a fair job is the JBL like this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=294-410

What d'ya all think? aa

JohninCR

Re: Dipole Speaker Concept for SET amp or low powered equivalent
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2007, 07:17 pm »
The only thing I don't like about it is the transition to monopole at such a low frequency.  Personally, I prefer to have some oumph controlling OB woofers, but that doesn't mean a low powered solution can't work.  I already went the route of trying to obtain a single amp solution, but now I'm of the opinion that the OB pathway inevitably leads to multi-amping with active control.  It's just so much easier to obtain outstanding results.

John

wikin

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2007, 07:37 pm »
While I agree too that crossing so low to a monopole may seem to defeat the real purpose of OB i.e. openess of the sound may be compromised, putting a Neo8 with open backed to replace the compression driver may not seem like a solid solution, and its efficiency does not really cut it.
Going active is definately the easier and superior mode BUT it's only for us who know how to handle these stuffs. Going passive has its advantage of penetrating deeper in to the mass market consumers/ audio lovers who will be put off by the thought of going active route.
What I'd hope to see from the gurus here is to try to model out the cross over of this given design to see if it's really a doable design. 8)

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:03 pm »
You might have a look at this project at htguide. It's a passive, waveguided dipole but with only medium'ish (~90db) sensitivity.

I think your directivity would be close to correct at that crossover frequency, but you need to calculate it. I don't think you'll be sacrificing openness, but you will be gaining controlled directivity. Going to a three way may be better (crossover may be more difficult) using somewhat smaller drivers and waveguide for the mtm to facilitate a higher crossover frequency. Whatever you decide to go with, the tricky part is usually finding a suitable waveguide.

nullspace

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:10 pm »
I'm not much of a guru so I don't have help to lend, but instead I'll point out a couple great threads over at diyAudio on just the type of project you're talking about: Large midrange for OB??? Scott G ? and Beyond the Ariel.

As for me, I'm working on a 2.5-way with 2x12" Jensen A12s on an OB and a Altec 802-8D on a conical horn, crossed over at ~1600hz.

Regards,
John

wikin

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:16 pm »
Going to a three way may be better (crossover may be more difficult) using somewhat smaller drivers and waveguide for the mtm to facilitate a higher crossover frequency. Whatever you decide to go with, the tricky part is usually finding a suitable waveguide.

The reason for going 2.5 way is to gain bass response from all 3 15" drivers. The lowest driver nearest the floor will run from 20hz to 300hz, and the mtm 15" drivers will run from 20hz to 800hz. So you see this configuration is the only option for this passive design. Going 3 way will sacrifice all the bass output.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:25 pm »
Myself, I am thinking 3-way is the easiest, biamped.  Take something like the BMS 4540nd on a 10" DDS ENG 1-90 waveguide and cross it to something like the Ciare 8.64ND 8" mid at ~1.7khz (18 Sounds has some nice midwoofer offerings too).  The MT would then be crossed over actively to a pair of 15" OB run off a SS brute somewhere around 300hz-400hz.  With some care in crossover construction (not cheap to do it right), the MT could be flea amp worthy.  The impedance hills and valley of the CD on a WG require a multi part xo, especially with a low dampening factor amp like a SET.

gitarretyp

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:30 pm »

The reason for going 2.5 way is to gain bass response from all 3 15" drivers. The lowest driver nearest the floor will run from 20hz to 300hz, and the mtm 15" drivers will run from 20hz to 800hz. So you see this configuration is the only option for this passive design. Going 3 way will sacrifice all the bass output.

Not true. You can implement a passive eq. However, even three of the drivers you're looking at aren't going to have a lot of low frequency output due to the very limited xmax. Also, the qts on the alpha drivers is extremely high. You might look at the pro series of eminence or the ciare nd series drivers for more appropriate specs. Another thought is going with an 18" for the bass and a smaller mtm arrangement.

I'd second Josh's BMS tweeter driver suggestion.

wikin

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:47 pm »
Myself, I am thinking 3-way is the easiest, biamped.  Take something like the BMS 4540nd on a 10" DDS ENG 1-90 waveguide and cross it to something like the Ciare 8.64ND 8" mid at ~1.7khz (18 Sounds has some nice midwoofer offerings too).  The MT would then be crossed over actively to a pair of 15" OB run off a SS brute somewhere around 300hz-400hz.  With some care in crossover construction (not cheap to do it right), the MT could be flea amp worthy.  The impedance hills and valley of the CD on a WG require a multi part xo, especially with a low dampening factor amp like a SET.

Well I'd try not to dwell into the path of semi active Bastani type of design; lets keep it pure simple passive ala R909. My thoughts on the cross over; for the lowest driver implement a 2nd order filter will effectively cause a 6db/octave rolloff at 300hz which will mate to the mtm 15" drivers with natural OB rolloff. At the mtm portion, implement 1st order filter at 800hz for transient perfect results.

wikin

« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:54 pm »

Not true. You can implement a passive eq. However, even three of the drivers you're looking at aren't going to have a lot of low frequency output due to the very limited xmax. Also, the qts on the alpha drivers is extremely high. You might look at the pro series of eminence or the ciare nd series drivers for more appropriate specs. Another thought is going with an 18" for the bass and a smaller mtm arrangement.
[/quote]

Were talking 3x15" driver with high qts per channel doing bass job, you still don't think we'll have enough of low freq?

