Power Conditioners?

Levi

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #60 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:41 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Levi, it's not always a matter of whether your system draws too much power or not compared to the capacity of the conditioner.  The way it was explained to me, the issue is that when you put a big transformer in the AC path, you are bound to lose some speed.  That the AVS2000 has a "50lb transformer" that adjusts to different windings on the fly certainly makes its impact on dynamics a concern.  The hope is that the benefits outweigh the negatives; if your power is consistently very low (eg. 110v or less),  ...

I see your point.  I am not sure how fast the AVS2000 is.  The AVS2000 maybe too slow for most amps :?: .  I do know for sure that I don't hear compression in my system.  It also made a significant improvement in the quality of sound and video.  :)  The AVS2000 is not for everyone :!:  :wink:

JoshK

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #61 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:48 pm »
additionally if your speakers are working your amp really hard, so that you are constantly drawing down the amp's capacitance then I think the transformers in front of your amp will do more damage.  if the load is fairly benign, or your playback volume doesn't present much of a challenge for the amp/speaker combo then I think the effects will be moot.  

All in all, Levi, if your happy and it works, don't fret over it!  Sometimes it is the things that you don't quite understand, or can't quite explain that drive us nuts.  If we understood it all we wouldn't be so neroutic I think.

Levi

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #62 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
additionally if your speakers are working your amp really hard, so that you are constantly drawing down the amp's capacitance then I think the transformers in front of your amp will do more damage.  if the load is fairly benign, or your playback volume doesn't present much of a challenge for the amp/speaker combo then I think the effects will be moot.  

All in all, Levi, if your happy and it works, don't fret over it!  Sometimes it is the things that you don't quite understand, or can't quite explain that drive us nuts.  If we understood it all we wouldn't be so neroutic I think.

:D
Cheers-Levi

Levi

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #63 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:59 pm »

:D  Glad to hear you are back from vacation.  Are you hosting Sept?
Cheers-Levi

JoshK

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #64 on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:02 pm »
I am doing my damnedest to get ready to host September but I have a lot of work to do on my system.  It still sounds worse than last year when I hosted and I had done a lot of work since then to up it a notch.  The devil is in the details!

R_burke

Cheap B** that I am
« Reply #65 on: 25 Aug 2004, 03:38 pm »
Has anyone tried/heard anything about the ADCOM ACE 315 or 615?  They are considerably less expensive than most of the conditioners discussed so far

PhilNYC

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #66 on: 25 Aug 2004, 03:45 pm »
I am doing my damnedest to get ready to host September but I have a lot of work to do on my system.  It still sounds worse than last year when I hosted and I had done a lot of work since then to up it a notch.  The devil is in the details!

Josh...for your own purposes, it might be good to host so that you can get the input/suggestions of other folks on how to improve things in your room.  When I hosted in June, my setup definitely wasn't ready, but having the Rave crew over definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things and helped me get things to where I'm now happy with the sound I'm getting...

mcrespo71

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #67 on: 25 Aug 2004, 03:56 pm »
Does anyone isolate their power conditioner on platforms, cones, etc?

Michael

ieales

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #68 on: 28 Aug 2004, 07:11 pm »
http://www.ielogical.com/audio.html#powerCon for my 2p.

As in all things audio, YMMV.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #69 on: 28 Aug 2004, 07:23 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71

Michael

My BPT 3.5 is on brass cones.

From talking with Chris (of BPT), he says it get seven better on Maple platforms and/or Stillpoints.

George

StevenACNJ

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #70 on: 28 Aug 2004, 08:52 pm »

Michael

I use a Maple amp stand from Timber Nation to support my BPT 3.5 Signature

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #71 on: 30 Aug 2004, 08:19 am »

Michael
I use Mapleshade's 2 " maple board, Isoblocks, and Surefoot cones for my BP2.5. When Chris Hoff speaks, I listen.  :D  Regards, Robin

JazzCat

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #72 on: 30 Aug 2004, 05:01 pm »
Jazzcat wonders if anyone has had the opportunity to try or A/B one of the Sound Application power conditioners vs. either the BPT 3.5 Signature or the Walker Velocitor?  The link is here: http://www.soundapplication.com/  I do not know much about these products, however I might purchase a used XE-12S http://www.soundapplication.com/html/xe-12s.html, which seems to make a not so subtle impact in my current system.  Will the BPT or the Walker provide an even greater impact?

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #73 on: 5 Sep 2004, 04:50 am »
I had my 12amp oneac moddified so that it runs in balanced mode now (+60/-60 instead of 120/0). Also a cap was added to each of the recepticles. This mod dropped the already low noise floor even lower. :)
I'm told the parts only cost about $20.

Biggie.