NFL Football ('15 -'16)

vinyl_lady

Re: NFL Football ('15 -'16)
« Reply #300 on: 25 Jan 2016, 07:42 pm »
Denver's D is really elite and Wade Phillips might be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. His schemes really frustrated Brady & New England. If their starting safeties are able to play, and Peyton doesn't turn it over, I think Carolina will have trouble scoring 20 points. If Baltimore can win a super bowl with Trent Dilfer and a great D, Denver can win with Peyton in the twilight of his career and a great D. He is still the best game manager playing the position and he is healthier than at any time this year. His teammates know this is Peyton's last opportunity and I think they will ratchet it up a notch. I think this is going to be a really good super bowl.

roscoeiii

« Reply #301 on: 25 Jan 2016, 08:00 pm »
Denver's D is really elite and Wade Phillips might be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. His schemes really frustrated Brady & New England. If their starting safeties are able to play, and Peyton doesn't turn it over, I think Carolina will have trouble scoring 20 points. If Baltimore can win a super bowl with Trent Dilfer and a great D, Denver can win with Peyton in the twilight of his career and a great D. He is still the best game manager playing the position and he is healthier than at any time this year. His teammates know this is Peyton's last opportunity and I think they will ratchet it up a notch. I think this is going to be a really good super bowl.

Agreed that it ought to be a great game. 2 really stellar Ds. Cam and that Carolina offense will be a different sort of challenge for Denver's D. But Wade has 2 weeks to scheme...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #302 on: 25 Jan 2016, 08:01 pm »
There is definite merit in those observations but don't forget that Ron Rivera is a pretty masterful DC himself. As usual, a lot will depend on the refs and how they choose to call the game.
It also should be considered that "Superman" is really quite a baby. If Carolina does not get off to their usual blazing start, he might start to melt down. Let's see how much fun he's having if the sack machine gets up his ass early. He may have the guts to dig deep but let's remember that the Bronkies just beat two of the toughest, most resilient and crafty QBs in the league, Brady and Ruthlessgroper. They also beat Phillip Rivers twice and he might well be the best passer in the NFL. I thank my lucky stars every year when the Charger management fails to give him the coaching and personnel that he warrants.
Lots to consider on both sides of the argument but I'm sure Kubiak knows they can't go down 31-0 in the first half and bounce back with Manning's near miss passing. This should be a thrilling game.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #303 on: 25 Jan 2016, 08:11 pm »
They also beat Phillip Rivers twice and he might well be the best passer in the NFL. I thank my lucky stars every year when the Charger management fails to give him the coaching and personnel that he warrants.

I certainly agree with this statement. He would be scary good if he had the tools to compliment his passing ability.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #304 on: 25 Jan 2016, 09:10 pm »

stlrman

« Reply #305 on: 25 Jan 2016, 10:26 pm »
Lol Brick!!im in the blue for sure . Plus I would like to see Payton win on his way out . Fat chance , I think.

Stercom

« Reply #306 on: 26 Jan 2016, 12:41 am »
It also should be considered that "Superman" is really quite a baby. If Carolina does not get off to their usual blazing start, he might start to melt down. Let's see how much fun he's having if the sack machine gets up his ass early. He may have the guts to dig deep but let's remember that the Bronkies just beat two of the toughest, most resilient and crafty QBs in the league, Brady and Ruthlessgroper.

Newton is a baby? Brady whines every time he gets hit. You don't win 15 regular season games and 2 playoff games if you have a propensity to "melt down." The simple truth is both Brady and "Ruthlessgroper" can't run as well as Newton. I don't think the Seattle and Arizona defenses are slouches when it comes to sacking quarterbacks. Every time Denver blitzes its just another chance for Newton to make a big play - its one of the main reasons Carolina was the #1 scoring offense in the NFL this year.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #307 on: 26 Jan 2016, 12:50 am »
Newton is a baby? Brady whines every time he gets hit. You don't win 15 regular season games and 2 playoff games if you have a propensity to "melt down." The simple truth is both Brady and "Ruthlessgroper" can't run as well as Newton. I don't think the Seattle and Arizona defenses are slouches when it comes to sacking quarterbacks. Every time Denver blitzes its just another chance for Newton to make a big play - its one of the main reasons Carolina was the #1 scoring offense in the NFL this year.

But Denver was rushing 3 or 4 many times. That's what makes them especially scary. And IIRC, Panthers haven't played from behind much this year. How they react in that situation is an open Question.

finsup

« Reply #308 on: 26 Jan 2016, 01:08 am »
I just turned it off after Carolina decided to go for 2 points with under 6 minutes on the clock. At some point you have to realize that you've won, anything else is just running up the score.

Go, Broncos!

I thought the same thing when they lined up, but then it was announced this was the first time Carolina had gone for two all season so why not do it with nothing on the line and the SB coming up next?

Denver's D is really elite and Wade Phillips might be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. His schemes really frustrated Brady & New England.

I hope you're right.  Wade has been at the scene of the crime as a DC before in too many Bronco SB blow-outs. 

I'm on a permanent boycott of Fox, so I'll wait to find out the final outcome of the Panther/Cardinals game.

My boycott is tiny bit of personal civil disobedience.

Hmmm, and here I thought Fox was the anti-establishment media. :icon_lol:

I've been a long-time Bronco fan but now live near Charlotte and have posted a couple of times this season that the Panthers have not gotten the respect they deserve. They are the best team right now.  I want them to win for that reason.  But I want Peyton to go out a winner and hang it up as Elway did, so Go Broncs.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #309 on: 26 Jan 2016, 01:15 am »
I don't think the Seattle and Arizona defenses are slouches when it comes to sacking quarterbacks.

