GR Research center channel options

jacobm3

GR Research center channel options
« on: 8 Apr 2020, 05:55 am »
Apologies in advance for the novel...

Does anyone have listening impressions of the X-Voce vs the X-CS Classic?

I have the Klipsch RP-600M for LR and the cheaper Klipsch R-52C center channel, driven from a low end Yamaha AV receiver. I just built a pair of C-Notes from Parts Express as my first cheap build, so I could learn and make my first mistakes on something cheap. They sound so much better than the stock RP-600M's that I'm eager to replace everything with even better kits from Dannie.  (I was driving the C-Notes with a Crown XLS Drivecore 2 amp, if that matters.)

During the build I routed the backs of the C-Note woofer opening in the baffle, added 30# roofing felt on the inside and rockwool (my attempt at poor man's No-Rez), crossovers in external enclosures,  soldered all wiring from the drivers back to bare wire into the amp's binding posts, and attached the drivers to the baffle with silicone rather than screws because the Parts Express MDF is thin and papery.

I tried one of the C-Notes in place of my R-52C center to see how it would serve as a center channel and found they both left a lot to be desired for movies. The R-52C has more forward detail, but male vocals sound unnaturally chesty. Male and female vocals sound like they're talking inside of a small bathroom (even after adding rockwool to the cabinet).

The C-Note isn't as offensive in that regard, but there's less detail and the center vocals still sound a little boxy (which I don't notice when listening to stereo music through them).

I listen in a small asymmetric living room/home theater that is open in the back to the kitchen. It has carpeted floors, an upholstered couch and about 18 sq feet of 3.5" thick rockwool at the first reflection points on the ceiling.

Has anyone spent enough time with the X-Voce and the X-CS to explain the differences in their sound or to make a recommendation?

I'd eventually like to build the X-Statics or X-LS Encores. I heard some big Martin Logans as a kid and I loved how transparent and clean they sounded. Most of my headphone listening is with Sennheiser HD650's with the grills removed. I enjoy the sound of open back drivers
 and would like to replicate that in my listening room.

Thanks in advance for any experiences or guidance!

Jacob

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: GR Research center channel options
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2020, 11:54 am »
The X-Voce is designed to match the X-Statics. The X-CS Encore is designed to match the X-LS Encore. A third option would be three X-CS Encores as LCR or the Left and Right speakers can be built into floor standing towers (this cabinet is called the X-MTM Encore). While the X-CS Encores aren’t on the website, they do exist.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2020, 07:30 pm »
The biggest difference between the X-CS Classic and the X-Voce is the tweeter.  The classic tweeter is just not as good as the Encore tweeter.  It's darker in comparison and not as resolving.  Of course another big difference between them is the OB mids on the Voce.  Not much difference in character but with OB comes a bit more air and spaciousness.

Doc360

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2020, 04:40 pm »
So which in your opinion would give a cleaner dialogue and sound for let’s say a home theater setup. The X-Voce or the X-CS? I am trying to decide which to get to pair with my X-LS Encores.

I know Mike stated the X-CS matches the Encores but the X- Voce has 2x the woofers as the X-CS.

Thank you guys!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2020, 02:34 pm »
How far will the center channel be from the wall? The X-Voce is open baffle like the X-Statik and like the X-Statik needs to be at least 3ft from the front wall. If it’s not going to be that far into the room, the X-CS Encore is the choice. If it will be at least 3ft. Into the room, either will work. When far enough into the room, the X-Voce will have a more open spacious sound than the X-CS Encore

Doc360

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Mike!

That makes total sense. It will more likely be sitting in top of media console which will be a foot away from the wall. The room is an open space floor plan. So I’ll have to consider room treatments as well.

Rock Ball

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:57 pm »
I need a center channel to match the NX-Tremes.  I'm guessing that it needs to be closed box, due to the lack of available space behind it.  I think one NX-Studio speaker would work better than what I have now since the drivers match, but I would prefer more drivers such as a W-M-T-M-W configuration. 

Has anyone built something like that?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2020, 10:34 pm »
I dont think there's been anything like that I'm aware of, designed around the NX-line.
The X-Voce is probably the closest, but would need a custom front baffle for the matching Neo3 tweeter, instead of the Encore tweeter.

I did doodle a NX-SC, that's roughly based on the NX Studio, but with dual 16ohm NQ Woofers.. but those are still out of stock, and it would likely require a custom crossover.

Rock Ball

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2020, 10:56 pm »
Yes, that is what I had in mind.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2020, 11:13 pm »
Alternatively, you could also order a single NX-Otica & design a custom OB frame that's basically in a WWMTMWW arrangement, or even just a single Otica MTM that's more or less laid onto its side?
Of course im just throwing ideas out there since there isn't an official option..

jwjarch

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2020, 07:22 pm »
Wondering if there has been any other development on an NX center channel since this thread left off.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2020, 07:47 pm »
Wondering if there has been any other development on an NX center channel since this thread left off.
I do have a speaker design thread where I modelled and develped the design further in 3D, but no physical verions have been physically prototyped, as of yet.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171691.0

Tho I think Jay & Danny mentioned in that thread about using an MTM on its side for a center channel?