DAC upgrade, what to buy???

dyohn

• the12volt.com
Re: DAC upgrade, what to buy???
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2014, 04:17 pm »
I recently updated by USB DACs to Wavelength Audio.  I now have a Brick in my main system and the Proton in my office headphone rig and I love the sound from both of these.  Recommended devices to audition.

Austin08

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2014, 04:18 pm »
If you like the sound, why not repair the CJ?  It will be cheaper and you won't have to guess whether the others will give you the same type of sound.

Fixing would cost as much as its resale value. I would fix it if I know for sure it would sound better than Oppo 105. I can not confirm that at this moment because everytime I pushed my system hard, there were distortion from both speakers. The distortion is not really loud but loud enough to distract me from listening. I can tell the character of the sound but clearly can not confirm it is a winner.

Austin08

« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2014, 04:24 pm »
I recently updated by USB DACs to Wavelength Audio.  I now have a Brick in my main system and the Proton in my office headphone rig and I love the sound from both of these.  Recommended devices to audition.

Wavelength audio is one of those company that I respected. I own Salk speakers and Jim Salk used to own one too so that mean their dacs must be really good. May have to look into it. Thanks

Austin.

wisnon

« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2014, 05:13 pm »
Oh Yeah, how could I forget those sexy BMC chassis and sleek looking Chord. Did you or do you own one of those dac that you are mention above? BMC dac sure match my deco style perfectly.

Thanks
Austin

I own the Qute HD and Lampi L4.
I have a UK buddy with the L5 and the BMC as a backup Dac. He had a Vega and sent it back after 2 weeks. Not his sound.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2014, 08:33 am by wisnon »

Austin08

« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2014, 05:34 pm »
I own the Qute HD and Lampi L4.
I have a UK buddy with the L5 and the BMC as a backup Dac. Hwe had a Vega and sent it back after 2 weeks. Not his sound.

That is a first -1 for Vega.

jdodmead

« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2014, 05:58 pm »
Have you thought of DB Labs Tranquility? I replaced a W4Sdac2 with that and it is much more natural. I now use an upgraded Tranquility and still have the base model. If you are interested, I am only asking $450 for it, plus shipping.

I'll be listing it on the Trading Post later today.

Thanks
Jeff

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #46 on: 12 May 2014, 01:56 am »

What a surprise today, I found a lost treasure. I took my 15 years old CJ DA3 out of my clothes. Hook it up and Whoa.!!!! It sounds very good after 13 years sleeping in the box. I can not say it trumps my Oppo 105 but it take me to a very different path of music reproduction. Despite some noise I got as first start up and a bit distortion at 0° phase position. Also sound output is low, it is back to normal operation now. No noise and gain seems to be stable. With 180° phase position (I prefer this mode in my system) The sound is very pleasing. Tight and tuneful bass, nice and warm midrange and a bit lay back or roll off on top. Very CJ, very tubey feeling, very analog. I will give it a try over the weekend. I suspect sound will improve if I have a better digital cable on hand. Right now I am using cheapy $10 Belkin optical that I find in my junk cables box. Never know what you will find under your pillow. At this point, I like what I am hearing now. I can feel the Oppo got more punch and openness. Stay tune, there will be good old technology dac vs state of the art modern dac report.

Austin

What BAT preamp is that on the bottom?  I have a VK-51se

Austin08

« Reply #47 on: 12 May 2014, 02:06 am »
What BAT preamp is that on the bottom?  I have a VK-51se

It is Bat Vk32se. It replaced the Vk31 and lead my system to a whole new level.

ltr317

« Reply #48 on: 12 May 2014, 03:28 am »
Oh Yeah, how could I forget those sexy BMC chassis and sleek looking Chord. Did you or do you own one of those dac that you are mention above? BMC dac sure match my deco style perfectly.

Thanks
Austin

I reviewed the PureDac recently for Dagogo and don't think it may be the right piece for you, based on your sound preference in your original post.  But if you can audition one you should, it may match if you have a warm sounding system. 

Austin08

« Reply #49 on: 12 May 2014, 04:43 am »
I reviewed the PureDac recently for Dagogo and don't think it may be the right piece for you, based on your sound preference in your original post.  But if you can audition one you should, it may match if you have a warm sounding system.

Thanks, really appreciated. So what dac in your mind that would fit my system well?
Austin

bjski

« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2014, 09:23 pm »
It is Bat Vk32se. It replaced the Vk31 and lead my system to a whole new level.
I have a Bat 32SE. Have you thought about upgrading to the 33SE? Are you using NOS tubes?

My vote is for a Bryston BDA-2. They are working on new software so it can play DSD. If you go with a BDA-1 you would need to get a Bryston BUC-1 for the future DSD.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #51 on: 20 May 2014, 02:22 am »
I've been demoing the auralic vega for the last week. Astonishingly good. Really leaves behind my current Bel Canto 1.5 even with a custom high end linear power supply. But.....it's not going to produce a warming / meatier sound if that's what your after. What it will do is incredible resolution, clarity, transparency, great bass control all while being very organic / natural sounding (i.e with no obvious imbalance tonally or otherwise).  It just presents more of everything and does it well vs my Bel Canto, which retails for $1400 without an upgraded power supply. I do think it's more than twice as good at more than twice the price. But perhaps like you my only doubt is if I can get 80-90% of the performance at half the price from say a Mytek or the latest Benchmark. DACs just keep improving and dropping in price dramatically that it seems almost suicidal to spend more than $2k unless you have deep pockets. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #52 on: 20 May 2014, 02:53 am »
I bought the Sony and could never be happier. I doubt if I will ever go back to a stand alone Dac. I now listen to the internet radio that Sony provides about 70-80% of the time. There is an AC'er that compared the stock Sony to a Modwright 5400ES and called it a deat heat. The stock Sony is very meaty and organic sounding.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124908.msg1326940#msg1326940

Austin08

« Reply #53 on: 20 May 2014, 02:59 am »
Thanks all for your input and comment. While certainly, the Vega and Lampi L4G4 got high praise here and everywhere, i think as of now, I would not buy them due to several reason.

