VPC-2 Passive Controller is coming!

CIAudio

« on: 19 Aug 2005, 10:15 pm »
VPC-2 will be released in about 2 weeks. The new model replaces VPC-1 and has a few changes.

VPC-2 will have 2 pair of inputs as before, but now also 2 pair of outputs.
The 2nd pair can be configured by internal gold-plated jumpers as a 2nd pair of variable outs for biamping, or a fixed output used as a Home Theater bypass.
The new model will be $299 and also have the new cosmetics similar to VHP-1.

-Dusty-

Wombat_VC

Re: VPC-2 Passive Controller is coming!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2005, 05:35 am »
Quote from: CIAudio
The 2nd pair can be configured by internal gold-plated jumpers as a 2nd pair of variable outs for biamping, or a fixed output used as a Home Theater bypass.

I thought the function of a HT bypass is somewhat different from the one you mentioned. Shouldn't it suppose to allow the front L & R pre-outs from the AV receiver to go through the VPC2 without volume control and straight to the same amp used by other 2-channel sources connected to the VPC-2?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2005, 05:57 am »
I thought the function of a HT bypass is somewhat different from the one you mentioned. Shouldn't it suppose to allow the front L & R pre-outs from the AV receiver to go through the VPC2 without volume control and straight to the same amp used by other 2-channel sources connected to the VPC-2?

Ours is configured the same as a "tape out", so you can feed a single source to both the 2 channel and HT systems. From you're description, I'm not sure what you're trying to do...it sounds like you want to bypass the VPC-2, not the volume control/preamp in your HT system.

Wombat_VC

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2005, 03:23 pm »
My system is a music and HT hybrid setup, where the front L & R speakers are shared by both the music side and HT side of the system.

Here is how it is connected - the front L & R speakers are connected to the stereo amp which handles all 2-channel sources, but one of the sources is actually the front L & R line signals from my HT amp pre-out. The remaining channels, such as center and surround, are driven by the HT amp.

When I listen to 2-channel music, the HT amp is off. When I watch a DVD, the stereo amp is switched to amplify the front L & R channels of the DVD at a fixed gain. Since my current stereo amp does not have a HT bypass, I fixed the gain by turning the volume control knob to a pre-determined location. The HT amp handles all remaining channels, such as center and surrounds. Overall DVD sountrack volume is controlled by the HT amp.

If my stereo amp has a HT bypass, I don't need to adjust its volume control every time I watch a DVD.

A good example of such HT bypass input can be found on the Musical Fidelity A5 or A3.5.

By the way, I read from another, much older thread that your new passive preamp will have 4 inputs, but your announcement seems to indicate only 2.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2005, 03:46 pm »
The VPC-2 is an updated version of the VPC-1.
We are working on a new full fuction remote controlled passive, but it won't be out until early 2006.

-Dusty-

chadh

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2005, 05:07 am »
The VPC-2 is an updated version of the VPC-1.
We are working on a new full fuction remote controlled passive, but it won't be out until early 2006.

-Dusty-

The new, full-function passive will obviously have more convenient features than the VPC-2 (remote, extra inputs...anything else?), but will the actual volume control technology be the same?  If I care not for a remote, and need only two inputs, is there any reason to wait for the new full function passive?

Or is it too early to tell?

Chad

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2005, 05:26 am »
The new remote model (we don't even have a name/model number for it yet) will also have a tape loop in addition to 4 inputs and 2 pair of outputs and all fuctions will accessible from the remote (vol up/down, input select, tape monitor, mute).

Being passive and using the same type of variable potentiometer as
VPC-2, it will sound essentially the same (like nothing). If you don't care about remote control and the extra inputs/features, VPC-2 is the inexpensive answer.

-Dusty-

JonPugmire

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2005, 04:03 pm »

Ours is configured the same as a "tape out", so you can feed a single source to both the 2 channel and HT systems. From you're description, I'm not sure what you're trying to do...it sounds like you want to bypass the VPC-2, not the volume control/preamp in your HT system.

I believe that most people in need of HT bypass are in the same boat.  (I know I am.)  The front main speakers and amplifier are shared between the HT and 2-channel only systems.  When running the HT, you want all volumes to be controlled by the HT controller (either a HT pre-amp or HT receiver).  When running 2-channel, the HT controller should not be in the signal path.  This means that you can only have one set of interconnects running to the main amp.

