Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?
« Reply #40 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:38 pm »
Wilco and Los Lobos.

I completely disagree about the comments that since Wilco is SO reliant on Jeff Tweedy that they therefore are not a band??  Just because you have a band leader, a strong force, doesn't make you any less of a band.  How would you explain Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers?  Creedence?  Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (just using other mentions here as examples)?  And not Steely Dan, you say?  Why, cuz it's primarily Donald and Walter, with a revolving door of session guys?  So a band needs to be, what, at least three?  Some then would raise a flag and call that a trio.  Four?  Net/net, I think we're getting way too semantic here IMO. 

However...I WILL be semantic enough to throw these candidates out....we are talking AMERICAN band, right??  Not Britain or Canada, right?  :)

The Who is great as you state in your title.

I'll pick RUSH.

sts9fan

« Reply #41 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:45 pm »
A band can be one persons but it's still a band. Wilco is Tweedy's that's fact not opinion but it's still a band. Steely Dan is two people plus hired help. They are still a band. The Black Keys are still a band.

jackman

« Reply #42 on: 22 Oct 2011, 10:00 pm »
Was Elvis a band?  Johnny Cash?  Chuck Berry?  These guys would not qualify as active but I don't consider them to be part of a band.  For me, a band is a group of guys who exchange ideas and collaborate to produce music.  CCR was a band until the other guys tried to play a bigger role.  John Fogerty just said, wait a minute, I write all the songs and sing them.  What do I need you guys for? 

Bob Marley and the Whalers were technically a band but I never thought of them the way you think of the Beatles or U2.  Bob Marley played with some good musicians but he WAS the band.  Same with Jeff Tweedy.  A great talent but not sure I'd call these guys a band. 

Springsteen is a tough one because he played with the same group for so long.  Still, Bruce overshadows the other guys so much, writes and sings all of the songs, and can fire any member without having to take a vote from the other guys.  To me, this is not a band.  If one member has total control over everything, it's probably not a band, but an individual playing under the pretense of a band.  Just my opinion. 

Either way, some great suggestions.  If we are allowing individuals as "bands", I'd like to include Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams.  Those are two really good "bands". :thumb:  Also, Prince was a really good "band" back in the day.   :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 22 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm »
Jeff Tweedy has done solo things.  Wilco has done their own albums.  To compare the Wilco thing to Elvis or Johnny Cash is, well, apples and ashtrays IMO.  Creedence and Wilco?  Yes.

jackman

« Reply #44 on: 22 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm »
I kind've agree with you guys, and I kind've don't.   :scratch:

If a band has one guy who writes and sings all of the songs, composes all of the music, can fire or hire anyone he wants, has total control over every song on every record, set list order and what songs are played at live shows, and he gets to keep the lion's share of all band revenue, is it really a band?  How is this different than a guy like Elvis or Johnny Cash, or Ray Charles who played with some of the same musicians for many years.  Heck, Elvis played with the same group of musicians for longer than Tweedy did with Wilco. 

Not to pick on Wilco (because I am a huge fan) but if Tweedy showed up tomorrow and told the band they were now a traditional Scottish band, the rest of the guys would immediately go out and get fitted for kilts.  Jeff has his solo projects but that's mainly marketing.  His Wilco stuff has a certain sound and if he has a song that doesn't fit in with the vibe of Wilco, he saves it for his solo work.  Check out the movie "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart", it's about the making of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  See what happens to Jay Bennett, former guitar player for Wilco, who mistakes Wilco for a band.  Jay was summarily fired, and none of the bandmates had the guts to complain because they would be next in line. 

I'm not saying Jeff doesn't collaborate with his bandmates, but it's 100% on his terms.  Probably not much different than his solo stuff, except with different hired help.  Not to say that he's not awesome because he is, and I'm a big fan. 

frank111

« Reply #45 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm »
 I enjoy rocking out to ZZ Topp. Aerosmith sold out to commercialization in the 80's- they havent produced anything decent since the album 'ROCKS'. So I'll stick with those ZZ Topp guys. Havent heard from Fleetwood Mac in a few yrs ...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #46 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm »
Jackman,

No disputing how Jeff used to be, but that was the past.  Jeff has admitted that he was too much of a control freak and has worked on getting better in terms of collaborating with his bandmates.

What makes Wilco the best active band for me is the fact that for the last few albums and tours it has been a more complete and accomplished band + Jeff.   :thumb:  This combination has elevated Wilco IMHO.

