Sterling Silver Iris review

Telstar

Re: Sterling Silver Iris review
« Reply #40 on: 14 Nov 2008, 12:45 pm »

I am in a same situation as you, I find 15" is too big for me, I can tolerate 12". The low bass extension is only be obtained if the fs is suffciently low enough, normally 10" or 12" woofer has fs not less than 30Hz. The 15" from Hawthorn has fs=27Hz.

If you use 10" woofer you have to live with less bass extension.

Darrel told me that two 10" Augies should go as down as 30hz, with whom I can live (rather small room and I dont like too strong bass).

It's the midrange that I'm worried a bit more. I have heard OB with two 12" drivers and that sound is just perfect for me. One 15" coas as in the SSI should achieve similar soundstage and quality. But with the 10"? dunno...

Telstar

« Reply #41 on: 14 Nov 2008, 12:50 pm »
How about 15" Augie woofer(s) with a 10" main driver?  That'll save some height.  My Trios are built with sand filled main baffles, and I expect that the width could be narrowed a bit using more conventional construction.

Doak

I have no height problem but the width must be <=45cm, the Duo/Trio are 60cm.
So, I'm going to ask Darrel if a different baffle design could work decently.

Also, I'm having a bit of doubts about putting two 15" Augies in my room. Anybody confronted the Duo with the Trio?
For me it's all about quality (soundstage, transparency, imaging) rather than quantity. I like thight, controlled bass, hence my interest in OB also for bass drivers.

dweekie

« Reply #42 on: 14 Nov 2008, 04:43 pm »
How about 15" Augie woofer(s) with a 10" main driver?  That'll save some height.  My Trios are built with sand filled main baffles, and I expect that the width could be narrowed a bit using more conventional construction.

Doak

I have no height problem but the width must be <=45cm, the Duo/Trio are 60cm.
So, I'm going to ask Darrel if a different baffle design could work decently.

Also, I'm having a bit of doubts about putting two 15" Augies in my room. Anybody confronted the Duo with the Trio?
For me it's all about quality (soundstage, transparency, imaging) rather than quantity. I like thight, controlled bass, hence my interest in OB also for bass drivers.

Do you mean four Augies (2 per side) as opposed to just two total?  It's a matter of room size and dynamics I suppose... in which case quality generally follows quantity.  More drivers = higher efficiency + dynamic headroom.  JLHarden, who chimed in earlier, had 4 augies on each side (8 total) for his monstrous creation. 

jlharden

« Reply #43 on: 15 Nov 2008, 12:48 am »
>>>Do you mean four Augies (2 per side) as opposed to just two total?  It's a matter of room size and dynamics I suppose... in which case quality generally follows quantity.  More drivers = higher efficiency + dynamic headroom.  JLHarden, who chimed in earlier, had 4 augies on each side (8 total) for his monstrous creation.

That monster has departed, but continues to be my measuring stick for bass performance. I've used everything from a quad of ported JBL 2226 woofers, to dual 15" folded horn monsters, to servo controlled sealed subs and so on, and so on...... the Augies driven by the big Crown K2 are like nothing else from 25hz up....so yes, quantity and quality are not exclusive, especially, in critical bass performance where low distortion and realistic dynamics clearly seperate the pretty good from the ultimate. If the room allows and you are debating between a single augmentation driver and multiples, you'll never regret having the extra headroom and all it affords. Have fun!

Jerrod

Telstar

« Reply #44 on: 15 Nov 2008, 03:03 pm »
Do you mean four Augies (2 per side) as opposed to just two total?
Yes.

It's a matter of room size and dynamics I suppose... in which case quality generally follows quantity.  More drivers = higher efficiency + dynamic headroom.  JLHarden, who chimed in earlier, had 4 augies on each side (8 total) for his monstrous creation. 
I think my room is too small for 4 15" augies (total). It measures 3,5x5m (height a hefty 3.3m) [use google for inches conversion].
i have listened to decent speakers in smaller rooms, as well in bigger... and i prefer bigger :)
I will move to a bigger house (about 50sq meters audio room) somewhere in the next two years, but i'm absolutely not willing to wait til then ;)

Honestly, do you agree that is best for me to have 1 augie per speaker?

jlharden

« Reply #45 on: 15 Nov 2008, 06:37 pm »
The Augies don't really care how big of room they are in. Think of it as reserve power and enjoy the ever diminishing distortion levels due to the additional headroom available. You on the other hand may feel they are too obtrusive, but that is a cosmetic issue and not an acoustical one. You might consider squeezing them in for the time being, if your not too distant plan is to move anyway. Your call. How about a 10" trio?

