Entec 8 inch FR info?

mike j

Entec 8 inch FR info?
« on: 4 May 2008, 03:01 am »
Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on Entec speakers?  :scratch:
I found a pair of "Entec NEW-1WT-1" speakers today at a thrift store for $5. They're an 8" FR in a 10 X 14 X 5.5 cabinet. I brought them home, hooked them up, and was actually impressed. I don't know what the SPL is on these, but it's got to be up there. They sounded half-way decent too.  8) I'm thinking they might be a good match for a tube amp or something of the sort.
So... any info on these will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Entec 8 inch FR info?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2008, 06:05 am »
Can you post pictures of the front & back of the driver?

dave

mike j

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2008, 07:01 pm »
dave,
Here is a link to some photos. Thanks.
Mike

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/mikje_album/ENTEC%20Speakers/

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2008, 05:20 pm »
Not enuff info there to positively identify the manufacturer, but likely made in March 1972. My guess is that it is a CTS, but any number of other US OEMs could have made them

Curvelinear cone, small whizzer, accordian surround all bode well as long as they aren't suffering from stiff surround syndrome. Many of these kinds of drivers really prefr being on an OB, but you'd need to run T/S to really find out.

dave

mike j

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2008, 05:42 pm »
Dave,
Thanks for the info. Do you know of a good link to go to so I can find the T/S parameters on these (at least as many as possible with the limited test equipment I have)? I had a link a while back, but I must have deleted it. Thanks again.
Mike

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2008, 07:41 pm »
I'm afraid not. Even if there were parameters done when new, or someone measured a pair, there is a really good chance they wouldn't be the same as yours due to aging....

dave

mike j

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2008, 08:17 pm »
Dave,
Thanks again. OK, here's what might be a dumb question: is there a "rule of thumb" for enclosures if the T/S parameters aren't available. The speakers came in an enclosure that is small (about 5" X 9" X 12"), non-airtight, and they're mounted behind the baffle. If possible, I'd like to mount them in a better enclosure to get the most out of them.
Mike

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2008, 08:05 pm »
OK, here's what might be a dumb question: is there a "rule of thumb" for enclosures if the T/S parameters aren't available. The speakers came in an enclosure that is small (about 5" X 9" X 12"), non-airtight, and they're mounted behind the baffle.

You can only experiment. Leaky box usually means a highis Q. see what it does in an OB and go from there. start by just leaving the back off

dave