George

R_burke

« Reply #47 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm »
Allman Brothers and Los Lobos get my vote  though Dave Mathews Band, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty are up there, but because of the "front man" thing I'm not sure they qualify

Delta Wave

« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:04 am »
What about Tool? There are sooo many great bands out there right now, X is still touring, Cowboy Junkies are still going strong and Soundgarden is back for more.

drab

« Reply #49 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:07 am »
The L.A. Phil. Although I don't think there are any original members left. :lol: Seriously though, my top three are Pearl Jam, Social Distortion and Metallica. Are the Eagles currently active?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:09 am »
What about Tool? There are sooo many great bands out there right now, X is still touring, Cowboy Junkies are still going strong and Soundgarden is back for more.

CJ's are Canadian.  They'd be on my list too.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #51 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:09 am »
I just can't take Wilco when their songs diverge into noise.  If they stay out of noise, they're good.  Not as good as The Decemberists, but good.  I can listen to every CD back-to-back by the Decemberists; there are several SONGS by Wilco I've never -- and I mean NEVER -- made it the whole way through. 

I still also like Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

+1 for Big Head Todd and the Monsters.   :thumb:

First time I saw them was back in 1993 or 1994 in a small venue in Rochester.  While they rocked, they may have been upstaged by the opening act who I had never heard of at that time...Dave Matthews Band.   :wink:

George

InfernoSTi

« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:13 am »
So when The Band was the backup band for Bob Dylan, they weren't a "band" because he was the dominate artistic force?  But then they were a "band" when they played their own music.  But what were they when Bob Dylan was their guest singing their old songs?  Were they not a band again?  And when I saw Rick Danko and Levon Helm play The Band songs together, were they a band or not?  So confusing....

And does it really matter if it is "an American" band?  Again, The Band had a handful of Canadians and one American.  What does that make them? 

Just because there is a dominate artistic force, doesn't mean the rest are diminished.  This is zero sum thinking. With a band, the pie expands as a result of the collective...Gestalt, if you will.

The whole Wilco conversation is a bit odd to me.  I mean they are really the band from Uncle Tupelo once Jay left after he and Jeff split.  And Jeff hasn't been the only continuous member of Wilco, bassist John Stirratt has been there since they were all in Uncle Tupelo together.  And they have only made one change with the drummer, right?  So it seems that while Jeff Tweedy is the artistic force, the band is not something to be diminished...without the chemistry, it would never work.  Just ask Dylan about that! 

Just my two cents...

John

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #53 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:21 am »

Three words :  Insane Clown Posse. Can all those Juggalos possibly be wrong? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

D.D.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #54 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:38 am »
The Patti Smith Group, Mississippi All Stars and Tom Waits are worth a mention.

jackman

« Reply #55 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:56 am »
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to take this thread off course.  No doubt, Wilco deserves to be in the mix.  I'm not sure about some of the other bands mentioned because there are some who are far past their prime and not technically active.  Also, don't get me wrong, I love lots of bands who are way past their prime!

Lately, I have been playing lot of the Lucinda Williams Band (AKA Lucinda Williams).  She is my favorite active American "band" along with Ryan Adams.  After the RHCP's, these two get my vote! 

Great idea for a thread! 

Delta Wave

« Reply #56 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:29 am »
The Mars Volta, Tool, Flaming Lips, Dream Theater, Tool, Beck, Queens of the Stone Age, Tool, Reverend Horton Heat, Slayer, Mastodon, Tool, Tool, Pixies, Tool...  :icon_lol:

ngomez745

« Reply #57 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:04 am »
Really........Stealy Dan? Yeah in 1970's . Red Hot Chili Peppers with no John Frusciante? Their new album stinks! Their best album was in 1991.And Pearl Jam? Back in the Grunge days, maybe.
Who is America's Greatest Active Band? Meaning who's making great music today in 2011?
That would be Wilco,The National, and Fleet Foxes. And if you're talking North America, it wouldn't be Rush!
It would be Arcade Fire.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #58 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:45 am »
Tool

Rclark

« Reply #59 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:32 am »
Rush is Canadian. I would have to throw Them Crooked Vultures into the mix.

I got that album day 1. Popped it in last night cause I haven't heard it with my updated gear, and it left me gobsmacked. That might be one of the best albums of the last ten years.

Can't wait for the new one.

Chickenfoot OTOH, man, their album III is an epic fail. Not even interested in checking out the first one. I'm sure they're awesome live though, especially with a few beers in you.