Super Mini's up and playing over here.

WC

In  my room,  right around  12'  wide,  I was   getting   down  to that  40 hz  range  with the  Otica's  on their own.

Nice thing is , if you  side load  the  drivers,  you'll likely be able to keep   slim 6.25"   front profile  all the way  down  :)

jay

How wide is the front baffle with them front mounted, like 8.5" or 9"? How do they work side mounted in OB config?

Captainhemo

How wide is the front baffle with them front mounted, like 8.5" or 9"? How do they work side mounted in OB config?

Yes,  the Otica's start with  an 8.5"  wide bafle.    Once we cut  the  10  degree rabbet on the  rear of each side  and ad a .5" roundover  to the front  of each  side ( the roundover  actually  endds at 11.29 mm instead of the  full 12.7 due to the 10 degree    rabbet/wing joint),  yo u end up with   1/8"  on either  side of the 7.25"  driver  flange.

If you  run 4  M165's  straight up  starting the lowest  with a  4  center and leaving   enough room for   a   .5" rouindover onthe rear of each hole  and a  .5"  brace your  4th  driver center will be at 26.5".  Add another  4    to the top  and then  say a  1" top/bottom plate and you're at 32.5"  which is getting up there considering the  Super Mini tweeter is at  13.5" (roughly).

Originally  we'd discussed   doing  3  but    if you  side loaded  and  staggered them  a bit, you'd be able to keep the height down  , will just make  bracing   a bit  tricky.

danny  has some side loaded  8's that work really well,  I'd think the  6.5's will     be fine  configed like this .    Sure  danny  will chime in on this

jay

monte

How low will the 3-8’s reach down to?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Yeah, but your 12" coaxial driver is likely not high pass filtered. So it is still reacting to wavelengths below 200Hz. If you put a filter on it so that it is not trying to play the lower wavelengths then it will hardly move.

I thought the Super V crossover did that? I do have a Behringer crossover I could use but thought not to mess with your design.

Rocket Ronny

Danny Richie

I thought the Super V crossover did that? I do have a Behringer crossover I could use but thought not to mess with your design.

Rocket Ronny

No, the filter in the Super-V has no high pass on the coaxial woofer.

And no, don't put the Behringer in the signal path.

If you want to roll off the lows then I can calculate the value of a single inline cap to use before your power amp that will work nicely.

Captainhemo

How low will the 3-8’s reach down to?

I haven't had a chance to play with the  8" servo drivers yet ( waiting for   more  stock) but from what  danny  has  explained,  I'd say  you'd want to limit them to  around 30 hz for best  results.  If you want  to  drive down into  that  last  10 hz or so,  pass it off  to  a  set of  12's  in  what ever  config  suits  you  (duals, triples  etc)

jay

Saturn94

Any ETA when the Super Mini top and bottom woofer section will be available?

A recent audition of the Magnepan .7 at a fellow ACer’s home has me interested in speakers with better speed/resolution that planar drivers can offer.

Any comments how the Super Mini compares to Maggies?

Nick77

A recent audition of the Magnepan .7 at a fellow ACer’s home has me interested in speakers with better speed/resolution that planar drivers can offer.

Any comments how the Super Mini compares to Maggies?

I believe Danny has all the parts ready to go. Do you mean "flat paks" ??  Good question??

Captainhemo

Hoping for more   baffles  to be   ready  this coming week.
Also been working on a  matching  base with 4 side mouonted M165's.

jay

morganc

Any idea Jay on what the dimensions of that base would be and a ballpark on the price?   Feel free to PM me if you prefer.   This looks like a great entry point for me!

Saturn94

I believe Danny has all the parts ready to go. Do you mean "flat paks" ??  Good question??

In my case, yes, I would need flat packs (top and bottom sections).  I’ve never built/assembled a speaker before, so something with all the parts I could just assemble (with good instructions) would be good. I’m thinking this would save a bit of $$$ over a completed speaker?

Btw, my current speakers are Soundfield Audio Monitor 1.

Oh, and I would use my current sub as well (Powersound Audio Triax).