According to NFL stats, Denver was #1 defense and #1 in sacks. Seattle was 17th in sacks and Arizona was 21st. Carolina was 6th. FWIW, NE was 2nd and Pitts 3rd in sacks.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #310 on: 26 Jan 2016, 02:13 am »
For what it's worth, the NFL does love a marketable storyline and Peyton brings that in spades. He's a pretty widely admired player who was abandoned by his career team when neck injuries looked like they would end his career. He recovered - partially - and found a new team. Upon doing so he broke most single season records for scoring and passing on his way to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, in that game he reinforced the popular meme about his inability to come through in the big one.
But now he's back in the big game again despite having missed 7 games this season due to multiple injuries. He's nearly 40 now and I think the very underrated team behind him is going to pull off the Super Bowl upset.
By next weekend we will all be drowning in hype and speculation. Now is a good time to remember another Lombardi quote about "any given Sunday".

Stercom

« Reply #311 on: 26 Jan 2016, 02:18 am »
Seattle had the #2 defense in the NFL and Arizonia#5. New England #9 and Pittsburgh #21. Regardless of the number of sacks actually recorded I stand by the statement that Seattle and Arizonia are no slouches at rushing the passer. The common misconception is if you blitz Newton or put more pressure on him he will come unglued and lose the game.  Thats not what happens. Instead, more often than not, he runs and makes the first down or hits the man thats been left with single coverage. I think Wade Phillips will do what Seattle and Arizona should have done, which is drop extra guys into shallow coverage who can cover the short receiving routes and help stop the run. Don't let Newton get more than 2 or 3 yards a carry.  You are then gambling that he can't throw the deep ball consistently - or that Ginn will drop a perfect deep pass. If that happens, I agree, Carolina won't score more than a couple touchdowns and Denver will have a much better chance of winning. You bring lots of extra pressure on Newton and Carolina will put up 31 or 49 points.....and he will be dancing, handing footballs to little kids and smiling all the way to a NFL Championship.

« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2016, 09:01 am by Stercom »

roscoeiii

« Reply #312 on: 26 Jan 2016, 03:44 pm »
Seattle had the #2 defense in the NFL and Arizonia#5. New England #9 and Pittsburgh #21. Regardless of the number of sacks actually recorded I stand by the statement that Seattle and Arizonia are no slouches at rushing the passer. The common misconception is if you blitz Newton or put more pressure on him he will come unglued and lose the game.  Thats not what happens. Instead, more often than not, he runs and makes the first down or hits the man thats been left with single coverage. I think Wade Phillips will do what Seattle and Arizona should have done, which is drop extra guys into shallow coverage who can cover the short receiving routes and help stop the run. Don't let Newton get more than 2 or 3 yards a carry.  You are then gambling that he can't throw the deep ball consistently - or that Ginn will drop a perfect deep pass. If that happens, I agree, Carolina won't score more than a couple touchdowns and Denver will have a much better chance of winning. You bring lots of extra pressure on Newton and Carolina will put up 31 or 49 points.....and he will be dancing, handing footballs to little kids and smiling all the way to a NFL Championship.

Yeah, the Broncos advantage should be an ability to bring pressure with a smaller number of rushers. Though I am not sure how much of that success against NE was due to weaknesses on the NE O-line. Not sure how Carolina's O-line compares in that respect, but from following the Panthers casually I get the impression that they are very well-rounded and pretty strong to excellent in all areas but the receiving core. And having G-Reg Olsen helps make up for some of that.

mick wolfe

« Reply #313 on: 26 Jan 2016, 04:12 pm »
Yes Roscoe, and each day Greg Olsen thanks his lucky stars he's no longer a Bear.

mick wolfe

« Reply #314 on: 26 Jan 2016, 04:24 pm »
Carson Palmer sucks SH#T!!

Just when Brian Hoyer was about to step up and accept the trophy for the finest display of quarterback incompetence in the 2016 playoffs, Palmer snatched it away. In a rather vigorous manner I might add.

Stercom

« Reply #315 on: 26 Jan 2016, 04:31 pm »
Yeah, the Broncos advantage should be an ability to bring pressure with a smaller number of rushers. Though I am not sure how much of that success against NE was due to weaknesses on the NE O-line. Not sure how Carolina's O-line compares in that respect, but from following the Panthers casually I get the impression that they are very well-rounded and pretty strong to excellent in all areas but the receiving core. And having G-Reg Olsen helps make up for some of that.

Agreed.  Getting to Newton with only 3 or 4 guys rushing is the key for Denver.  Easier said than done though. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #316 on: 26 Jan 2016, 04:45 pm »

I hope you're right.  Wade has been at the scene of the crime as a DC before in too many Bronco SB blow-outs. 

But he didn't have defensive talent then he has now. The Broncos were out-manned in those blowouts.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #317 on: 26 Jan 2016, 08:55 pm »
Just when Brian Hoyer was about to step up and accept the trophy for the finest display of quarterback incompetence in the 2016 playoffs, Palmer snatched it away. In a rather vigorous manner I might add.

I still can't believe Palmer's decision making in the last two games...waited all season for that?

Just saw this though that popped up on nfl.com. Surprised to see the names on this list next to Palmer.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000628659/carson-palmer-donovan-mcnabb-among-10-biggest-playoff-disappointments

stlrman

« Reply #318 on: 7 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm »
Rooting for the underdogs. Really, I just want to see an entertaining, close game.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #319 on: 7 Feb 2016, 11:10 pm »
I'm hoping this is going to be a good game with the Broncos coming out on top.
We'll see!