Therefore on a separate high quality two channel pre-amp you need a single pair of RCA outs that are switchable, in one position the the switch bypasses the volume control, in the second it doesn't.  The outputs from the HT controller for the front main L/R are then connected to one of the inputs on the 2-channel pre-amp and all 2-channel sources are connected directly to the other inputs on the 2-channel pre-amp.  It's then a flip of the switch between HT and 2-channel.  With a passive, the same thing is accomplished by simply turning the potentiometer to its full on position.  However, that leads to accidents, especially with multiple users in the house, I would prefer to never turn the volume to full on since I would likely forget to turn if back down sometimes and I can't afford new speakers  :wink:

HT bypass probably is not the correct description as indeed we do not wish to bypass the HT, we wish to bypass the volume control on the 2-channel pre-amp.

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2005, 11:50 pm »
Therefore on a separate high quality two channel pre-amp you need a single pair of RCA outs that are switchable, in one position the the switch bypasses the volume control, in the second it doesn't. The outputs from the HT controller for the front main L/R are then connected to one of the inputs on the 2-channel pre-amp and all 2-channel sources are connected directly to the other inputs on the 2-channel pre-amp.

What you describe is what I call a "HT Pass-Thru Input". This feature will be available on our full function remote model to be released later in the year. It didn't make sense to add this to VPC-2 because it would then only have one standard input.

VPC-2 has a 2nd pair of outputs which can used as variable outs for bi-amping or powered subwoofer connections.
It can also be configured as a fixed output for a recording device or to link the same sources into a 2nd system.

Wombat_VC

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2005, 01:30 am »
I agree that HT Pass-Thru is a better description for the function.  :D

ABEX

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2005, 11:53 pm »
This might be what I am looking for.

I want to have Multi-Ch. HT with the capability of using my CDP with a DAC & my analog playback in order to get purity of sound which to me was always more involving.

So I can get the best of both worlds using the Passive Controller in that way,correct?

It's been awhile since I have been into all this.

TIA

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:08 am »
I want to have Multi-Ch. HT with the capability of using my CDP with a DAC & my analog playback in order to get purity of sound which to me was always more involving.

So I can get the best of both worlds using the Passive Controller in that way,correct?

It really depends on what you have and how you want to configure it.
Give me a call during the week and we can discuss your options.

-Dusty-
Channel Islands Audio
(805) 984-8282

ABEX

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:13 am »
Dusty;
Will do that this week when time permits.

Thanks!

ctbarker32

How will VPC "Remote" compare to Audio Alchemy DLC
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:01 am »
Hi,

I still use the Audio Alchemy DLC in one of my systems and continue to be pleased with its performance and convenience.

I was curious how the forthcoming VPC "Remote" model would improve things. I understand it will be passive, which the DLC is not, but I still think the DLC is pretty transparent.

Thanks.

-CB

CIAudio

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:09 am »
We're working on both passive & active models...still not sure if we'll offer one or both models. The active version is similar to DLC but with better performance, much better remote, and also controls on the preamp itself.
We've been sooo busy with production that this project has gotten way behind. Now that VDA-2 is shipping and CES is over, I should be able to spend more time on it. We hope to have it completed before the Stereophile show in June. As always, we will post info here when we're getting close.

CErvin

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2006, 05:40 am »
Dusty:  Couple of questions about the forthcoming "remote passive" unit...
Will there be any XLR outputs to drive the D200's?
Any XLR inputs?
Phase invert function?
Do you have a target price?

Thanks in advance!

CIAudio

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2006, 05:52 am »
Sorry Chris but I can't give you any details at this time. We're working on many projects and not sure which ones/versions will become actual products.

Check our circle regularly, we always post here when we have info on upcoming products.

-Dusty-

DaveX

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2006, 01:00 am »
We're working on both passive & active models...still not sure if we'll offer one or both models.

Dusty, If you do make an active version will it have something like 15 - 20 db of gain. I'm a long (12 foot) interconnect, and short (2 foot) cable beliver. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2006, 06:22 am »
It would have a minimum of 12dB gain, but gain has nothing to do with running long interconnects.

-Dusty-

DaveX

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2006, 03:39 pm »
It would have a minimum of 12dB gain, but gain has nothing to do with running long interconnects.

Could you explain a bit more about driving long interconnects, gain and output voltage. Thanks.