1. All my music is 16/44 flac. So I am unable to take advantage of those superior high rez processing.   
2. I would not buy into higher rez format anytime soon. Vinyl is my highest rez.
3. My main focus, my goal now is improve my digital front end to make the most out of those cp ripped flac files.

I have audition several dac lately. Most of then sound wonderful with high rez but fair out average with red book format.( Surprisingly,  Some of the most respectful modern dac  could not keep up with older dac from the golden age on this format). I think I found what I am looking for at the price that I can live with. It is a used Conrad Johnson HD3. To my ears, this is one of the best usb dac that do red book format justice. Isn't it crazy to spend money on a usb dac which only has one usb input and max out at 24/96 now. In my case, i said it worth it. It is what I am looking for - Warm seductive midrange, textures, and fuller body and authority control in lower region.

ltr317

« Reply #54 on: 20 May 2014, 03:00 am »
Thanks, really appreciated. So what dac in your mind that would fit my system well?
Austin

I think a non-oversampling DAC or a tube based one will probably provide what you're trying to achieve. 

Austin08

« Reply #55 on: 20 May 2014, 03:11 am »
I have a Bat 32SE. Have you thought about upgrading to the 33SE? Are you using NOS tubes?

I though about it but really not ready to make a move yet. I am sure nos tubes will push my preamp performance further but i think I would save that money for future upgrade if it ever happen. I am happy with what it does now.

Austin08

« Reply #56 on: 20 May 2014, 03:12 am »
I think a non-oversampling DAC or a tube based one will probably provide what you're trying to achieve.

You are right. Even though the CJ HD3 is not tube base but it sound like tube and I am loving it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #57 on: 20 May 2014, 03:19 am »
Thanks all for your input and comment. While certainly, the Vega and Lampi L4G4 got high praise here and everywhere, i think as of now, I would not buy them due to several reason.

1. All my music is 16/44 flac. So I am unable to take advantage of those superior high rez processing.   
2. I would not buy into higher rez format anytime soon. Vinyl is my highest rez.
3. My main focus, my goal now is improve my digital front end to make the most out of those cp ripped flac files.

I have audition several dac lately. Most of then sound wonderful with high rez but fair out average with red book format.( Surprisingly,  Some of the most respectful modern dac  could not keep up with older dac from the golden age on this format). I think I found what I am looking for at the price that I can live with. It is a used Conrad Johnson HD3. To my ears, this is one of the best usb dac that do red book format justice. Isn't it crazy to spend money on a usb dac which only has one usb input and max out at 24/96 now. In my case, i said it worth it. It is what I am looking for - Warm seductive midrange, textures, and fuller body and authority control in lower region.

I think the Vega sounds incredible with redbook, which is 90%+ what I've demoed it with.  Yeah, it does sound even better with Hi Rez and DSD, but if redbook didn't sound great, I wouldn't consider it.

Glad to hear the CJ DAC works for you. I have CJ preamp + amp, so it would be interesting to here the HD3. You don't see many reviews around, so getting your listening impressions, particularly vs your older CJ DAC, would be valuable.

Austin08

« Reply #58 on: 31 May 2014, 10:50 pm »
I think the Vega sounds incredible with redbook, which is 90%+ what I've demoed it with.  Yeah, it does sound even better with Hi Rez and DSD, but if redbook didn't sound great, I wouldn't consider it.

Glad to hear the CJ DAC works for you. I have CJ preamp + amp, so it would be interesting to here the HD3. You don't see many reviews around, so getting your listening impressions, particularly vs your older CJ DAC, would be valuable.

Jarcher,

Have been living with CJ hd3 for couple week now and all I can say is "Wow". For all those time listening with HD3, I often though I was hearing my VPI turntable. Very warm and inviting. The older CJ sound very much like hd3. They both share intimate warm sexy midrange, wide soundstage. Where the hd3 better than the old one is it portrait a bigger sound, more texture and bass to die for. Also notice it is the most quite dac that I have heard. It is way better than my old Dac. I also compared several dacs in my system for the last couple months and I always come back to hd3 for red book format. Right now, I am listening to a borrowed dac - the NS Excelsio that retail $3000, while the Northstar dac sound wonderful with nice soundstage, coherent, natural midrange but I wish I could hear a bit more heavier Salena Jones's voice in "Easter parade" or a bit more punch in bass and more grunt in The Who-Tommy "Overture" like I used to hear when running HD3. I felt more analog with hd3 than with other dacs that been through my system recently.

I only remembered to take picture of the CJ hd3 and the North Star dac in my system. Should took all the dacs pictures that have been through my system lately, Duh.  :green:

*Scotty*

« Reply #59 on: 31 May 2014, 11:51 pm »
I have to agree with Jon regarding the Auralic Vega's performance on redbook recordings. I borrowed it for a day and was amazed at what redbook recordings sounded like. For the first time the entire instrument with its complete harmonic structure intact could be heard. The same thing holds true for vocals, the whole person is present.
It is currently at the top of the list of DACs I would buy it the money became available.
Scotty