Dedicated wiring & outlets

ScottMayo

« Reply #20 on: 7 Nov 2005, 02:56 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
One thing I am going to add to my dedicated outlet box is capacitors across the hot/neutral.  See the following:

http://vhaudio.com/acpowerconditioning.html

They'll fail someday, you realise. Not immediately, but sooner or later a surge will take them out. They aren't rated for this use and caps can fail by going to an open short (I speak from experience). Do you have a fuse between the AC line and the cap? If not, you're betting the house on the circuit breaker's reaction time.

Filtering belongs downstream from fuses, unless you're certain the filter's failure mode isn't dangerous. In the case of a cap the manufacturer doesn't feel like certifying for AC line use, I don't think you have much assurance of that.

Anyway, unless I missed something, throwing a cap across a power line is going to do more than eat ripple - it's going to slightly reshape the sine wave. It shouldn't ever matter - but to be safe, don't decide it's ok to plug a power drill or other large motor into that line (not just the box, the line). The phrase "tank circuit" comes to mind. Make sure you are certain this can't be any sort of problem.

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 7 Nov 2005, 03:48 pm »
Scott's right.  X2 rated caps are ones that can be used across the AC lines, auricaps cannot unless they are downstream of a fuse or breaker (not panel breaker).  Occam has mentioned this fact many times on the Felicia thread.

Carlman

« Reply #22 on: 7 Nov 2005, 07:17 pm »
Quote from: Brian Walsh
Perhaps they are in your opinion, and it's OK, but I hasten to point out that no one, including Gregg Straley, speaks for the Chicago Audio Society.

I have a real problem with people taking liberties and misrepresenting the organization and blah blah blah ...

I never mentioned which club or who was involved..  just that he compared some and pointed me in a good direction.   Don't know why you felt the need to 'hasten to point out' something that wasn't there.

-C

Brian Walsh

« Reply #23 on: 7 Nov 2005, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I never mentioned which club or who was involved..  just that he compared some and pointed me in a good direction.   Don't know why you felt the need to 'hasten to point out' something that wasn't there.

You said he "recommended them to me after his local club did some outlet comparisons." The club (not "his" club) conducted no such comparisons, nor does it make any recommendations. This has been the policy since day one.

Carlman

« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2005, 01:16 am »
Quote from: Brian Walsh
Quote from: Carlman

You said he "recommended them to me after his local club did some outlet comparisons." The club (not "his" club) conducted no such comparisons, nor does it make any recommendations. This has been the policy since day one.

Wow, well you know a lot more than me...  :lol:  I still don't understand the point of your disclaimer since no club names were mentioned... nor do I know which one(s) he belongs.... Is your definition of 'club' limited to the one you belong? :?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #25 on: 9 Nov 2005, 08:01 am »
Brian, Carl.....please keep it civil around here.

Disagreements are fine - overheated ones go to Fight Club.

Thanks,

John / TCG
Founder of Nothing Worthwhile
Moderator - Audio Central