Newbie question

Firejedi

Newbie question
« on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:54 pm »
Hey all,

I've been running around in Circles for days now.  I am getting an Odyssey amp in the near future and most likely a Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC.  My budget is about gone.

Here are my questions:

1. In all truthfulness, how important is it to plug your stuff into something other than the wall?

2.  What can a guy with a limited budget (<$500) do about the power problem?

This doesn't need to be a debate.  Just offer your opinions and budget friendly solutions.

Thanks.

Folsom

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2016, 06:02 pm »
You might want to take a look at the mini-buss. He has a 30 day money back guarantee.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2016, 06:19 pm »
+1 on the PI Audio mini-BUSS or any of Dave's products.

Many folks who have hung out on AC know about and own one or more of these BUSSes (myself included). The BUSSes are line noise (EMI/RFI) conditioners that do exactly what they are claimed to do at a much lower cost than the similar gear you might find in an audio store (think Furman).

There are other choices, Dave at PI Audio is my first choice.

Michael

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2016, 07:02 pm »
Maty I'm not sure where he said, "where's a DIY solution"

maty

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2016, 07:10 pm »
You know I have "tons" of RFI/EMI interferences and DC (up to 3 Vdc!!! ).

After fix It I focused on the KEF Q100 speakers and now I enjoy an incredible sound, especially considering the little money spent.

If he read the thread can borrow ideas / solutions.

The first tip: to buy a good multimeter.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2016, 09:10 pm »
What makes you think that you need power conditioning?

In my experience power aberrations (the correct term for power "issues") are very localized.  Is your home newer?  Are the appliances older?  Have you spoken with Klaus/Jolida to see if they recommend conditioning (many manufacturers don't as it or power cords act as filters)?  Is your power grid in good shape?  Do you share older/heavier industry with your substation?

In my previous 50 year old house with a fuse box and wiring that was scary, a PS Audio power conditioner barely made a difference. 

Let your new pieces break in and if you feel the need do some research and then try borrowing a conditioner.

Firejedi

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2016, 09:28 pm »
Thanks for your input JLM.  Your advice has been great across all my posts thus far.  My home is about 8 years old.  The only time we really have issues is during bad weather which is fairly common here in NC.  We get brown outs and some power outages.  Klaus didn't seem to care about power.  He is going to set the amp up for my wall based on the average voltage.

Trust me, if I don't have to spend the money, I'll be happy.  Maybe I should invest in a good power strip to protect from the brown outs.

I ordered a Jolida Dac today also.  So the funds are running low.   :)

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2016, 10:37 pm »
The only time we really have issues is during bad weather which is fairly common here in NC.  We get brown outs and some power outages.  Klaus didn't seem to care about power.  He is going to set the amp up for my wall based on the average voltage.

Trust me, if I don't have to spend the money, I'll be happy.  Maybe I should invest in a good power strip to protect from the brown outs.

Yeah, you'll definitely need surge protection in order to protect your equipment. The PI Audio MiniBuss is awesome, doesn't have surge protection. A modded SurgeX from ZenWave Audio would be a great alternative.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2016, 10:43 pm »
SurgeX price is a lot higher. The quality of those sockets in it however are very good, and the surge protection is one of the few I've come to accept as viable for audio.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm »
SurgeX price is a lot higher. The quality of those sockets in it however are very good, and the surge protection is one of the few I've come to accept as viable for audio.

Yep. It's high end audio -- everything is a lot higher. But the OP could purchase a used SurgeX SX1120 on ebay for less than $200, then get it modded later on if he chooses to do so.   

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:10 pm »
Yep. It's high end audio -- everything is a lot higher. But the OP could purchase a used SurgeX SX1120 on ebay for less than $200, then get it modded later on if he chooses to do so.

Good idea.

Firejedi

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2016, 12:13 am »
Yeah, you'll definitely need surge protection in order to protect your equipment. The PI Audio MiniBuss is awesome, doesn't have surge protection. A modded SurgeX from ZenWave Audio would be a great alternative.

What do you mean by modified?

I also found the SurgeX SA-966 Stand Alone Surge Eliminator on Amazon for $228

srb

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2016, 12:18 am »