Nick77

Oh, and I would use my current sub as well (Powersound Audio Triax).                                     

The bottom section to the super mini is the GR research OB subs. You could build your own base if you wernt going to go with servo subs.

Danny Richie

Maybe Jay can post some pics of the renderings that he sent me for the lower end we're working on.

A recent audition of the Magnepan .7 at a fellow ACer’s home has me interested in speakers with better speed/resolution that planar drivers can offer. Any comments how the Super Mini compares to Maggies?

That is a pretty apples and oranges comparison. High sensitivity verses very low sensitivity. Small amps work fine compared to only large amps can be used. Small baffle size compared to large baffle size. Broad room filling sound and large sweet spot area compared to a very small sweet spot. High level of dynamic and detail levels compared to low....

Saturn94

Maybe Jay can post some pics of the renderings that he sent me for the lower end we're working on.

That is a pretty apples and oranges comparison. High sensitivity verses very low sensitivity. Small amps work fine compared to only large amps can be used. Small baffle size compared to large baffle size. Broad room filling sound and large sweet spot area compared to a very small sweet spot. High level of dynamic and detail levels compared to low....

So do I have this right?

Super Mini:
High sensitivity, small baffle size, broad room filling sound, large sweet spot, high level of dynamic and detail

Maggie:
Low sensitivity, large baffle size, small sweet spot, low(er) level dynamics and detail

I’m particularly interested in your assessment of soundstage/image size, dynamics and detail.  The .7 I heard (I posted about it here, post# 42 https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159659.msg1747105#msg1747105 ), sounded great with smaller acoustic assembles and voices, but not as good with a full orchestra going full tilt.  How does the Super Mini handle this?

I don’t want to derail this thread, so let me know if you prefer PM or for me to start a new thread to discuss this.

Thanks.  :D

Captainhemo

Have managed to keep the height to 27.5" and that is  with a  1"  base and a  .75"  top (top is inset into the cabint so no  seams on   the sides).

I'll post  some   renderings    a bit later today/this eve.   Packing boxes

jay

WC

The bottom section to the super mini is the GR research OB subs. You could build your own base if you wernt going to go with servo subs.

That is an option. There is also a narrower option with M165s in a bass section/stand support. It doesn’t go as low as the 12” OB servo subs, but it is less expensive, narrower, and will get it down to a frequency that those of us that have multiple subs in the room can take over for the lowest bass frequencies.

Saturn94

That is an option. There is also a narrower option with M165s in a bass section/stand support. It doesn’t go as low as the 12” OB servo subs, but it is less expensive, narrower, and will get it down to a frequency that those of us that have multiple subs in the room can take over for the lowest bass frequencies.

This is my thought as well.  I would need something that fills the gap between the Super Mini’s low end (200hz), and where my sub would pick up (about 80hz?).

Interestingly, my Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 has a built in powered 8” woofer that picks up at 200hz (above 200hz is handled by passive KEF coax driver).  I wonder if there is a way to use my speaker’s powered  bass section with the Super Mini?

(Ugh, can’t get the bottom image right side up.  Tried editing in album, but change won’t stick.)

Edit:  Thank you to whoever fixed the bottom pic.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2019, 04:44 pm by Saturn94 »

2bigears

:D now these look in budget land. If you just sit them on a double servo base , what will the cost be all in ?   :D  or is a base being developed ?   Thanks.  I love the S7's but to big , heavy and $$ ..... :popcorn:

Saturn94

(Deleted accidental post)

Danny Richie

So do I have this right?

Super Mini:
High sensitivity, small baffle size, broad room filling sound, large sweet spot, high level of dynamic and detail

Maggie:
Low sensitivity, large baffle size, small sweet spot, low(er) level dynamics and detail

Yes.

I’m particularly interested in your assessment of soundstage/image size, dynamics and detail.  The .7 I heard (I posted about it here, post# 42 https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159659.msg1747105#msg1747105 ), sounded great with smaller acoustic assembles and voices, but not as good with a full orchestra going full tilt.  How does the Super Mini handle this?

The Super Mini has handled everything that I have throw at them really well.

I can't wait for more people to hear them. Come on over...