recommendations for 10inch driver High Eff/smooth FR/fo to 1200hz (?)

nvrgdenuf

While working on several different ideas at once, one includes pairing a 10 inch waveguide (with a BMS or B&C tweeter) with a 10" extended range driver. Amplification could be EL84, Pass F4, Mauro Penasa My Ref, or similar. Budget probably not more than $125 per driver.
Looking at the Legend B102, or Beyma 10BR60 presently, both have extended FR and appear smooth. (PE has has the Audax cheap right now, but cant find squat for a FR).
Baffle width 12-14 inches, possibly add an extra in a BR for bass reinforcement. Such as the waveguide at top, B102 below in OB, then an addt'l B102 in a ported enclosure for lower fq's,  because of size limitations, or eq'ing with dcx 2496. I do have a couple of Atlas 15a's in H baffles as recommended by MJK.
Anyone had experience success with a particular driver that might work here?
Someone here has probably tried something similar, how did it work out?
thanks
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2008, 02:33 pm by nvrgdenuf »

Magnetar

While working on several different ideas at once, one includes pairing a 10 inch waveguide (with a BMS or B&C tweeter) with a 10" extended range driver. Amplification could be EL84, Pass F4, Mauro Penasa My Ref, or similar. Budget probably not more than $125 per driver.
Looking at the Legend B102, or Beyma 10BR60 presently, both have extended FR and appear smooth. (PE has has the Audax cheap right now, but cant find squat for a FR).
Baffle width 12-14 inches, possibly add an extra in a BR for bass reinforcement. Such as the waveguide at top, B102 below in OB, then an addt'l B102 in a ported enclosure for lower fq's,  because of size limitations, or eq'ing with dcx 2496. I do have a couple of Atlas 15a's in H baffles as recommended by MJK.
Anyone had experience success with a particular driver that might work here?
Someone here has probably tried something similar, how did it work out?
thanks

I found a graph for the Audax at PE and it is only good below 300 hz or so (it's bad!) - would make a nice bass system if you used enough of them and crossed over low and steep enough

The Beyma looks like it's pretty low in sensitivity

The Eminence Lil Buddy hempcone is a pretty sweet driver for midrange - removing the dustcap makes it better and adding a phase plug makes it really nice. They are pretty inexpensive - between 150 and 1.5k they shine with great tone. My little EL84 PP Grundig amp really will light them up

Most 10's I know of will only be good for midrange if you want high sensitivity on an open baffle.

panomaniac

1200Hz isn't much of a stretch for a 10".  But that said - I don't have one that comes to mind.  :|

The Eminence Beta 8A and Beta 12LTA are very nice extended range drivers for a wide midrange.  Both quite good up to 6KHz. Very clean, very detailed, not shouty. (They sound so much better than they look)

rick57

What about the PHL 3451? Not cheap, 100 dB/ watt/ m.
Maganetar iirc you have used them

Magnetar

What about the PHL 3451? Not cheap, 100 dB/ watt/ m.
Maganetar iirc you have used them

They are midrange only - usable rang is not wide - 300 to 1.2 they are good although the JBL 2123 is superior in all respects

Had success mating them OB with a Karlson Klam bass an dipole big Heil Air Motion Transformer.

ttan98

You are the right track, you see I have the same idea as you and so far I have  built a pair of BR, 2way speakers based on 10" driver and waveguide, I use a rectangular RCF, horn H100 which REALLY complements well with DE250 compression driver. The 10" driver I am using is an old alnico driver with 90-92dB spl.

There are a few drivers to choose from, Beyma has a few models that will suit your design, some of them are rather expensive. The one I am looking closely is the Tone Tubby 10" superbass boy(hempcone material) costs about $120 each. It is great for BR reflex design and easily cross around 2Khz or less. I am quite serious on the driver, by the time it reached me it will be very expensive, you see I live in Australia. see below to access the spec of this driver.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060509045035/www.tonetubby.com/specs10b8.htm

I am confident you will get good sound out of this combo, you get up to 95-96dB SPL at midband. After you add up all the costs of driver, waveguide and compr driver you will find the the prices are very reasonable. BTW someone here used the 15" version, he reported with great enthusiasm.

cheers.

Angaria

might consider going with a 12" - better directivity match at the xo point.

Paul W

I'll part with a pair of Eighteen Sound 10NDA520's and BMS 4552ND's on DDS Eng 90 waveguides.  All in perfect condition, but you would need to add a bass driver.  (I also have a pair of BMS 18N850's but those are expensive.)  PM if interested...pnwright3...yahoo.com.

painkiller

The one I am looking closely is the Tone Tubby 10" superbass boy(hempcone material) costs about $120 each. It is great for BR reflex design and easily cross around 2Khz or less.

Based on my experience with the 15" Tone Tubby Superboy bass driver, I would not recommend this for OB use. In a vented enclosure it could be great for midbass/midrange, and up to 10kHz (at least). For OB I would rather use the red Tone Tubby Alnico drivers with untreated cones.