Solid State Buffer

Early B.

Solid State Buffer
« on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:05 pm »
I've been reading, with great fascination, the threads about the Dodd buffers and I had been seriously considering purchasing the inline Dodd Buffer to mate with my preamp (I'm in the que for a Warpspeed Octocoupler; other gear is a heavily modded Bada HD-22 CDP, and an Audio GD SA-300SE amp). My only hesitation is the tube. I've had a bunch of tube gear in the past and I'm no longer interested in tube rolling or spending a ton of money on the 6H30P-DR "supertube" which is touted as the best sounding tube for the Dodd. I'm searching for a solid state inline buffer (no volume control). The only one I've come across so far is the Burson Audio AB-160. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

toxteth ogrady

Re: Solid State Buffer
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:27 pm »
If you're willing to DIY the Nelson Pass B1 is an obvious choice. Simple build and great sound. If you want to kick it up a notch but slightly more complicated to build look at the dcb1 on diyaudio.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:12 pm »
If you're willing to DIY the Nelson Pass B1 is an obvious choice. Simple build and great sound. If you want to kick it up a notch but slightly more complicated to build look at the dcb1 on diyaudio.

I don't have DIY skills, so I would need to commission someone else to build and "hot rod" the dcb1 for me, if it can be built as a buffer only (no volume control).

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:19 pm »
I recommend you contact Wushuliu with your questions.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:41 pm »
I don't have DIY skills, so I would need to commission someone else to build and "hot rod" the dcb1 for me, if it can be built as a buffer only (no volume control).

If going the commissioned DIY route, wouldn't it make more sense to build the Warpspeed LDR volume control into the buffer rather than using an external unit with 2 extra sets of interconnects?

Steve

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2011, 08:46 pm »

If going the commissioned DIY route, wouldn't it make more sense to build the Warpspeed LDR volume control into the buffer rather than using an external unit with 2 extra sets of interconnects?

Steve

Given the trickiness involved with warp/light speed builds (ldr matching, etc) he may be better off just getting separates, not to mention resale value if the day comes he no longer needs the warpspeed. I would offer to help but he is looking for a finished product and enclosures are my weak spot.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2011, 05:04 pm »
The only one I've come across so far is the Burson Audio AB-160. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

I have been using Burson products for some time, and they are reliable. I think this one is a safe bet for your system.