RWA modded TEAC setup

yertletheturtle

RWA modded TEAC setup
« on: 7 Jan 2007, 05:13 pm »
Hi all, and hi Vinnie.  I just received my RWA battery modded TEAC amp from member wendell (thanks wendell--beautifully packed).  I would appreciate some input from folks before investing a whole bunch more money. 

I am returning to playing around with stereo equipment after a long hiatus.  Various family demands made me drop my hobby just when it was getting interesting over a year ago (maybe two) when there was so much buzz around the t-amps and RWA clari-t.  At the time Vinnie was deciding on  name for a pre-amp and fielding suggestions from members and I joined in the fray.  Now that i re-ntered the fray I was not surprised to see that Vinnie's work is getting very sophisticated and price of admission has gone up accordingly. 

In any case, my source is my iMac running itunes. I can output via either a powerwave (usb to rca) which I own, or a airport express (wifi to rca) which I also own.  I also have a pair o Gallo Nucleus Divas and a matching MPS sub.  my cables are standard computer store mini to rca and gallo's solid core copper speaker wire. 

My question is..... Where is money (about $500) best spent?  usb dac upgrade? cables by audiopath?  speakers by omega (perhaps a used pair of grande-8R's or a pair of super 3's)? 

I hope to have a little more info on the sound of this setup as I start to listen to it, but any input that steers me in the right direction may help save me a bunch of time and money
Your input is much appreciated.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: RWA modded TEAC setup
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2007, 05:23 pm »
Just checking....this is what you have....the RWA Teac ?

Photo is from my Gallery....its a good amp. 8)

yertletheturtle

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2007, 06:20 pm »

Not exactly (rcas and speaker outs are placed a little differently but basically the same.
thanks
Dimitri

Tubo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2007, 06:42 pm »
I have a RWA Teac myself. I would recommend getting 6-ohm speakers for the Tripath chip. Higher impedance and the chip exhibits a slight rise in the high frequencies; lower impedance, a slight dip. Do a search and you will find posts that discuss this.

Use the AE if there are no wi-fi interference issues in your home. Get a DAC that can accept a Toslink input, and use a true glass cable (as opposed to plastic fibers), mini-Toslink on the AE end, regular Toslink on the DAC end.

Use Apple Lossless for music files.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2007, 06:43 pm »

Not exactly (rcas and speaker outs are placed a little differently but basically the same.
thanks
Dimitri
OK...its a good amp. Mine was damaged during my "loan" program, so I moved up to the Sig. 30....it was a very good move !!! :D

My question is..... Where is money (about $500) best spent?  usb dac upgrade? cables by audiopath?  speakers by omega (perhaps a used pair of grande-8R's or a pair of super 3's)?
A good dac matters...good source is important.
Cables can add to a better sound....experiment.
Speakers....Louis builds some nice ones....I have a pair, the A8's....but I've not heard your Gallo Nucleus Divas/w sub.....so I couldn't say.
I guess I'd move on the dac, and experiment with cables...borrow a few.

Put up some more info....room size, music....the more known, the better the comments.... 8)

Chris
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2007, 06:55 pm by lonewolfny42 »

yertletheturtle

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2007, 08:34 pm »
I have a RWA Teac myself. I would recommend getting 6-ohm speakers for the Tripath chip. Higher impedance and the chip exhibits a slight rise in the high frequencies; lower impedance, a slight dip. Do a search and you will find posts that discuss this.

Use the AE if there are no wi-fi interference issues in your home. Get a DAC that can accept a Toslink input, and use a true glass cable (as opposed to plastic fibers), mini-Toslink on the AE end, regular Toslink on the DAC end.

Use Apple Lossless for music files.
Thanks for the advice.  I like this (airport express) solution best because of the easy wiring.  do you have any dac suggestions?  i have tried nixon tube dac + in past with favorable/pleasant results.  would a battery powered dac make more sense?
thanks
Dimitri

yertletheturtle

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2007, 09:18 pm »

Put up some more info....room size, music....the more known, the better the comments.... 8)

Chris
i will add photos but the room is a newly renovated 10' x 12' bedroom with a queen size bed in the middle.  makes speaker placement difficult.  The gallos have been strung around the house in home theater duty and in the kids' rooms connected via airport express and stock si t-amp.  the sound is decent but not mind-blowing.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2007, 09:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I like this (airport express) solution best because of the easy wiring.  do you have any dac suggestions?  i have tried nixon tube dac + in past with favorable/pleasant results.  would a battery powered dac make more sense?
thanks
Dimitri
I'm using the Mhdt Labs Paradisea dac with my Sig. 30....it really sounds good....I like it !! 8)
I have heard a Scott Nixon dac in the past....a few Raver's had it. I prefer the Paradisea.....Info Link....
I've not used a battery dac....so can't help you there.

i will add photos but the room is a newly renovated 10' x 12' bedroom with a queen size bed in the middle.  makes speaker placement difficult.  The gallos have been strung around the house in home theater duty and in the kids' rooms connected via airport express and stock si t-amp.  the sound is decent but not mind-blowing.
The room is fine for a Teac set-up....meaning it not too big.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2007, 03:21 am »
Hi Dmitri,

I also have a pair o Gallo Nucleus Divas and a matching MPS sub.

