nOrh HT?

aggielaw

nOrh HT?
« on: 27 Aug 2006, 03:12 am »
I'm thinking about merging my HT and stereo, and wonder what I can "get away with" for an all-nOrh system.  I have synthetic 9.0's now with Murphy XO as my stereo speakers.  I remember reading years ago the 4.0's are the best center speakers in the nOrh line due to their accuracy (which is too bad; I have an extra mini 9.0 cabinet lying around!) but wonder if the Prizm 4.1 is the best choice for center and surrounds, or if I should look at other models?

I should note I already have 10" square marble stands for the rear, so knowing the width and depth of the speaker feet for each model would be very helpful.  Also, I don't have much room on either side of my sofa for the rear channels.  I could make the drums work, but if the prisms are just as good I'll likely go that way.

Those new marble 4.0's sure look sexy.  I wonder how they sound.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: nOrh HT?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:23 pm »
I have a "norh HT":

Sony 40XBR800
Outlaw Pre/Pro
norh ACA with A/V passthrough
marble 9.0s as L+R
marble9.0 as C
Teak Prism 3.0s as LR+RR
Multiamps for L+R
the norh/IRD monoblocks for C,LR,RR

the Prism 3.0s do fine as surrounds - there is not that much information sent there for most applications, but they do give good spatial effects especially with a strong amp, also incredible as 2 channel speakers!

Also consider the Solid Teak Prisms (the larger ones)!

aggielaw

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 01:07 am »
Guys,

Are the shielded version of the mini 9.0's electrically identical to the unshielded versions, such that the crossover values remain the same?

I'm taking Marbles' advice and using a mini 9.0 as my center, and am looking for a used pair of prism or marble (prefably marble) 3.0's for my rear speakers. 

I'm also thinking of building a murphy crossover for the center channel myself because my current pair of mini 9.0's have the crossover in them.  However, the crossovers I had built by Jim Salk were quite expensive, and I'm being cheap at the moment and don't want to pay $200+ in parts for the crossover.  Will I hear a significant difference if I use solid- but cheaper - parts in the center channel?  I think the main price difference is in the caps, which are Mundorf Silver/Oil in the XO's Jim built.  I've heard Auricaps will work quite well and are much less expensive.  What do you guys think?

Also, is Madisound the best place to buy, or can I find the parts cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks,
Howard

alotaklipsch

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 01:46 am »
For HT/IMHO the center channel is the most important, and for the best, use all 5 the same!!!