New CIAudio Products at HE2006!

CIAudio

« on: 29 May 2006, 02:47 am »
At the Los Angeles HE2006, we will be showing production prototypes of the new PLC•1 Remote Controlled Passive Preamplifier & D•400 400w Monoblocks.

PLC•1 is the passive preamp you've all been waiting for...
Features include 4 inputs (#4 input can be internally set as a HT bypass)
Tape Loop, 2 pair of outputs, 12v trigger output, in a milled aluminum chassis with custom remote. Front panel controls as well as remote can control all functions and has both scroll up/down & direct access for all inputs.
Audio circuit uses a custom motorized ALPS Blue Velvet potentiometer and switching is done by high quality relays with gold plated contacts.
Price $895

D•400's are our new 400w (@8 ohm/700w @4 ohm) Class D Monoblocks.
These beasts pump out enough juice for the hungriest of loads, and have all the attributes of our highly acclaimed D series. Other features include milled aluminum chassis with heavy 1/8" steel bottom plate, 12v trigger input (can be turned on/off by PLC-1 remote), front panel mute/play switch, both XLR and RCA inputs. These will be limited production and "built to order".
Price TBD

Production models of both products will be available in about 8-10 weeks.
We will post some photos from the show next week.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2006, 07:01 am »
I would be very interested in D•400s, especially in a different (more conventional) form factor.

With class D monoblocks I can imagine a trend toward placing them (very) near the speakers. Why not, with the reduction in size and weight?

I am building stands for my Timepieces where the top plate will be the top of a shallow box, open to the rear, to hold the amp.

If I made the box tall enough for the CIA shape, it would start to seriously compromise the appearance. I know, I have tried, based on what has been said about the D•200.

The ideal shape for the amp for this use would be narrow, deep and not more than 3 1/2" high.

Did you ever consider selling your monoblocks in two shapes, Dusty?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2006, 07:28 am »
The new 400 chassis is 4.4" high (with feet) and must be this tall to accommodate the innards. Width is 8.5" and depth 14" (excluding protrusion of binding posts). The milled aluminum chassis acts as the heatsink and is vented top & bottom. It cannot be placed in a "box" as it needs air flow to cool properly. They are also pretty heavy at 32 lbs. each.

The 200 can fit in a more compact chassis because of less circuitry, smaller transformer, heatsink requirements etc.

It wouldn't make sense to offer the same product in a variety of chassis...it would be very expensive. Audiophile products are already too expensive for most due to manufacturing in small quantities (these are not mass-market products).

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2006, 07:55 am »
I like those proportions, and the dimensions could work fine for me, although the weight gives me pause. Let's see, 32lbs + 65lbs on a 38" stand...hmmm - better make that bottom plate pretty big!

I don't plan on squeezing them into tight fitting enclosures - I plan for the fit to be loose and there is no structural reason why there could not be ample ventilation above and below for vertical flow-through.
The speakers are not going to be flat against the top, anyway - they'll be on pointy things.

How many watts would be dissipated at idle, roughly?

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2006, 08:05 am »
How many watts would be dissipated at idle, roughly?

Around 30-35w at idle...efficiency goes up with power output. They need some room on the sides as this is where the output devices are mounted to the 1/4" thick heatsink.

HumanMedia

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2006, 09:27 am »
Very exciting!

Any rough indications on price?

And you mentioned  show specials, any chance of extending these to the Audio Circle? - especially those who cant attend?

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2006, 01:46 pm »
Quote from: HumanMedia
Very exciting!

And you mentioned  show specials, any chance of extending these to the Audio Circle? - especially those who cant attend?

What he said! :mrgreen:
A one time, early adopter special price might help get these pieces into the mainstream. Or at least get it into my system!

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2006, 02:41 pm »

And you mentioned show specials, any chance of extending these to the Audio Circle? - especially those who cant attend?

Show specials will be items sold only June 1-4 at the HE2006...that's why its called "Show Special"  :D
These are not fixed prices but package deals put together by myself and the other associated manufacturers, and based on each individual customers needs.

AC members can contact me by email or phone and I'll see what we can work out for you.

D-400 will be $4500 per pair, PLC-1 is $895. These items are not part of the show specials because neither will be available for at least two months.

gme109

Re: New CIAudio Products at HE2006!
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2006, 03:24 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
At the Los Angeles HE2006, we will be showing production prototypes of the new PLC•1 Remote Controlled Passive Preamplifier & D•400 400w Monoblocks.

PLC•1 is the passive preamp you've all been waiting for...
Features include 4 inputs (#4 input can be internally set as a HT bypass)
Tape Loop, 2 pair of outputs, 12v trigger output, in a milled aluminum chassis with custom remote. Front panel controls as well as remote can control all functions and has both scroll up/down & direct access for all inputs.

How many amps will the D400 produce?

CIAudio

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2006, 06:52 pm »
How many amps will the D400 produce?

around 30

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2006, 10:38 pm »
any pictures?

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2006, 12:46 am »
any pictures?

Sorry but we don't have any D•400 photos as of yet, but I'll take a few shots this week at the HE show.

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2006, 05:09 am »
Various Stereophile guys dropped by our display room today and liked what they were hearing. Jon Iverson took a few shots for their show report, which can be found here.
http://blog.stereophile.com/he2006/

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2006, 06:14 am »
Nice look of understated quality on both pieces, Dusty.

NealH

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2006, 11:03 am »
They look nice but gosh, the amplifier is $4500.  Ouch!   That Onkyo looks very nice as well and, it's $699.

brj

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2006, 04:16 pm »
Dusty, aside from the move to the higher power Hypex amp module and presumably beefier power supply (larger toroid, more caps, etc.), does D400 share the same fundamental topology as the D200 and the updated D100, or have other changes been made?

If there are topology updates to the D400, will they propogate back to the D100 and D200 amps?

Thanks!

CIAudio

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2006, 03:30 pm »
Dusty, aside from the move to the higher power Hypex amp module and presumably beefier power supply (larger toroid, more caps, etc.), does D400 share the same fundamental topology as the D200 and the updated D100, or have other changes been made?

If there are topology updates to the D400, will they propogate back to the D100 and D200 amps?

The D-400's sounded great, but are prototypes and still under development...we just thought it would be fun to bring them to the show. I'm still working on a second set, which are an entirely different design. Both are UcD based and will be compared before we decide on the production model.

The two new design changes are the all aluminum chassis and 12v trigger function, which allows turn on/off through the PLC-1's remote. At this time, we have no plans of changing D-100/D-200.

CIAudio

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2006, 04:03 pm »
I'd like thank all AC members who attended the show and stopped by to check us out and say hello.

We had a great show, great sound (considering the room limitations), and alot of fun. Our room was packed full the entire show, and my wife (Christine) and friend (Marie-Eve) handed out CIAudio brochures/carry-bags, which were seen everywhere you looked.

Albert and Jim brought their exceptional loudspeakers and cables, and Billy Bags racks were the final touch for a really nice All-California setup.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2006, 04:13 pm »
The new products look incredible, congratulations...

mattburk

Re: New CIAudio Products at HE2006!
« Reply #19 on: 4 Jul 2006, 07:02 am »
Any plans for a multichannel amp with the same specs?
It would be great if you had a solution for ht or mc audio. Too many outlets needed for 7 monoblocks.