World Championship Boxing

jimdgoulding

Re: World Championship Boxing
« Reply #160 on: 14 Apr 2013, 04:00 am »
That Cubano mosquito is exactly the kind of fighter I would hate to face were I a professional.  The lad is coordinated from his head to his toes as much as any fighter I've watched and quick as a flash of lightning.  Donaire just can't seem to do anything against the fellow. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #161 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:03 pm »
Dang sports fan . . were you guys under the weather this weekend?  Thanks, Django, for the heads up on the earlier contest.  And, if you saw Saturday night's fight, was that venue a joke or what.  No 360 degree seating there.

fredgarvin

« Reply #162 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:18 pm »
Olympic gold medalist Guillermo ‘El Chacal’ Rigondeaux is the greatest amateur boxer in boxing history.  He looked incredible in making Donaire look bad. Urijah Faber looked great again in submitting Scott Jorgenson.

mjosef

« Reply #163 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:56 pm »
Olympic gold medalist Guillermo ‘El Chacal’ Rigondeaux is the greatest amateur boxer in boxing history.  He looked incredible in making Donaire look bad.

Agreed.
Nonito Donaire got a sweet boxing lesson, Rigondeaux was fast on his feet and with his fists. One of the judges called the fight 114-113, dunno where he was sitting but it was nowhere that close.

Chazro

« Reply #164 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:01 pm »
Manoman!  Was Rigondeaux on fire last night or what!?  Even though Donaire didn't prepare properly, I doubt he could've beat 'Rigo' even if he was in optimum shape.  At one point, 'Rigo's intensity brought Tommy Hearns in his prime to mind.  Donaire's knockdown of Rigo was a classic example of a 'flash knockdown', of course the power of the punch knocked him down but it was caused more by improper balance than anything.  I don't think Donaire truly hurt Rigo at all during that fight.  Whereas Donaire looked like he'd been beat with a baseball bat!  And yeah, as much as I love Radio City Music Hall, it's a LOUSY place for a fight!  The judge that had it 114-113 should never be allowed to judge another fight, as he was obviously on the 'take'!

Chazro

« Reply #165 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:20 pm »
I've been watching Boxing matches since I was a kid watching Friday Night Fights in B&W, through the glory days of Ali on Wide World of Sports, and the much-less glorious pay-per-view time that's dominated Boxing, 'til now.  Boxing's taken a real hit with the emergence of cagefighting, the lack of 'starpower', AND pay-per-view (as most PPV matches simply aren't worth the money).  It's occured to me that currently, we may be experiencing a renaissance of sorts in Boxing.  Some truly spectacular bouts have been happening and although they're happening on cable, it's as close to the Wide World of Sports as we're ever going to get in this day and age.  Makes me a happy man!

jackman

« Reply #166 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:26 pm »
That was a very impressive display of boxing by the Cuban fighter.  Credit to Nonito for giving this young man an opportunity.  Unlike guys like Floyd or even Roy back in the day, Nonito never dodged anyone.  I look forward to the rematch.

Rigondeaux is going to have a hard time finding guys to fight.  He is such a slick fighter and is a southpaw, and lots of guys hate fighting leftys.  He has a questinable chin, from what i hear but he never got hit hard enough to test it yesterday.   Nonito, otoh, looked pretty banged up by the end of the fight. Don't count Donaire out if they meet again. He's a smart and extremely dangerous fighter.  He supposedly has a shoulder that requires surgery but he showed class after the fight and gave credit to his opponent.

I can't believe some people booed after the fight.  I don't know of anyone in modern day boxing who can match Rigondeaux's skills in the ring.  Amazing footwork, hand speed and defense...and he's a killer counter puncher.  Very impressive dude.

fredgarvin

« Reply #167 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:55 pm »
Well, he's a double organization World Champ now, so opponents will be mandatory, and anyone wanting the title have to go through him.

dB Cooper

« Reply #168 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:07 am »
First Pacman, now Donaire, not the best of times for Filipino boxing.

vortrex

« Reply #169 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:13 am »
I can't believe some people booed after the fight.  I don't know of anyone in modern day boxing who can match Rigondeaux's skills in the ring.  Amazing footwork, hand speed and defense...and he's a killer counter puncher.  Very impressive dude.

when you turn your back multiple times and don't engage you are going to get boos.

jackman

« Reply #170 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:02 pm »
He engaged enough to bust up Nonito pretty well during the fight.   He's not a guy who stands in one place and trades with an opponent.  I did not recall him turning his head but if he does it in the rematch, look for Nonito to unload in the back of his head.  I don't advocate dirty fighting but if a guy turns his head to avoid a punch, that's where he needs to get hit. 

