What Volex cable part no: do I need for my D200 amplifiers.

DaveX

Hi Chaps, I'm eagerly awaiting for my D200's to arrive in England UK. I've read good reports on using the Volex power cords but I don't know what part no: to order. I need a British UK plug type but there's more than one BS to choose from and I don't know the amperage rating I should order. Can someone choose the part no: for me from the Volex website. Thank you.

http://volexpowercords.com/power_cords/powercord2.cgi?catagory=international_power_cords&area=other

P.S. I think I might be in trouble here as I think they have a minimum order. I just did a test order for 2 power cords and the catalog quote comes up empty.

P.S. I have an account with RS components, so if I can get the Volex part no: I should be able to order the cables from them.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/home.do?cacheID=ukie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2005, 04:02 am »
Davex:
   Really don't know if I can help but the Volex Cords I have are #17604/C3-25/10. These are the ones Dusty recommends to use with the D-200 amps.

Cheers
                 Charlie

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2005, 04:34 am »
Hi Dave,

The number Charles listed is what we use here in the states.
I'm not sure if they make the equivalent with a UK plug. You want 14g shielded/6'7" length if you can find them.

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2005, 04:54 am »
Alternatively, you could buy the 'merican versions and lop off the molded wall plugs and add your own favorite Euro/British style plugs.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2005, 05:17 am »
Alternatively, you could buy the 'merican versions and lop off the molded wall plugs and add your own favorite Euro/British style plugs.

Yep, but...
The shielding in the Volex is what makes the difference, if your Euro plug doesn't have a ground (some don't), the Volex won't make any real improvement.

DaveX

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2005, 05:20 am »
Quote from: CIAudio
Hi Dave,

The number Charles listed is what we use here in the states.
I'm not sure if they make the equivalent with a UK plug. You want 14g shielded/6'7" length if you can find them.

The 17604 Volex cables are showing up in the RS components search but it doesn't say if the wall plug is UK or american. I have sent RS an email. If I have to cut of the wall plug to attach a UK plug doe's the beldfoil shield attach to the earth pin or is it floating. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2005, 05:42 am »
If I have to cut of the wall plug to attach a UK plug doe's the beldfoil shield attach to the earth pin or is it floating.

The shield attaches to the earth/ground pin of the wall plug.

claud

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2005, 03:09 pm »
Harmonic Tech makes a reasonably priced powercord (AC-11)that Dusty recomends that can be ordered  terminated with your UK connectors. It might even sound better than the Volex. Have you compared them Dusty?

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2005, 06:50 pm »
Yes, The Pro-11 is also a good choice. It is only slightly better performance than the Volex...better bass and dynamics. This is party due to the very tight fitting IEC and wall connectors on the HT cables.

Robert57

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2006, 06:54 pm »
Dusty, is there any reason why the D-200/ 100's's would benefit from shielded power cords more than a traditional SS amp? Sorry if I missed an an explanation elsewhere.

I also would appreciate your take on whether an Audience PowerChord (unshielded) would outperform the Volex (or Harmonic Tech.), given its reputed easy current flow and musicality? Dan Wright has recommended this PC strongly as well. Audience's CEO emailed me that there is no reason his cord needs to be shielded and that their Powerchord performs fine with swtitching amps. Anyone tried the Audience PC with the CIA D-200/100 amps? Unfortunately I need a flexible cord to turn the corner in my tight (shallow) library shelves, and I understand the shielded cords are all very stiff.

Finally I would be interested to hear if people have experimented with Stillpoints ERS paper installed inside the chassis of the D-200/100 to help eliminate any stray EMF and RF noise. With all the dire reports of other switching amps "noise", is it a fair statement that the D-200 and 100 are largely free of these noise issues that would contaminate other components? And if so, is that largely due to the transformer in each power supply, or are there other proprietary design elements that also eliminate the noise?

Thanks.

Rob

CIAudio

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2006, 01:43 am »
Shielded cords are less likely to pick up noise from components, but this does not mean it will sound better than an unshielded type.

Class D amplifiers can produce a lot of high frequency noise (also CD players, DAC's, and products containing switching power supplies), but our amplifiers are extremely low in noise due to the careful layout and parts selection.

Power cords (like any audio cable) are something you have to try and see what you like. What works best on one component is not always what's best on another.

I've had good results with both the Volex and Harmonic Tech cables, but haven't tried the Audience.