Great site and Thankyou!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:46 pm »
I agree with Rob; it's awesome to be able to get answers and info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.  Guys like Dan Wiggins, and Wayne from Boulder Cables, for example, are fantastic resources to be able to access.  And it is better to know you're dealing w/ a vendor than have them surreptiously posting stuff that's basically advertisement.  The guy from "Audio Tweakers" was notorious for this, and I wouldn't caught on as quick if a fellow HD'er hadn't blown the whistle.

I'd like to see more manufactures than HD had; I think many of 'em woulda stuck around if the site hadn't (on technical grounds) gone to the dogs.  It doesn't make sense for a busy industry guy running his own business to waste time supporting a site that doesn't even support itself.

I'd like to see an Outlaw Audio "Circle", and maybe one for Musical Fidelity.  Naturally there are others, and it's tough being patient.  I can't wait for this site to expand and mature.  Still, I like where this is heading.

bubba966

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:52 pm »
I do appreciate having the manufacturers around. I'd never heard of most of them before I joined HD. Speaking with Wayne on multiple occasions I've found him to be more than helpfull, even if it's nothing to do with what he does. And in speaking with him I had him make me a custom digital coax. And that cable was one of the best improvements I've yet made to my setup.

Direct contact with the manufacturers has helped me quite a bit. And I'm glad they're around here.

JohnR

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2002, 08:10 pm »
OK, I thought about it. I also broke my own rule, but... well, the new site is a learning experience... :-)

thetruth might have a point. However, *if* someone feels like they are being "spammed" by a manufacturer outside of that manuf's forum, then the simple thing to do is say so, and ask for some space.

With regard to why have the site at all, well, it's a big web and there's lots of room in it! Setting up a site like this is actually very straightforward. What's not so easy is figuring out what to do with it :-). Again, we're in the very formative stages right now and the input from people who want to get involved is shaping the way the site is. By the way, we are still very short of moderators... requirements are that you're "known" on HD, and are reasonably level-headed. We need two in each circle. PM theborg...

JohnR

bob82274

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2002, 08:21 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
requirements are that you're "known" on HD, and are reasonably level-headed.

Some how JW doesn't qualify as level-headed... but I guess thats why he was stuck in fight club  :D

thetruth

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2002, 02:31 am »
many people feel that it's a privilege to have a place where they can communicate with the manufacturers directly.

Is there something wrong with using email?

Oh wait, it isn't free advertizing like forum posts are.....

BTW John, the new forum is nice. The server speed is wonderful  :D  :D  And please DON'T allow this forum to be an extension of mess HD as become.....

Thanks
TT

Marbles

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2002, 02:41 am »
Quote from: thetruth
many people feel that it's a privilege to have a place where they can communicate with the manufacturers directly.

BTW John, the new forum is nice. The server speed is wonderful  :D  :D  And please DON'T allow this forum to be an extension of mess HD as become.....

Thanks
TT

So far you seem to be the only one who doesn't want the manufacturers here.

As mentioned above, there are lots of audio websites where they do not allow them for various reasons.

We prever to have them for various reasons.

I hardly think that having a forum on the WWW is "FREE" advertising as it takes up one of the manufacturers most precious resources..their time.

You may not like the fact that we HAVE manufacturers here, and that's fine.  You may go to other websites, or not read their posts, up to you.

As far as an extension of the HD mess.  If your refering to the slowness, and lack of maintenance, that will not happen here I don't beleive.

If your talking about manufacturers being able to say what's on their mind, then I'm afraid you will be disapointed.  Just like others here, they will be allowed to say pretty much what they want.

MaxCast

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2002, 03:10 am »
I believe manufacturers were the success of HD.  Lord knows there are plenty of boards to talk audio.  Talking direct with mfgs. will make this place special, unique and grow.  There is a lot of good info at HD but sadly it will just fade away.  Will we be having review circles or should we just put them in the mfg. circle?

BTW, I'm using space pilot 3 right now.  It would be cool to see the Enterprise come crusing accross my screen.....

Marbles

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2002, 03:16 am »

Ferdi

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2002, 03:26 am »
(can't sleep. It's 4:23 my time.....)

Just chiming in that I like to have manufacturers/retailers on the board. Most of them seem to be very well behaved usually (just like real people).

theborg

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #29 on: 26 Dec 2002, 03:44 am »
[And please DON'T allow this forum to be an extension of mess HD as become.....

I guess I don't understand really what this means either... but we'll do our best. I've received a couple of offers for moderators, and need a couple more... we will soon have another site admin, and we'll be working on setting it up so that it can be maintained by more than one programmer. There's still a lot of work to do in the back end to ensure stability.. but if the guys here help making the visible side of the site happy and smooth(moderators -- hint hint) then the guys on the back end will have a better chance of making that robust too.

Borg

Pez

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2002, 04:01 am »

Thanks
TT

Merely one mans opinion.  Can somebody who posts under the moniker "thetruth" be taken seriously?  :? Sorry but I doubt what you have to say is any more valid than the next man.

hairofthedawg

Great site and Thankyou!
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2002, 04:14 am »
I don't understand it either.  I like having the manufacturers around.  That's why I got into HD in the first place.  Michael Barnes got me hooked on the site in the first place with the philosophy behind his company and although I didn't buy from him, I still enjoy reading about his efforts and the people behind them.  It's nice to read other forums too, especially the Odyssey forum, where I ended up buying my system, and the rest, because there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there, building things.  I've gotten good suggestions from Herbie's site too, and although there aren't many posts there on HD, if you ask, he'll answer.  I guess that's what I liked about HD, being able to ask and get a real answer, rather than corporate drivel.  

Things are shaping up nicely here, wish I could help more, but my job makes me leave at strange times so I can't guarantee I'll be around to do the work.  

If you need financial help, let me know, it's the least I can do for the fantastic sound the users of HD helped me to find.

cheers,

Dick