Power Conditioners?

Levi

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:48 am »
I use Monster AVS2000 automatic voltage stabilizer (variac) as the backbone.  It maintains a constant 120V to my Panamax 5300 [balanced double L filtration w/high current outlets.]

Try connecting your Richard Gray, Furman, BPT, EquiTech etc. to a Monster AVS2000 and the results are not subtle for audio and video.

elnero

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #21 on: 19 Aug 2004, 02:02 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Other than that I use two OneAC CP1102's which have been tweaked with cryo'd outlets, ERS paper and Dynamat Extreme...
I have an ONEAC 1105 I bought used on eBay for $26.00 + Shipping.  

I'll be honest I don't know much about them, I was tipped off by a friend who suggested one as an alternative to spending hundreds on consumer oriented power conditioning. One thing he did mention was that the minimum he would go would be an 1103, lower models than that supposedly don't have as good filtering.

Lost81

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2004, 02:34 pm »
Quote from: elnero
Other than that I use two OneAC CP1102's which have been tweaked with cryo'd outlets, ERS paper and Dynamat Extreme...

I'll be honest I don't know much about them, I was tipped off by a friend who suggested one as an alternative to spending hundreds on consumer oriented power conditioning. One thing he did mention was that the minimum he would go would be an 1103, lower models than that supposedly don't have as good filtering.

Ow, I have the CP1103.
The unit hums slightly when it is on though.

What does your friend use it for?

As it is rated at a maximum output of 3.2A, I can't see using it for anything but source components.

Do you need a ground for these components to work?
My apartment doesn't have ground in its mains wiring.

The last time I used the One AC CP1103, some of the hum crept into the speakers.

-Lost81

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:28 pm »
Quote from: Levi
I use Monster AVS2000 automatic voltage stabilizer (variac) as the backbone.  It maintains a constant 120V to my Panamax 5300 [balanced double L filtration w/high current outlets.]

Try connecting your Richard Gray, Furman, BPT, EquiTech etc. to a Monster AVS2000 and the results are not subtle for audio and video.

Levi,

Does your unit hum and click?

When I tried it in my house it hummed and clicked.  

The ExactPower EP15A provided this functionality (without the noises) and sounded better IMHO.

George

byteme

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: elnero

Filtering isn't really what I'm after from the little guys since they're both behind something else that handles that.  However, I've opened up 1110's, 1106's, 1103's and these 1102's not to mention the Powervar I've got.  Internally they are essentially the same except that the Powervar uses a torroidal (I believe) where the OneAc's are generally the boxey square guys.  I don't see how the filtering could be different.  My purpose in using these anyway isn't necessarily filtering, but more isolation digital vs. analog.

In a dead quiet room you can hear the powervar a bit, but not when anything else is on.  Even between songs it can't be heard from seating position.  I have had two OneAcs that I've had to move to computer use because they did hum.  Some of them are in better shape than others, but for <$20-30 bucks how can you argue?  Is a $3k+ BPT signature unit better?  I'm 100% sure it is.  Will it work for me?  I don't know if it would in my setup but there is no way I'd part with $3k for power conditioning.  Especially if I'm 90+% of the way there for 10% of the cost.

The difference between no conditioning or just the PS Audio UO to these tweaked units was AMAZING.

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:41 pm »
Byteme,

You can pick up a used BPT 3.5 Sig for $1500 or so (list is $2500).

I realize that is still substantially more than what you spent, but it is getting closer....

George

byteme

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:50 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Byteme,

I realize that is still substantially more than what you spent, but it is getting closer....

George
Hmmm...!  That is a lot closer, but I'm having a near stroke thinking about $1400 for a preamp!  Although a year or two ago I had a stroke about $400 for a preamp, so as things creep up the scale you never know!  Thanks for the heads up.

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2004, 04:37 pm »
Byteme,

George
Hmmm...!  That is a lot closer, but I'm having a near stroke thinking about $1400 for a preamp!  Although a year or two ago I had a stroke about $400 for a preamp, so as things creep up the scale you never know!  Thanks for the heads up.

It's all relative.  

When I started in this hobby almost 10 years ago, I couldn't believe a friend was spending $300 on a phono cartridge and $1000 on an amp.  Now I don't even blink on spending $300 on a set of cones (thankfully I m lucky enough to be able to afford these very high priced toys).

You really want to have a stroke?  How about $1700 for a 2M ic?   :lol:

I am having some mental battles on that one.

George

MaxCast

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2004, 04:41 pm »
Byteme,

George

Ha!  Ain't that the truth.  I look at stuff on Agon that I never would have thought about before with this disease.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:35 pm »
:lol: BPT STARTED MY DISEASE! I was oerfectly happy with midfi receivers and Bose speakers til I got my BP2.5 which was mainly for a better picture on my Sony WEGA (I use to be a sports nut). But the drastic change to music that was a direct result from lowering the ground noise proved so addicting that sports are but a mire memory. Oh yeah, I'm STILL up to $14000 in credit card debt. :roll: THAT's how dramatic a BPT unit was to my system and my LIFE! Take heed Byteme. Then again, it's too late for you anyways.    :rotflmao:   Regards, Robin

Levi

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2004, 07:49 pm »
Quote from: Levi

Levi,

Does your unit hum and click?

When I tried it in my house it hummed and clicked.  

The ExactPower EP15A provided this functionality (without the noises) and sounded better IMHO.

