Introduction to AC/offer to sell assembled X-LS Encore cabinets.

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
Hey y'all.

My name is Killian Smith and the 'GR' bug has bit me.
I've built out a set of Encore's with a buddy of mine. We made them out of solid 3/4 thick figured sapele. We learned a lot along the way...mostly that it was a bad idea! While they do look quite nice, we had to make too many compromises to the cabinet design, and the end result was quite a resonant box.

In what seems typical fashion around these parts, we were excited to build more cabinets. To up the performance level of the speakers, but also just for the fun of it.

We got swept up and made multiple pairs out of MDF.
So I have a handful of 'unfinished' (as pictured) cabinets to sell if anyone wants them.
Please send me an email to [dentonwoodworkers@gmail.com] if you are interested. Probably asking $160 a pair as is, but I am
willing to talk price if you'd like them painted or veneered. 

Excited to be posting. So many exciting projects to get to.

Endo2112

• Particularist
I'm confused???

You bought a cabinet but chose to build your own instead?? and incorrectly as well?? look at the space between the tweeter & driver (which is crucial)?? then proclaim it has a resonance issue, do you have any proper measuring equipment to support that claim, or data to confirm it?? But it was so exciting that you wanted to build and sell them based on a copied design, sorry, i'm still confused??

Don

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
I'm confused???

You bought a cabinet but chose to build your own instead?? and incorrectly as well?? look at the space between the tweeter & driver (which is crucial)?? then proclaim it has a resonance issue, do you have any proper measuring equipment to support that claim, or data to confirm it?? But it was so exciting that you wanted to build and sell them based on a copied design, sorry, i'm still confused??

Don

Sorry if I was not clear. Made both cabinets pictured. The cab that is not MDF we made out of quite expensive solid wood. They had all kinds of problems. Including the tweeter placement like you said. It ended up being mostly an experiment because they didn't meet specifications. But with the expensive wood...you can't just go back and fix them.

So we made more out of MDF. A bunch more. That are built to the prescribed plans. I now have a handful of pairs if anyone is interested in buying them.

The resonant issue was just knocking on them and them ringing like you hit the back of an acoustic guitar.  :lol:  And after playing them...the smearing is quite obvious.

(they still out perform the HMP 100's they are temporarily sitting on...by a mile...)

jcsperson

I thought the OP was perfectly clear.

Skilly

Too Funny :popcorn:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Killian, I'm curious. Have you built a pair of your MDF cabinets out to a completed speaker? In your photos I can see braces that would obstruct the area where the crossover is typically mounted.

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
Killian, I'm curious. Have you built a pair of your MDF cabinets out to a completed speaker? In your photos I can see braces that would obstruct the area where the crossover is typically mounted.

Yes sir. As soon as I set those braces in I slapped my forehead. Other ones we built out didn’t have those bottom braces. This box was just handy for the photo.

I suppose if you wanted to get creative...you could split the cross over somehow and still fit it with the braces as such. The crossover itself sort of braces the bottom, so the bottom braces seem redundant and having to get weird with the crossover doesn’t seem worth it. Do you agree Peter?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
If one assumes that bracing is more about panel damping and less about structural integrity, NoRez minus the foam layer is a good bet on the bottom. I doubt the crossover board itself adds significant bracing, at least in typical implementation.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I'm kinda considering getting a pair. Much as I really want the NX-Studios, and I definitely still do, the X-LS would be a great way to learn the basics of building the crossovers & speakers in general.
I'd just need a router to round-over the corners before sanding & painting them.

Then I'd only need to order a kit and some no-rez.

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
If one assumes that bracing is more about panel damping and less about structural integrity, NoRez minus the foam layer is a good bet on the bottom. I doubt the crossover board itself adds significant bracing, at least in typical implementation.

I see. I saw you using that ‘no foam’ layer in your recent video. Genius idea.

You’re the Encore whisperer...thanks for the intel.

All and all...I’ll just not put brackets on the bottom.

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
I'm kinda considering getting a pair. Much as I really want the NX-Studios, and I definitely still do, the X-LS would be a great way to learn the basics of building the crossovers & speakers in general.
I'd just need a router to round-over the corners before sanding & painting them.

Then I'd only need to order a kit and some no-rez.

Send me an email. I’ll send you a pair. I’ll round the front baffle for you if you’d like.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Email sent!  :thumb:

Keithh

If you are planning on painting you are going to have to deal with
the seams on the front. It takes quite a bit of experience painting  to keep
the seams from showing through. That is why the front baffle should be glued
to the front of the box instead of being inset. I also do not see the backside of the woofer
hole having the required radius.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Nothing a skim coat of filler & a quick sanding cant fix, tbh.

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
If you are planning on painting you are going to have to deal with
the seams on the front. It takes quite a bit of experience painting  to keep
the seams from showing through. That is why the front baffle should be glued
to the front of the box instead of being inset. I also do not see the backside of the woofer
hole having the required radius.

Back side of the woofer hole is radiused (not sure that’s a word) the 3/8 that is mentioned on the plans. Impossible to see in the photo.

The rabbets on the front may pose an issue for just straight painting. Haven’t tried.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I’ve used Bullseye primer, body filler, and epoxy to seal the seams. The epoxy (I use West Systems) works the best for me. Other methods I’ve heard of but haven’t tried Are thinned glue and vinyl sealer. I’m told the vinyl sealer stinks to high heaven.

uncola

Wow it's crazy that we now have two sources of xls flat packs.  You and peter

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
Wow it's crazy that we now have two sources of xls flat packs.  You and peter

Not selling flat packs. I have some that are fully assembled. If you want a pair, hit me up.

Dentonwoodworkers@gmail.com

Peters got the beautiful flat packs on deck. I don’t have a CNC and just made a bunch of cabs by hand.