Donaire is still young and at the top of his game, even though he didn't look great in this fight.  He's a tough and dangerous fighter.  The Cuban made it difficult for Nonito to throw his best punch, left hook, but I suspect he will find a way to land it next time.  Also, Rigondeaux has a suspect chin and I would not be surprised to see him knocked out next time.   This could be a fun rematch and I would not be surprised to see either guy win.

Don't count the Phillipino guy out.   He's a smart fighter with a lot of pride and is very dangerous.  We have not seen the last from Nonito! 

vortrex

« Reply #171 on: 15 Apr 2013, 02:49 pm »
He engaged enough to bust up Nonito pretty well during the fight.   He's not a guy who stands in one place and trades with an opponent.  I did not recall him turning his head

several times he turned his back to nonito and walked away.  he also ran quite a bit.  there's a big difference between doing that and not trading.  every time he turned his back the crowd started booing.  he doesn't have the most fan friendly style, as good as he is.  he even said in his pre-fight interviews that he doesn't care what the fans think.  I don't see him being the next PBF.

jackman

« Reply #172 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:21 pm »
Agreed, he will never be PBF.  Floyd is a colorful guy with a fan friendly style.  This guy is a very good (exceptional) technical boxer but the people tend to go for big punchers and flashy fighters.  Nonito Donaire is a pretty fan friendly fighter and he has great power for a lighter weight fighter.  That said, I thought the judges were very charitable to Nonito, even though he lost the fight. 

Mark my words, if this guy turns his back again during an exchange, he will get hit on the back of the head.  That's one of the worst places you can get hit if you want to stay upright.  Hopefully they will meet again within the next year.  Either way, this young Cuban fighter is talented. 

Cheers

Jack

fredgarvin

« Reply #173 on: 15 Apr 2013, 05:41 pm »
Agreed, he will never be PBF.  Floyd is a colorful guy with a fan friendly style.  This guy is a very good (exceptional) technical boxer but the people tend to go for big punchers and flashy fighters.  Nonito Donaire is a pretty fan friendly fighter and he has great power for a lighter weight fighter.  That said, I thought the judges were very charitable to Nonito, even though he lost the fight. 

Mark my words, if this guy turns his back again during an exchange, he will get hit on the back of the head.  That's one of the worst places you can get hit if you want to stay upright.  Hopefully they will meet again within the next year.  Either way, this young Cuban fighter is talented. 

Cheers

Jack

He's already impressed me more than Duck em Floyd.

jackman

« Reply #174 on: 16 Apr 2013, 04:46 pm »
He's already impressed me more than Duck em Floyd.

I agree!  This kid will fight anyone (same with Donaire) and I expect true boxing fans will enjoy his style.  Floyd appeals to the casual fan more than the young Cuban.  Floyd has (had?) great skills but it's impossible for me to rank him with any of the all time greats because he cherry-picks his opponents.  I'd pay money to see him get knocked out cold but the odds are against it. 

It's good to see some new names in boxing and I look forward to seeing many of the new crop (some aren't young but new to the American audience) in action.  I'm also a fan of GGG and look forward to his next fight.   I hope Sergio Martinez gives GGG a shot instead of fighting guys like Martin Murry. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #175 on: 10 May 2013, 01:38 am »
Recent boxing comments:
1- Judah gave a good account of himself and kept his composure despite taking the 'L'.
2- Negotiations have supposedly started for a Floyd-Canelo fight. Believe this is a mistake for Team Alvarez. It's too soon; he'll get schooled.
3) Floyd has an unusual talent: Being dominant and boring at the same time (there were boos on several occasions from the crowd.)

Thoughts?