Upgrading question

avta

Re: Upgrading question
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:29 pm »

Panelhead

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2016, 03:58 am »
Sound Dynamics 300Ti speakers with DIY outboard xovers with M Cap Supreme caps, Hi-End air coils and resistors on heatsinks.

I listen to jazz and classical, medium loud, like a grand piano is in the room. I've been playing flute in jazz clubs for about 30 years and am considered to have good ears.

Are the surrounds on the woofers still in good shape? These tended to deteriorate after 5 years or so. This may be climate related plus exposure to UV.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm »
I guess one could say the industry has moved to a tighter sound if comparing it to the ripe, overly lush, "classic" pre-late-1970's sound. :lol:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

But it's funny that you mention that, because I don't recall many asking for less ripe, underly lush sound.  Most want more warm and wet (hot tub) sound.

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2016, 02:33 pm »

Hey, I resemble that remark!

But it's funny that you mention that, because I don't recall many asking for less ripe, underly lush sound.  Most want more warm and wet (hot tub) sound.

Higher resolution formats have dictated the manufacture of higher resolution playback. If you like the hot tub sound, go buy old gear. Nothing wrong with that. Just understand you may be missing out on details deeper in the music (which one would hear live), but the gear is fogging up.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2016, 02:50 pm »
But can't I have detail while in the hot tub?

Seriously, sometimes audiophiles end up getting lost in the forest for all the trees (searching/analyzing detail and lose sense of the music itself).  Ironically I'm a fan of impressionist paintings and have some prints in my listening room.  I enjoy the essence of the mood, form, and color they capture without megapixel detailed accuracy.  It allows my brain's right (emotive) side to bask while the left (analytical) side is almost forced to relax.

I've found that "true" resolution in audio comes from better focus of the imaging rather than more than stark data driven detail.  Does that make sense?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2016, 04:21 pm »

Seriously, sometimes audiophiles end up getting lost in the forest for all the trees (searching/analyzing detail and lose sense of the music itself).  Ironically I'm a fan of impressionist paintings and have some prints in my listening room.  I enjoy the essence of the mood, form, and color they capture without megapixel detailed accuracy.  It allows my brain's right (emotive) side to bask while the left (analytical) side is almost forced to relax.r

I've found that "true" resolution in audio comes from better focus of the imaging rather than more than stark data driven detail.  Does that make sense?

Yes it does. Natural tonality nothing hyped or over analytical. Gotta hit ya in the heart.

charles

bentconvert

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jan 2016, 04:26 pm »
"My primary system, with much more expensive components"

If you haven't done it already you might try substituting the amp, or other components, one at a time from your primary system into this system and see if it gets you what you are looking for.

henrylr

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jan 2016, 06:56 pm »
I replaced the surrounds on the mids and woofers about two years ago.

Regarding room height: it is 8 feet high not 9 feet. At my age I should know better know better than trying to remember something I measured about 10 years ago.

Regarding the outboard xovers: I don’t consider them  clones. Each original woofer xover had an iron core inductor, very small orange drop and 1.5A breaker on a 1 ¼” square printed board. The combined mid/tweeter board had minuscule Hanlon BP caps, about 22GA air core inductors and very cheap resistors on printed boards. All those components were in an area of about 3 ¼” X 2 ¼”.

The outboard xovers have heavy gage Jantzen inductors correctly spaced and oriented, M Cap Supreme caps and very hi-end resistors on heatsinks. Everything is shortest distance point to point wired with silver plated OFHC in PTFE and silver solder. Each xover section is hard wired to it's individual driver with the same wire and silver solder. I chose caps and resistors with slightly different values, than the originals, by trial and error.

Now back to amps. Any thoughts on the Parasound Halo A23?

henrylr

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jan 2016, 08:31 pm »
Well my main system, which I have not listened to in about 4 or 5 months, is not as shabby as I thought…another symptom of age and poor memory. I have been listening to my Adcom system with the drivers re-coned, xover mods and cool wires and cables. As I mentioned drums sticks on cymbals are fantastic. The sound stage is pretty wide but not as deep or high, think listening to Mahler, as I would like.

Well last night I listened to the main system and I heard the great sound stage I’d forgotten.

Sound was outside, behind, in front and above the speakers…great. The only thing missing is the clarity of wood drum stick sound on cymbals. They could be heard but not as accurately as the second system. It is missing real subtlety in refinement. I’m hoping the outboard xovers I’ve designed for the B&W N803s will do the trick. They come stock with pretty shabby components and component positioning.

It's also a bigger room:26'L X 16'W X 9'H... for sure. Speakers are along the 16'W wall on either side of a large fireplace and 42" away from the back wall and 34" away from side walls to front center of speakers.