George

No hum or click on my AVS2000.  It is not supposed to make noise. :!:   It did have that acrid smell when it was new :o .  It made a HUGE difference in my system
Cheers-Levi :D

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #31 on: 19 Aug 2004, 07:53 pm »
Levi,

I found that electricity in the city fluctuates a lot more than it does out at my place.  As such, I didn't think the extra cost of having something that feeds my BPT a steady flow of juice was necessary.

Maybe I will evaluate again down the road.

BTW, the BPT 3.5 Sig made a big improvement in my system (which is why I kept it over the EP15A).

George

R_burke

voltage regulation
« Reply #32 on: 19 Aug 2004, 07:59 pm »
I asked BPT and Furman for recommendations for something that controlled fluctuating voltages and conditioned/cleaned it up.  BPT had nothing and Furman recommended their RA-1220

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and voltage fluctuation is a big problem especially in the winter when we loose power completely 3-4 times

AphileEarlyAdopter

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #33 on: 19 Aug 2004, 08:06 pm »
Zybar,
I think you need to use a balanced power conditioner with the EP15A. That is why Exactpower makes both. The Balanced power transformer reduces the output impedence of the 15A, which supplies now a clean 60Hz 120V sine wave. Ofcourse, all this requires a bigger budget.
Maybe you should get a cheaper IC and get the 15A to put in behind the BPT.
I have ordered a Blue Circle Music Ring 1200W balanced power conditioner to use with my Panny XR50. I will post some feedback when I have some time with it.

Lost81

Re: voltage regulation
« Reply #34 on: 19 Aug 2004, 08:08 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and voltage fluctuation is a big problem especially in the winter when we loose power completely 3-4 times

Wow, I nearly moved to Boulder Creek some years back (fell in love with the woods there). But then I thought about the commute to South Bay and figured that the novelty of driving up and down the mountain roads would quickly wear out  :mrgreen:

Breezy in Santa Clara, CA,
-Lost81

Levi

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #35 on: 19 Aug 2004, 08:35 pm »
Levi,

I found that electricity in the city fluctuates a lot more than it does out at my place.  As such, I didn't think the extra cost of having something that feeds my BPT a steady flow of juice was necessary.

BTW, the BPT 3.5 Sig made a big improvement in my system (which is why I kept it over the EP15A).

George

That was I was thinking.  The voltage fluctuates  between -5.30 volts to +3.5volts day/night and the AVS2000 compensates for that.

The lowest I see AVS2000 was $600 at Augon...

cheers-Levi

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #36 on: 19 Aug 2004, 08:39 pm »
Quote from: AphileEarlyAdopter
Zybar,
I think you need to use a balanced power conditioner with the EP15A. That is why Exactpower makes both. The Balanced power transformer reduces the output impedence of the 15A, which supplies now a clean 60Hz 120V sine wave. Ofcourse, all this requires a bigger budget.
Maybe you should get a cheaper IC and get the 15A to put in behind the BPT.
I have ordered a Blue Circle Music Ring 1200W balanced power conditioner to use with my Panny XR50. I will post some feedback when I have some time with it.

If funds permitted I would try the EP15A feeding my BPT 3.5 Sig.  

I don't actually own an IC that costs $1700, it was just something I was discussing earlier.  

George

Jon L

Re: voltage regulation
« Reply #37 on: 19 Aug 2004, 10:43 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
I asked BPT and Furman for recommendations for something that controlled fluctuating voltages and conditioned/cleaned it up.  BPT had nothing and Furman recommended their RA-1220

If power actually goes out, even for a minute, none of these voltage stabilizers mentioned can help you.

Only a battery-backed device can help, and I have one, but mine also can only last about 30 minutes if my system is on.  Also, unfortunately most battery-backed UPS type devices have horrible AC regeneration circuits.  I use a modded XS technology Strata battery-buffered pure sine-wave regenerator, and it does sound great.  Unfortunately, the company is defunct now, but there are a couple of other companies making similar devices (mucho $, however).

And I also have a ferro-resonant device that regulates AC voltage, but the usual home situation of +/- 5 volts really doesn't make a whole lot of difference in sound.  My XS tech unit has AC monitor, and it usually runs around 117-122 V.  

When I had my BPT-1 Signature, I did try hooking it up to a voltage stabilizer, which did not improve the sound.  I personally think that benefits of voltage stabilizing in "usual" environments is a bit hyped.

IMO, it's much more important to isolate RF/EMI to and from equipment, especially digital, feed component "perfect" sine wave, and to decrease impedance in the power delivery chain.

PhilNYC

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #38 on: 19 Aug 2004, 11:01 pm »

George

George,

I don't have the Monster unit, but my Audience adeptResponse power conditioner has a voltage meter on it.  As you know, I live in a relatively small suburb...late at night when most of the neighborhood has gone to sleep, I usually see voltage readings of 121-123 volts.  On the hot afternoons this summer, it dropped as low as 112 volts.

I've got to say that this AVS2000 has my interest peeked... :o

R_burke

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #39 on: 19 Aug 2004, 11:33 pm »
Jon L,

Thanks, I understoood about needing a UPS when the power goes out, but like you said most don't last very long and not sure how much damage is done when the power goes out.  Isn't that kinda like shutting things off?

Luckily for me most instances of power outages haven't been at my peak listening times (7pm to 11pm) Don't know how it works in other areas, but in mine when the power company is restoring power it takes quite a while before the power is anywhere close to 120V and the power usually comes back on during the evening after the power company has worked on it for the day - This is at my peak listening time.