Hypex NCore question and answers

earflappin

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #140 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:37 pm »
Yeah, should have put a smiley face after the Clayton question.  It was a joke, referring to your comment on the CA review, and then fast-forwarding to this wonderful generous gesture (tour) by an ex-Clayton owner.  :)  (Guess I'm having a bad "internet inflection" day).

Ahh....I just got back from the west coast on a red eye so that one went right by me...   :lol:

kevinh

« Reply #141 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:05 pm »
Kevin, I would agree with you.  I would not rate the NC 400 as a prototype.  This is a fully engineered amplifier module with companion power supply.  The build quality is excellent.  As a Geddes Abbey speaker owner I would also agree with your comparison of the NC 400 to the Abbey on a price/performance basis.  All I can say is that the NC 400's are well worth an audition if you seek the finest in audio amplification.

One of the things I see is the care with which the PC board layout was done, this if far more important with a Class D amp that a linear amp and is a factor in the quality of the amp. Also Bruno in talking with the DIY community went to a discrete input circuit rather than an opamp based front end.

arthurs

« Reply #142 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:52 pm »
Where does one buy NCores?  Do they have to be DIY?

JDUBS

« Reply #143 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:00 pm »

Really?  Have you read any of this and / or the related threads on Audiocircle or available via a Google search? 

-Jim

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #144 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:04 pm »
http://www.hypex.nl/

Jim, I think Art asked a perfectly reasonable question... there are so many pages, but not really a summary. If you go to the start of the thread, it doesn't really explain this tour, where to buy, or the fact that there is going to be completed units.

kevinh

« Reply #145 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:33 pm »

The NC 400 is a diy kit from hypex, there is an OEM module the NC 1200 that will be built into products from other vendors. I believe this new amp from Theta is Ncore 1200 based:

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/News/Hi-Fi/theta-goes-class-d-at-ces.html

arthurs

« Reply #146 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:36 pm »
Really?  Have you read any of this and / or the related threads on Audiocircle or available via a Google search? 

-Jim

I haven't Jim, hence the question.  But thanks for your kind and helpful response.

arthurs

« Reply #147 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:37 pm »
Thanks Trader, thanks Kevin. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #148 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:52 pm »

The NC 400 is a diy kit from hypex, there is an OEM module the NC 1200 that will be built into products from other vendors. I believe this new amp from Theta is Ncore 1200 based:

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/News/Hi-Fi/theta-goes-class-d-at-ces.html

Theta told me last week that there was a delay on their amps due to working out their new pre-amp design.

OzarkTom

« Reply #149 on: 26 Apr 2012, 10:41 pm »
Frankly I think buying an oem version is a complete waste of money. you get more power anyway by bridging two nc400's, if you happen to need more than 400 watts.

All you're paying for is a fancy case, imo. Going from $1500 for nc400 mono's, or $3000 for bridged (or for those with active crossovers) for two sets, to $12,000 for the Theta's is just dumb, and missing the whole point.

I am sure Hypex's own Mola-Mola brand will not be that high priced. I and many others would just love to see a 15-25 watt version that runs off of batteries. With many new speakers in the 95-102 db/one watt sensitivity, who in the heck needs 200 watts?

And if you go with the Mola-Mola pre-amp and Dac, it would be nice to match the components.

Rclark

« Reply #150 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:00 pm »
He's already said there's no point in making a low power version.

OzarkTom

« Reply #151 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm »

I know he said that, but it still would be nice. 99db speakers and 15 watts will blow you out of any room with ease.

maxwalrath

« Reply #152 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm »

Kinda agree...sounds like the amp excels at low volumes and adds basically zero noise. Sounds like a good match for regular and high-efficiency speakers.

medium jim

« Reply #153 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm »
Not to be a skeptic, but so much of what I'm reading about them is what Bruno says they sound like to make me think a lot of confirmation bias is in effect.

What is "Confirmation Bias"?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/confirmation_bias.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #154 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm »
I haven't Jim, hence the question.  But thanks for your kind and helpful response.

Extremely basic internet forum etiquette...search before you ask. If you are new to the internet, I apologize.

Based on the initial question and your follow-up response, I would say to stay FAR away from a stereo kit of any sort.

Ughh...I've already wasted too much time with this.

-Jim

sts9fan

« Reply #155 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:27 pm »
Not to be a skeptic, but so much of what I'm reading about them is what Bruno says they sound like to make me think a lot of confirmation bias is in effect.

What is "Confirmation Bias"?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/confirmation_bias.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Jim

Audiophiles are immune to that!! Duh!!
They can also remember the exact sound of 30 amps for up to 30 years.
Did you know Ncore cures cancer?

OzarkTom

« Reply #156 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:52 pm »

And if you do accept our testimony, what possible benefit could you be seeking in a lower powered model? Are you looking for lower cost? Less energy consumption?

When I read Bruno's comment that there would be no benefit in building a lower powered model, I took it to mean that there was no way to make it cheaper and no other reason to make it smaller.

There would be a great benefit to create a lower powered amp. The lower the power, the easier to run off of batteries. To be honest, I would pay $3000 for a version that ran off of batteries, if this is as good as you say. The cost is no concern to me.

Rclark

« Reply #157 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm »
Btw, one last thing on confirmation bias. I think the bias would be in "finding" oh it's class d so it must be bad.

Tom, batteries won't be n option. Besides, clearly the Bruno designed statement Ncore is matched by the Bruno designed statement smps.

i think worrying about power supply is a waste of energy.

OzarkTom

« Reply #158 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:03 am »
Btw, one last thing on confirmation bias. I think the bias would be in "finding" oh it's class d so it must be bad.

Tom, batteries won't be n option. Besides, clearly the Bruno designed statement Ncore is matched by the Bruno designed statement smps.

i think worrying about power supply is a waste of energy.

I know Bruno said that, I was the one that asked him. But he also said he was considering to build them for the auto industry, and the last time I checked, autos uses batteries.

werd

« Reply #159 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:46 am »
With a DIY like this how can you be sure every amp is goin go to sound the same ? Could there be an inconsistency in the final sound of each  since these are DIY'ers ?