How do you have your sub connected?  I just want to make sure that you are not using the speaker output terminals to connect to your sub.

OK...its a good amp. Mine was damaged during my "loan" program, so I moved up to the Sig. 30....it was a very good move !!!

Thanks, Chris!  The Sig 30 is a big improvement over the modded Teac, but outside of Dmitri's budget for improvements. 

I am not familiar with those Gallo Nucleus Divas, so I'm not sure how they would stack up to the Super 3s (especially the new Super 3s with the new 4.5" hemp driver  :smoke:, which I heard in the Super 3 V2 box and XRS and they are AWESOME!). 

I like this (airport express) solution best because of the easy wiring.  do you have any dac suggestions?

This is my recommendation:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1172688278, especially if you can get it for even less $$$.  It is an SLA battery powered, non-oversampling dac.

You might want to spend some time and money on room treatments.  How about speaker stands... what are you using?   

Please keep us posted,

Vinnie

yertletheturtle

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2007, 04:16 am »
Hi Dmitri,

How do you have your sub connected?  I just want to make sure that you are not using the speaker output terminals to connect to your sub.

thanks for letting me know....I had no idea but am looking at past threads about this.

I am not familiar with those Gallo Nucleus Divas, so I'm not sure how they would stack up to the Super 3s (especially the new Super 3s with the new 4.5" hemp driver  :smoke:, which I heard in the Super 3 V2 box and XRS and they are AWESOME!). 

maybe I will ask Louis to try the omegas vs the gallos. i'll let you know.  again, thanks for the update on the hemp 4.5".   I was expecting to have to go with a fostex driver in  the super 3.

This is my recommendation:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1172688278, especially if you can get it for even less $$$.  It is an SLA battery powered, non-oversampling dac.

I have read god things about the ack! dac but was always turned off by the battery aspect.  now that I am taking the plunge with the red wine audio TEAC (just bought a clari-T on a'gon also for my brother) I guess I should get over the battery hang-up.  I always liked the TubeDac+.... but I bought it from a guy who was ditching it for a Paradisea which makes me want o give the paradisea a shot.

You might want to spend some time and money on room treatments.  How about speaker stands... what are you using?   

With the gallos (5 inch metal sphere) speaker stands are limited to their offerings which I never liked.  MY gallos are wall mounted.  The omegas no doubt benefit from stands but that blows my budget.  Do you really think thats where my paltry budget is best spent?  I have always de-prioritized these in favor of electroncs and speakers. 

yertletheturtle

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2007, 07:34 am »
I just bought a pair of omega 3's from a AC member.  (I talked to Louis and may splurge on the hemp version to do a little comparison.)  I guess all the posts about RWA-omega synergy left me needing to follow through with this setup.  I may also be picking up a "Constantine" DAC (similar to paradisea but no tube) as per Chris' suggestion.  its a little less pricey and should be comparable sound and there is one available in NYC from a member.  If all works out per plan I will b ein the market for a sig30 soon!! Thanks all, I will post results.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2007, 07:38 am »
Sounds like your on your way Dimitri....nice !!! Happy listening.... :thumb:

Chris

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2007, 01:14 pm »
Hi Dmitri,

maybe I will ask Louis to try the omegas vs the gallos. i'll let you know.  again, thanks for the update on the hemp 4.5".   I was expecting to have to go with a fostex driver in  the super 3.

Louis is now done with Fostex and his new OEM 4.5" Hemp drivers sound significantly better than the Fostex 127E driver.  He already received a few and we were able to listen to both in the same cabinet.  More are on the way...

The Sig 30 + new 4.5" hemp driver in the Super 3V2 or XRS has some serious bottom end slam for such a small driver... it is a really nice match!

With the gallos (5 inch metal sphere) speaker stands are limited to their offerings which I never liked.  MY gallos are wall mounted.  The omegas no doubt benefit from stands but that blows my budget.  Do you really think thats where my paltry budget is best spent?  I have always de-prioritized these in favor of electroncs and speakers. 

IMO, wall mounting doesn't sound nearly as good as putting speakers on stands and getting the speakers away from the wall.  Just something for you to try besides upgrades to your electronics. 

Speaker positioning and room acoustics = VERY important!

Please keep up posted,

Vinnie