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/vegas07-vision-of-the-future-emerald-audio.php

JohninCR

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:58 pm »

Well I'd try not to dwell into the path of semi active Bastani type of design; lets keep it pure simple passive ala R909. My thoughts on the cross over; for the lowest driver implement a 2nd order filter will effectively cause a 6db/octave rolloff at 300hz which will mate to the mtm 15" drivers with natural OB rolloff. At the mtm portion, implement 1st order filter at 800hz for transient perfect results.

800hz and 1st order seems like it's begging for trouble.  Plus what about the rear wave throughout the XO region?

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:59 pm »
Well I'd try not to dwell into the path of semi active Bastani type of design; lets keep it pure simple passive ala R909.

Well then you can rule out SETs then IMO.  A set amp isn't going to cut it with a passive dipole design if you are actually EQ'ing it (passively or actively) for the dipole roll off.  Good luck constructing a design that has flat impedance and benign phase!

Edit: I quasi take that back, if you used a SET amp with a lot of gNFB then you could get away with it, but usually SET amps are designed without any gNFB. 

wikin

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:15 pm »

800hz and 1st order seems like it's begging for trouble.  Plus what about the rear wave throughout the XO region?

That's why I'm hoping some gurus here will try and model the concept to see is viability. :wink:

wikin

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:17 pm »
Well I'd try not to dwell into the path of semi active Bastani type of design; lets keep it pure simple passive ala R909.

Well then you can rule out SETs then IMO.  A set amp isn't going to cut it with a passive dipole design if you are actually EQ'ing it (passively or actively) for the dipole roll off.  Good luck constructing a design that has flat impedance and benign phase!

Edit: I quasi take that back, if you used a SET amp with a lot of gNFB then you could get away with it, but usually SET amps are designed without any gNFB. 

Maybe a strong SET like a 211 / 845 would make the cut. Either that or some EL84 push pull triode with NFB.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:34 pm »
My point about SETs not cutting it has more to do with the high output Z then power.  So to that end I don't think the 211 or 845 would be any better than a 300B or smaller tube.   The PP EL84 w/ FB would probably work better because of lower output Z (higher dampening factor).

Still I think it is much easier to do this kind of project with a SS amp on the bass.  A box normally helps you dampen the woofers and takes *some* off of the amp, in OB this isn't so.  Plus with the dipole roll off you need to EQ up the lower end, which take even more power, and usually where the woofer is the most demanding in terms of impedance.  Even guys like Lynn Olson, a triode freak like some of us, call for big bruiser amps on the bass (even with hi-eff drivers). 

Of course, don't let me dishearten you.  It probably can be done, I am just trying to shed some of the realities of this solution.  I think it takes quite a bit of effort to pull off a multi-way passive OB speaker that is SET friendly.

gitarretyp

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:40 pm »
Were talking 3x15" driver with high qts per channel doing bass job, you still don't think we'll have enough of low freq?

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/vegas07-vision-of-the-future-emerald-audio.php

I guess it depends on what you mean by enough, but it looks like three of those drivers are only capable of producing ~90db at 40hz at full xmax on a reasonably sized baffle. I doubt the emerald speakers are using this driver in particular, with their claimed frequency response and applied equalization.

wikin

« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:44 pm »

I guess it depends on what you mean by enough, but it looks like three of those drivers are only capable of producing ~90db at 40hz at full xmax on a reasonably sized baffle. I doubt the emerald speakers are using this driver in particular, with their claimed frequency response and applied equalization.

It is the alpha:

"Audio Nemesis speakers rocked all high-efficiency, high power handling, low excursion pro drivers. BMS compression tweeter with a 10" horn, double Ciare 8" drivers with neodymium mags and, finally, triple 15" Eminence Alpha drivers. Total efficiency? 100. Total size? 60" with a 24" wingspan. $6475 including the DBX crossover below. "

wikin

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:49 pm »
My point about SETs not cutting it has more to do with the high output Z then power.  So to that end I don't think the 211 or 845 would be any better than a 300B or smaller tube.   The PP EL84 w/ FB would probably work better because of lower output Z (higher dampening factor).

Still I think it is much easier to do this kind of project with a SS amp on the bass.  A box normally helps you dampen the woofers and takes *some* off of the amp, in OB this isn't so.  Plus with the dipole roll off you need to EQ up the lower end, which take even more power, and usually where the woofer is the most demanding in terms of impedance.  Even guys like Lynn Olson, a triode freak like some of us, call for big bruiser amps on the bass (even with hi-eff drivers). 

With a passive design like this the idea (quote from R909) is to start off with lots of bass efficiency headroom to counter the dipole rolloff, in this case 3 drivers worth of 15" surface area.
Perhaps if Eminence makes a 15ohm version of that alpha will really help ease the load into the SET amp.
Yeah I get the picture youre painting regarding the ss amps for the bass section.

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:52 pm »
Interesting they use a Ciare 8" driver for mid.  I didn't know that. I just have looked at a lot of data sheets and graphs and noticed the Ciare 8" is one of the special ones...at least on paper.

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:58 pm »
One other thing to wrestle with...  If you use multiple drivers to increase efficiency, counter dipole roll-off and/or increase impedance you also increase the back EMF (more magnets in the system basically).  Back EMF is controlled by low output Z otherwise the back EMF interacts with the output stage of your amp and changes the FR.  No free lunch.   :roll: