my first!

zipidachimp

my first!
« on: 8 Oct 2007, 08:47 am »
just plugged in my first attempt at an OB. I wanted to step up from my paradigm atoms, to that 'room-filling' sound that the atoms couldn't deliver. They really sound 'open' and 'room-filling', but are a bit 'bass shy' (2 drivers, crossed at 2400). I did these on the cheap, to prove something to myself, now I can set about tweaking the bass. not bad for a first attempt.

funny story: saturday I took some excess junk to the second-hand store, and on the way out walked past the stereo section. they had 3 pairs of paradigm titans on a shelf, 2 of ver.1 and 1 of ver.2, all priced at $79.00/pair!, less 25% for stero blow-out weekend. grabbed the ver.2 for $60.00. they sound great!

I've now got 2 pairs of great speakers to compare to my OB when tweaking.  It never rains, but it ....... :lol:

mcgsxr

Re: my first!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2007, 02:53 pm »
Sounds like fun!

What drivers did you use, and what shape OB?

zipidachimp

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2007, 06:58 pm »
p/e tangband 3" tweeters $9.00, addison electronics 8" woofers $39.00 (confession: bought more for looks, as they look hot, blue cones, gold phase plugs), philips cx.

imagine a tapered coffin shape but 40" high. listening to opera right now, phenomenal sound without my sub, but in truth for most music, needs a sub. 

note: for canadian builders, 2 good sources: www.loudspeakers.ca  or: www.addison-electronique.com

I'm strictly a novice experimenter, not a 'theory' guy. Took my new 'used' titans apart saturday night. Geez: these guys must be minting money, a cheap hollow box, fibreglass stuffing, no bracing, nice crossover but couldn't look at drivers as they are glued and screwed in place. big letdown technically, but they do sound good. the latest versions are selling for $400+.

I'll never buy another manufactured speaker again, building provides too much fun and satisfaction!  :P

« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2007, 07:18 pm by zipidachimp »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2007, 07:15 pm »
I'll never buy another manufactured speaker again, building provides too much fun and satisfaction!  :P
AMEN Brother!  :thumb:
Glad to see another fellow try OB.
Got photos of your baffles?

Bob

zipidachimp

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2007, 07:19 pm »
will try and post pics this week.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"