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2016, 08:43 pm »

Seriously, sometimes audiophiles end up getting lost in the forest for all the trees (searching/analyzing detail and lose sense of the music itself).  Ironically I'm a fan of impressionist paintings and have some prints in my listening room.  I enjoy the essence of the mood, form, and color they capture without megapixel detailed accuracy.  It allows my brain's right (emotive) side to bask while the left (analytical) side is almost forced to relax.

When I speak of resolution, I'm not talking about data. In the example of your paintings, resolution would equate to being able to see the brush strokes, the build up of paint, and the vibrance of colors. Put that painting behind a steamy glass (due to the hot tub) and sure the painting is still there, but the beauty in the details are difficult to make out. I prefer not to display paintings behind foggy glass.

werd

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jan 2016, 09:02 pm »
When I speak of resolution, I'm not talking about data. In the example of your paintings, resolution would equate to being able to see the brush strokes, the build up of paint, and the vibrance of colors. Put that painting behind a steamy glass (due to the hot tub) and sure the painting is still there, but the beauty in the details are difficult to make out. I prefer not to display paintings behind foggy glass.

What you are talking about is noise and distortions hampering resolution. Not necessarily resolution because different speakers and systems do different things to resolution that help define their resolution. A cable make be dark or more neutral.  This can describe their resolution.

RDavidson

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2016, 09:34 pm »
What you are talking about is noise and distortions hampering resolution. Not necessarily resolution because different speakers and systems do different things to resolution that help define their resolution. A cable make be dark or more neutral.  This can describe their resolution.

With the understanding that there is no such thing as a perfect system (ie one with zero distortion and can reproduce the live event with absolutely zero loss) resolution is always obscured in some way or lost entirely by our systems. Resolution doesn't define itself. Our systems' resolution is defined by how close to reality they reproduce the original sound (by the musician(s)). Every single piece of equipment in our systems, down to the wire, affect resolution. With that in mind and back to JLM's example, I prefer to view the painting in its entirety, unobscured as much as possible. However, the painting will look different under laboratory lights versus warm home lighting. Given the choice, and I think most here would agree, it would be better to view the painting in warm lighting than sterile lighting. THAT'S the key. One can retain a large amount of resolution from a recording with carefully chosen gear. And if you're really careful, you can also choose the "lighting," and other obscuring characteristics of the system, to your liking while retaining resolution. One can get some warmth without going full-on, steamy, bubbling, hot tub.

To me, this is where the industry has headed. It has chased resolution and in that pursuit it has moved away from obscuring it. That's a good thing.

henrylr

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2016, 01:31 am »
I agree with the above. I think it captures what most if not all of us want to experience... but how about some input on the Parasound Halo 23 question?

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jan 2016, 03:19 pm »
I haven't heard the A23, but many here like the A21 a lot. I believe both amps put out their first few watts in class A, so that's good. I'm sure the two amps sound very similar. I think the A23 would be a very nice upgrade over your Adcom.

henrylr

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jan 2016, 08:56 pm »
I just came across a 47 Labs Shigaraki 4717 Integrated Amplifier and remember great reviews for their products. Any thoughts on this integrated?

Thanks,
henrylr

henrylr

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2016, 02:04 am »
In one of the replies I got it was recommended that a good option is an integrated....one less power cord and pair of interconnects. I've decided to get an integrated and after hours of research have decided, based on glowing reviews, I will go with either Mistral, Unison Research Unico Tube-Mosfet Integrated or Lab 47. I asked for feedback on the Mistral and Lab 47, but is anyone one familiar with the Unison?

RDavidson

« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2016, 03:24 am »
If you're wanting an integrated, I'd take a long look at the Rogue Sphinx. I have yet to read anything negative about it or Rogue as a company.

JohnCZ

« Reply #37 on: 2 Feb 2016, 03:27 am »
If you are still considering the upgrade route on the Adcom, I strongly suggest looking at the upgrade options with Musical Concepts/Musical Design and talk to John.

http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_AdcomAmp_mods.html

I've heard one of his Adcom and Hafler mods and they are outstanding. Almost had my Adcom upgraded when I picked up one of his amps, the T75 and it is outstanding. I used to have numerous Audio Research amps, ss and tube, not going back now.
John

henrylr

« Reply #38 on: 2 Feb 2016, 08:10 pm »
Well a change of plans. I just bought a mint McCormack Deluxe Edition DNA 0.5. I like my Aragon 18K MII and this provides a good use for it. Hoping it all sounds good. I'll let you all Know. Just thought I might even try my Audible Illusions M3A with it.

henrylr

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:16 pm »
The McCormack is hooked up and it's like having a new system. The sound is great and I think I got the refinement I was looking for.

I spoke with Steve McCormack at SMC Audio and sent pics. They called me within about two hours and told me all the particulars about it. They also said they have an update that makes a vast improvement...making it sound like new amps in the $7k range. Very tempting but I'm just gonna dig it for a while.