Check out these monitors

Rclark

Check out these monitors
« on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:11 pm »
Anyone ever hear eD speakers?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=971

$160 per pair and look at the features built into them, plus 5 year warrantee and free shipping ala Emotiva. Check out the crossover! It looks nicer than any stock speaker I've ever seen at that price.

Actually, Emotiva is doing "audiophile grade" crossovers now too. Lots of attention to the kinds of details that would get attention, and then a low price.

Anyone hear these?

Charles Xavier

Re: Check out these monitors
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:50 pm »
What does Emotiva have to do with it ?

srb

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2011, 09:48 pm »
What does Emotiva have to do with it ?

They both begin with an "E"?

I don't know how they sound, but they're economical and have Iowa-made CNC cabinets.  What I don't understand is why build super edge diffraction into the baffle design?

Steve

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2011, 09:52 pm »
Looks like they designed it to leave the grill on all the time. 

The picture looks like the grill is flush with the edges when installed.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2011, 09:53 pm »
Um.. Free shipping and 5 year warrantee ala Emotiva. Ala, "just like".

srb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2011, 09:55 pm »
Looks like they designed it to leave the grill on all the time. 

The picture looks like the grill is flush with the edges when installed.

Yes, but the drivers are recessed behind the vertical baffle edges, hence diffraction with grill on or off.

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2011, 09:58 pm »
How about these for $60 less and free shipping. Better low end, too.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=250-707

Wayner

srb

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm »
Better low end, too.

The Elemental Designs are 70Hz -22KHz +/- 3dB.  The Pioneers are 65Hz - 20KHz with no specified deviation, so who knows?  They both have 4" midwoofers with vented cabinets, but the Pioneer does have a larger cabinet, so it's possible.

Steve

Sparky14

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm »
eD has gotten some good press for their subs I recall. Haven't heard the speakers though.

Emotiva's new line looks nice, but they have a better series coming it sounds like.

I have the Pioneer (5.25 version) speakers....they are really good for the price.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm »
5.25 Pioneer version is now discontinued......

Wayner

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
If you can wade through my subwoofer thread, you'll see I brought them up too.

You can get a 4 sub sealed swarm of A3s-300's, and that's a sealed 10 that hits -3dB at 25hz, 4 of those, 300 watts each, with their extra EQ module, and 4 custom isolation platforms for a smidge over $1500.

I'm not in the market for any new speakers but someone looking C&C I should think would want these as a top ten option.

cujobob

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm »
I think on a lower end monitor diffraction won't be nearly your greatest concern. Not ideal, but these have many limitations as-is. Hell, most high-end designs don't take diffraction as seriously as they should because it's impractical from a design perspective in many ways.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2011, 12:14 am »
Check that out, $45 speaker stands

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=428

eD is really going for it. Hard to tell how nice they are. I've got Sanus UF-27's, sand filled, and they retail around $300. Very heavy duty stands.

But those look nice, especially for $45. That's even cheaper than the flimsy little pieces of crap I used for many years on my multimedia speakers. Amazing.

eD has a lot of accessories. They also have a suite of deadening products.

(I am really chomping at the bit to find an extra $600 and start with a pair of those subs)

jagtek

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:35 am »
Don't know if someones brought these up before. But I owned a pair for
years, and they really sound very "high end" for not much more $.
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170.  You will need a sub if you want full range though.
Just my 2 cents.  :roll:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:14 am »
I still use my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's (now in my 5.1 HT system) and still love them.  Very musical, extreme imaging, all the detail/power handling you should need.  Very high content value, but the standard "skin" is crappy.  Not impressed with the HT-200 that I picked up for center channel duties (I'm not a HT guy), but the rest of their line up (more expensive) are well reviewed.  The entire line up has been updated since I bought.

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:07 pm »
Those $45 stands looks very nice, I might have to try a pair.

Have you look at the specs on this sub for $499?

http://www.goldenear.com/products/forcefield-subwoofers

Feature highlights-

Frequency response-18 Hz – 250 Hz
•1000 watt digital ForceField amplifier
•Front firing 8” long-throw High-Output Bass Driver coupled to a downward firing 9” x 11” Quadratic Planar Infrasonic Radiator
•Direct-Coupled Sub level input
•Stereo Speaker Level Inputs with High-Pass Speaker Outputs
•Wireless ready (optional wireless kit sold separately)

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:05 pm »
Check that out, $45 speaker stands

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=428

eD is really going for it. Hard to tell how nice they are. I've got Sanus UF-27's, sand filled, and they retail around $300. Very heavy duty stands.

But those look nice, especially for $45. That's even cheaper than the flimsy little pieces of crap I used for many years on my multimedia speakers. Amazing.

eD has a lot of accessories. They also have a suite of deadening products.

(I am really chomping at the bit to find an extra $600 and start with a pair of those subs)

Gee, looks familiar

http://www.racksandstands.com/Sanus-Basic-24-Wood-Speaker-Stands-BF-24-B-SY0002.html

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:24 pm »
Yeah, I thought they looks suspiciously like Sanus BF-24B MDF stands.  Decent for $45 wooden stands no matter who manufactures them, which is prolly offshore anyway.  You can get them on eBay for the same price with free shipping.  I have another Sanus model (much older) of this type doing HT surround duty, stable and well made.   

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2011, 09:48 pm »
I wish I'd known that when I was looking for my stands. I really didn't want to pay what I did, but the UF-27's are nice. three pillars sand filled with a very solid, stable platform and steel 'tip toes'. I like it.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:41 pm »
You're so much better with what you have.  Wood is nice for stands if it's heavy duty thick maple or something, not so much when it's MDF.  Mine are fine for surround duty or in a non-critical bedroom/office system, but I have nice sand filled metal columns for the main speakers in the HT.