Show Us Your Core-NCore!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2012, 03:30 pm »
Hi folks,  just completed a couple of NC400 mono amps and thought I would share...

Quite a difference in amp technology!   Summer amps (19 watts vs 390 watts)

Take care!

So how does the N-Coe compare in sonics to your Summr Amp ??

charles

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2012, 04:02 pm »
Wondering if an alternative exists through pin 1 on connector J1 (Aux and Control) on the power supply?  It's function is listed as "SMPS Standby," which puts the supply into standby when a DC voltage is applied. 

Yes, but you'd need to build and power a small trigger circuit inside the NCore. That circuit would then drive the nAMPON line low to turn the amp on.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2012, 05:41 pm »
No, normally the nAMPON would be tied to ground to enable the amp. "n" stands for negative or low signal, meaning when that line is brought low (grounded) the amp is on. Take the nAMPON wire (black) from the 4 pin input harness, tie it to one side of SPST switch with the other side of the switch to ground and you're golden.

Tom, you de man! 

Suppose Ncore has no mute function.   

There is no risk of Ncore damage and no risk of speaker damage if the Ncore user:

1. Unplugs the AC mains (IEC or Neutrik PowerCon) behind Ncore
2. Immediately thereafter unplugs Ncore XLR audio input ("Immediately" = time elapsed to release AC mains with one hand then grasp/unplug the XLR with the same hand)

Above T/F?

Regarding user loosing the audio input ground (unplugging the audio input) while an Ampzilla amp is on, thus activating Ampzilla's safety protection circuit rather than turning the amp off first, Ampzilla designer James Bongiorno said thoughtfully, "Why tempt fate?"

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2012, 11:35 pm »
Hi folks,  just completed a couple of NC400 mono amps and thought I would share...

Regnad (Kcin?  :)  ),

Do those nice enclosures allow enough vertical room to stack two modules and a ps (for bridged mono)?

*Scotty*

« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2012, 12:56 am »
I was reading my name on the glass of my office door.
Scotty

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2012, 01:50 am »
Regnad (Kcin?  :)  ),

Do those nice enclosures allow enough vertical room to stack two modules and a ps (for bridged mono)?
Yes, Third Eye as it were ;-)

I would not stack them. Use a planar layout wherever possible with no wires above or below.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2012, 01:55 am »
Tom (everyone knew him as Nancy)
Do you mean to say to not even stack, as Regnad did, the ps and the module?  If no, then why not another module?  I wouldn't be doing this; I'd pay someone  hint/hint   :)

TomS

« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2012, 01:57 am »
Tom (everyone knew him as Nancy)
Do you mean to say to not even stack, as Regnad did, the ps and the module?  If no, then why not another module?  I wouldn't be doing this; I'd pay someone  hint/hint   :)
I would not stack either one, just my preference to avoid any crosstalk problems. The output inductor is probably the most critical so putting 2 big inductors close to each other in the same plane is a no no. Think about how it's done in XO's. Same reasoning here.

Shaman

« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2012, 07:17 am »
There is no valid technical reason not to stack them - at least in the case (pun intended!) of NCore.
Hypex people seem very confident with their product and say even a minimal distance between amps and PS is acceptable.
Practice seems to indicate they are right (e.g. look up StigErik's NCore layout and his loudspeaker efficiency over @ diyaudio).

Regnad's enclosure was part of a group buy we organised - not because I'm a good person ( :green:) but because I needed this style in specific dimensions and SiliconRay wanted a minimum of 15-20 enclosures to make a custom batch. We ended up buying 30 enclosures in total and I must say the pics don't do them justice. They're all sold out but if you get demand for ~15 enclosures I'm sure they would make another batch.
You'll find more about the enclosure and possible layouts we considered here.
My plan is to start with a monoblock setup but the final setup will feature 3xNC400 + 2xSMPSs per enclosure (powering active loudspeakers).

PeteG

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2012, 11:16 am »
Got my shipping info today, hopefully I can put them together next week.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2012, 04:05 am »
Got my shipping info today, hopefully I can put them together next week.

Nice...let's see how they will do on your SP Tech's Pete.....I've only hear the amps with different speakers...in Occam's system.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2012, 04:54 am »
Nice...let's see how they will do on your SP Tech's Pete.....I've only hear the amps with different speakers...in Occam's system.

Roscoeii is a couple of weeks away on the tour, so we'll get a report with the Minis. Still, the Continuum 2.5s should be a nice pairing. PeteG are you still running the W-5s?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2012, 05:01 am »
Roscoeii is a couple of weeks away on the tour, so we'll get a report with the Minis. Still, the Continuum 2.5s should be a nice pairing. PeteG are you still running the W-5s?

Mini's are easy....the other larger speakers "soak up" power.... :wink:

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2012, 05:20 am »
 Regnad I want those chassis instead!  :thumb: Those are hot.

PeteG

« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2012, 11:18 am »
Only using one W-5 now it has enough power for my room size so the Ncore should be fine, with no amp coloration I might have to play around with cables and tube/Op-amp combo in my dac. I will also try the Ncore's on a pair of VMPS RM-30 too.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2012, 03:19 am »
I decided that since the amp boards were so small, I'd assemble an amp about as small as I could manage. 

Here's the layout (which I went round and round with):

Inside and outside of back panels:

And on the rack; I'll take a proper beauty shot at some point.

Thanks to TomS for answering my questions.

Bob

roscoeiii

« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2012, 03:25 am »
Looks great. Like those Cardas binding posts. Good call on those.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2012, 04:21 am »
Wow!  Two x 560W @ 2 Ohms of Ncore resolution in one hand...impressive.

Are you sure you'd not be happier with a pair of tube mono blocks, 200 lbs ea, requiring a couple thousand dollars worth of tubes every so often?     

TomS

« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2012, 12:46 pm »
Great work Bob  :thumb:

Chris Adams

« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2012, 01:09 pm »
Bob, that looks very nice. Great job stuffing the chassis. :thumb:
Because of the close proximity of the wire harnesses, do you notice any hum or noise?