J

Telstar

« Reply #46 on: 15 Nov 2008, 08:55 pm »
The Augies don't really care how big of room they are in. Think of it as reserve power and enjoy the ever diminishing distortion levels due to the additional headroom available. You on the other hand may feel they are too obtrusive, but that is a cosmetic issue and not an acoustical one. You might consider squeezing them in for the time being, if your not too distant plan is to move anyway. Your call. How about a 10" trio?

J

Thank you. It is also true that adding more woofers raise the sensitivity?

I'm working with Darrel for a 10" quintet (passive) :)
Still unsure of what i'll do in the end.

doak

« Reply #47 on: 15 Nov 2008, 11:33 pm »

J

Thank you. It is also true that adding more woofers raise the sensitivity?

Using a total of six 10" Augies surely will raise the efficiency and may come very close to equaling that of the 10" SI driver - interesting. 
Is it your intention to drive each speaker with one amplifier?

Doak

Telstar

« Reply #48 on: 16 Nov 2008, 12:00 am »

Using a total of six 10" Augies surely will raise the efficiency and may come very close to equaling that of the 10" SI driver - interesting. 

Doak

My intention is to drive all speakers with my amplifier, yes, if it's that what you mean :)
Maybe with the 16ohm ones.

Lots of ideas, brainstorming for now..

doak

« Reply #49 on: 16 Nov 2008, 12:18 am »

Doak

My intention is to drive all speakers with my amplifier, yes, if it's that what you mean :)
Maybe with the 16ohm ones.

Lots of ideas, brainstorming for now..

Oops.  Meant "drive BOTH speakers" with one stereo amp, or two monoblocks.   :oops:

Hmmm,  what load will that present to the amp then is the question?

Doak

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #50 on: 16 Nov 2008, 11:03 am »
Dan,

Sorry for not replying sooner. 

As mentioned above the 10 inch Sterling seems a bit more coherent at crossover (jumping the dispersion gap between 1 inch and 15 inch drivers, even given the coaxial waveguide help is problematic).  I'm writing here more in theory than practice.  Honestly the 15 drivers (Silver or Sterling) pull off this feat amazingly well (versus what you might presume).

What is lost is some "feel" or room pressurization going from the 15 inch to the 10 inch drivers.  Which is a trade off I'd easily make (and I use speakers room rated below 30 Hz), especially knowing that a Auggie/sub could be added. 

Room size is another factor.  In a bedroom sized room the 10 drivers should provide about the perfect amount of bass loading.  And honestly the 15 inch drivers look almost "beastly" big.

Telstar

« Reply #51 on: 16 Nov 2008, 12:03 pm »

Doak

Yeah...
I'm making a thread on hawthorne forum. I took already a big amount of space on your review thread :)

doak

« Reply #52 on: 16 Nov 2008, 01:41 pm »

Doak

Yeah...
I'm making a thread on hawthorne forum. I took already a big amount of space on your review thread :)

It ain't mine either Telstar!   :wink:
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2008, 03:28 pm by doak »

Telstar

« Reply #53 on: 16 Nov 2008, 08:01 pm »
It ain't mine either Telstar!   :wink:

Ah then we can waste space :)
That review on enjoythemusic wasn't that special ;)

Telstar

« Reply #54 on: 16 Nov 2008, 09:22 pm »

doak

« Reply #55 on: 16 Nov 2008, 10:25 pm »
Here's my project:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2480

Very interesting indeed.
Will follow the development over at the Hawthorne Forum.

Doak

doak

« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2008, 01:43 am »
I've posted my most recent experience/work with the Hawthorne Trios over at the Hawthorne Forum.

Here's a link if interested:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2393&p=34857#p34857