Ultimate Outlet Question

DVV

Ultimate Outlet Question
« Reply #40 on: 7 Oct 2004, 06:54 am »
Quote from: Jay S
Hi Dejan, I was quite frustrated with my search for a power conditioner that would work well in my place without failing (e.g. blown capacitor, power cord failure, etc) or tripping the RCD in my circuit box.  Since Gilbert @ Blue Circle was quite familiar with UK/HK wiring standards, I felt most comfortable buying his balanced power supply.  From memory, both the DeZorel and Blue Circle improved the sound of my system in similar ways... if I had a current hungry amp (which I don't) I would have probably per ...

Essentially, it's a game of elimination. You eliminate problems which have been definitely pinpointed. To be able to judge your system critically, you need to eliminate the problems coming from the outside and effecting your system - hence the power line filter.

So, you start from the filter, not end up with it. Once you have decided a line filter is good, buy it or make it, then start sifting through your components.

Of course, this is, realistically speaking, a theoretical model, because we all have tons of the stuff already before we get to the filter. So, we must accept the risk that the filter will show up shortcomings elsewhere, in the transport, in your case.

Oh well, the quest continues ...

Cheers,
DVV

Psychicanimal

Ultimate Outlet Question
« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2004, 02:55 am »
Quote from: DVV
Throw in a panzer division, and I'll buy it. :lol: Where do you insert Heinz Tartar Sauce? :mrgreen:

Francisco, compadre, please read your own text - it almost seems like your audio comes as an afterthought to killing any and all noise. Also, and I could be worng here, it doesn't sound ellegant and simple at all, quite to the contrary.

Say, how about a pic or two? Just to give us an idea how all that looks put together.

Cheers,
DVV

I don't have any pictures, but the setup is pretty straightforward.   The T4 filters are compact for their weight (60-65 lbs) and all that is lying around is the AudioPower parallel filter, which happens to have a volt meter.  What I paid for the setup is truly a steal.  In the future I plan to add a second isolation transformer--A 2.4 KW Xentek Extreme I got in eBay for $29.95 USD + shipping  ($78 total).  I can't complain.

Maybe in the future I'll have Mr. Hyde build me a custom DeZorel brick for installation at the panel level... :rotflmao:

Psychicanimal

Ultimate Outlet Question
« Reply #42 on: 11 Oct 2004, 02:59 am »
Quote from: OBF
Fransisco,

Any idea how the old Elgar conditioners would compare spec-wise with the other gear being discussed here?  The fan noise was so unbearable I disabled mine, so now it overheats easily, but still works quite well with my front projector.

If I remember well the 6006 has noise reduction specs of (-70 dB), plus the regenerating feature.  It's a bad idea to disable the fan.  :nono:  With some careful research you should be able to find a quieter fan.  Did you install a cryo'ed outlet?  I did--plus cleaned all the internal contacts.  That made a HUGE difference in performance.

Psychicanimal

Ultimate Outlet Question
« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2004, 03:10 am »
Quote from: Jay S
In spite of all that, I need a better transport.

Transport performance is sooo much critical than DAC, in my experience... :o   I recently had an Audio Logic tube DAC and my $349 Channel Islands DAC (with wall wart transformer) was 90% of the $4800 AL's performance.  So be it. :oops:

From AIWA changer to belt drive to modded belt drive the system's performance changed so much it's not funny.  A proper power delivery/noise control rig is the foundation to make sound decisions.

Yes Jay, kick ass power delivery/noise control can be done relatively inexpensively.  I paid $100 for my 95 lb, 3 KW ONEAC, $78 for my 2.4 Xentek and you don't want to know how much I paid for the T4's.  One was $xxx in eBay.  The Audio Power parallel filter was $24.50 plus shipping.  So Dejan, whatever clutter present is more than bearable given the ridiculous low price of my power rig.

OBF

Ultimate Outlet Question
« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2004, 03:22 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
It's a bad idea to disable the fan.  :nono:  With some careful research you should be able to find a quieter fan.  Did you install a cryo'e ...

It's not possible to remove the old fan without disassembling half the unit, i.e. removing the rails that form the forced air tunnel, the transformer, heat sink, and a bunch of other stuff that's bolted to the chassi.  That was my original plan but it got a lot more difficult than I expected.  Plus the fan doens't have any specs that I can find either.  I've heard of other people installing a thermostat to run the fan and that's probably the way to go, but it's over my head.

You think a cryoed outlet would make a visible improvement in my picture?  I guess it wouldn't cost too much to try.

Psychicanimal

Ultimate Outlet Question
« Reply #45 on: 12 Oct 2004, 03:53 pm »
It's not possible to remove the old fan without disassembling half the unit,

It's OK to have the unit far away & devise some sort of box w/ cheap acoustic foam

http://www.foambymail.com

You think a cryoed outlet would make a visible improvement in my picture?

BIG TIME

Clean the contacts inside!!!!!  THere's two plugs w/ about 10-12 contacts.  It's a bitch to clean, but these are surplus units that have never been cleaned.  Once you do that and the outlet you're going to fall on your ass...