Amarra Music Player

pardales

Re: Amarra Music Player
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2009, 01:00 pm »
It makes sense to me that a software product like this could improve sound and so I am very open to trying it at some point. Will it only work with certain DAC's?

Even if I thought it wonderful, I find myself unlikely to spend 1.5K on this product. It is just way too expensive for software. Seems they are trying to recoup their costs a little too quickly. I would probably not spend much more than $300 on a product like this. 

Just my two cents,

You are quite right. It is expensive. Unfortunately, a lot of the good pro-audio software is expensive (as can be evidenced by clicking here).

I see. That is some expensive stuff. So is this aimed at the PRO market? If it is then this pricing makes sense -- perhaps there should be a stripped down version for the consumer market -- or maybe this is it? 

Tuckers

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2009, 05:21 pm »
Audioclyde:  Yes, Amarra would work only if you are using iTunes on a Mac and outputting the digital through SPDIF, FireWire, USB etc. It does not work if you are streaming music to a Transporter or other Squeezebox-type device.

mercman

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2009, 05:22 pm »
It's too bad that Sonic Studio isn't posting a link for customers that have purchased the product to download the latest version. I guess I have to contact them.

silverlight

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2009, 06:12 pm »
John - have you guys done quality comparisons between using Amarra on the Mac using USB/Firewire to a DAC versus using a (ideally word clock slaved) Transporter streaming files off of a Mac's internal or external hard drive?  What would be the key comparison here in terms of what would be driving the difference in sound quality (I can guess which direction you'd be heading with the prior question)?

mercman

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:51 pm »
I received an e-mail today with the updated program. It looks like Sonic Studio takes good care of their customers.

wilsynet

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2009, 09:54 pm »
I have the 3139 build and so far can't get it to work (or at least I don't think it's working).  I hear there's a 4145 build, but there's no link to it so I have to submit a request to download again.  Not sure why they need a human approval process as the software is protected by a USB dongle.

mercman

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jun 2009, 10:25 pm »
I noticed a strange thing with Amarra 1.01. I started listening to James Taylor Covers 2: Get A Job and his voice seemed distant. I switched Amarra off and listened to iTunes. I then hit the button back to Amarra and James voice was normal.  The same thing happened earlier today. Everything seems to play fine after Amarra is turned off and on.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Brucemck

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2009, 06:15 pm »
Mercman ... does the PEQ functionality in Amarra work in your setup, or, does that require the Sonic Solutions hardware box?

mercman

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2009, 06:47 pm »
I believe it was designed for their hardware.

Tuckers

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm »
There is a software version of Sonic PEQ (Parametric Equalizer) in the Amarra Software.  This allows three bands of EQ (you choose the frequencies).  The Amarra Models 3 and 4 hardware  use Sonics HARDWARE EQ (on chip EQ) which is superior to the software EQ. 

The hardware EQ is six band (user selectable) and has many types of EQ besides parametric, allows manipulation via a visual graph, and allows you to add together many types of EQ and DSP.   This can be used for Speaker/Room EQ.  The 8 channels in and out enable us to do digital crossovers for speakers as well, we have done this with several Emerald Physics speakers, and it works great.

Brucemck

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2009, 10:54 pm »
Tuckers, in the hardware based solution is that six bands of PEQ per output channel, or total number of bands overall?  (Can I separately PEQ each channel, or if using the Sonic Solutions outboard box as my crossover, per output channel?)

dB Cooper

« Reply #31 on: 15 Jun 2009, 11:27 pm »
We sell a complete VRS Optimization Package that comes on an external drive.  This is a complete system on a drive, with it's own version of Leopard etc.
You are in effect selling a copy of Leopard, installed on a device that is not a Mac. What is different about "it's (sic) own version"? How is this not a violation of Leopard's EULA?
Just idle curiosity as I won't be spending the cost of an entire computer on an audio player in any event, no matter how good it may or may not be.

Crimson

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2009, 11:35 am »
Late to respond, but I received the dongle on Monday. With no intermittent periods of silence, I'm really enjoying the software. WRT the Remote app running on an iPhone/iTouch, works great but I wonder if it would be possible to have the volume slider control Amarra's output level instead of iTunes'.

rydenfan

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:35 pm »
Crimson, I would love to hear more details from you on the differences between itunes and Amarra.

Crimson

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:35 pm »
Crimson, I would love to hear more details from you on the differences between itunes and Amarra.

<audiophile adjective mode>
A cool thing about Amarra is the ability to switch it on and off during playback, making for an easy comparison between itself and iTunes. As soon as it's switched off, iTunes seamlessly takes over, and vice versa. During initial listening using the demo, bass seemed to go slightly lower with better definition and the highs were more extended with no grain or glare (analog-like). Now with the dongle in place enabling uninterrupted listening sessions, it seems the mids are less veiled and the overall presentation is a bit more focused with better PRAT, without being in-your-face or analytical. The music flows very well. All my listening to-date has been standard 16/44.1 AIFF files via a Wavelength Brick v2. I haven't tried it with my RME or Apogee yet, both of which are 24/192 capable.
</audiophile adjective mode>

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jun 2009, 03:42 pm »

<audiophile adjective mode>
A cool thing about Amarra is the ability to switch it on and off during playback, making for an easy comparison between itself and iTunes. As soon as it's switched off, iTunes seamlessly takes over, and vice versa. During initial listening using the demo, bass seemed to go slightly lower with better definition and the highs were more extended with no grain or glare (analog-like). Now with the dongle in place enabling uninterrupted listening sessions, it seems the mids are less veiled and the overall presentation is a bit more focused with better PRAT, without being in-your-face or analytical. The music flows very well. All my listening to-date has been standard 16/44.1 AIFF files via a Wavelength Brick v2. I haven't tried it with my RME or Apogee yet, both of which are 24/192 capable.
</audiophile adjective mode>

Finally!  Back to how it sounds....so much talk about the software that one really seem to have to dig to find anything about how it sounds.  I have a Mac Mini > Wavelength Cosecant V3 and I'm tempted...it NEVER stops

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:01 pm »
Just found out that Amarra will not currently work with Mac AIFF files.  Will be coming in a month or so...

mercman

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:02 pm »
With a Wavelength Cosecant V3 you will be in heaven, especially with high-rez material. ( Not that the improvement isn't easily heard with 44.1/16 stuff). You can read my review of Amarra at Computer Audio Asylum. 

Amarra works with AIFF. Just doesn't work with Apple Lossless and Flac yet.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:05 pm »
With a Wavelength Cosecant V3 you will be in heaven, especially with high-rez material. ( Not that the improvement isn't easily heard with 44.1/16 stuff). You can read my review of Amarra at Computer Audio Asylum. 

Amarra works with AIFF. Just doesn't work with Apple Lossless and Flac yet.

I just spoke with John at Sonic Studio and he said it wouldn't work with Mac AIFF. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:09 pm »
You can read my review of Amarra at Computer Audio Asylum. 

Do you mind posting that link?