Concrete walls X3

drummermitchell

Concrete walls X3
« on: 11 Sep 2011, 04:10 pm »
Would like to know how much bass trapping should be used with concrete walls(insulated and drywalled).
Since I just repainted I have taken down all my Gik panels ect,so I'm starting over.
I had tri's(stacked in all corners ect).

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
  • Acoustical Design & Consulting
Re: Concrete walls X3
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2011, 08:02 pm »
How exactly is the drywall/insulation added to the concrete?

The primary answer to your question ("how much bass trapping in all concrete room") is twice as much as you think you might need and then double that.  The good news may in fact be that your "finished" walls may be providing a membrane absorption benefit that is going to get you on the right road.

If your room dimensions are favorable, GIK Tri-Traps or similar should do a very solid job down to 70Hz.

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2011, 09:11 pm »
Jeff,behind the drywall and insulation are 2X4 studs ect.
The 4th wall(no concrete is 2X4+drywall,finished on outside with roxull on the inside.
Ceiling(dropped) has roxull in joist cavities also,plus the floor is carpeted(berber).
It's a very quiet room 19X12X7H,even with acoustic panels it seems not right.
Maybe I was so used to my old 11X15 room 2X4walls and paneling but she seemed to have some life to it or distortions of sorts.
Even my subs seem way quieter F-113's :o :lol:.maybe all this cement is making it to dull and dead sounding,with and without traps :scratch:.
As I just painted the room,perhaps I'll just install the tri's again and leave the 244's,242's off the wall to see.

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm »
If I may play detective for a minute:did your previous room have a "normal" gypsum or plaster ceiling?  Was it a more typical 8'-9' in height?

I suspect that your low 7' dropped ceiling is a huge change in acoustical and psychoacoustical cues.

There is a term in acoustics: misappropriation of acoustical materials.  This simply means that in general terms the room has all the acoustical control elements it may need, but they are located improperly.  Typically this term may apply to a church sanctuary with a drop ceiling and hard walls resulting in erratic spatial response...add some fuzz on walls and gyp bd in grids and balance improves (highly simplified of course).

This same approach may very well help you.  Add the right type of reflective/diffusive elements to the ceiling, and keep wall panels & corner traps...this room is very likely to have a greatly improved sense of balance and space.  One cool thing is that your ceiling is likely a highly effective bass trap.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm »
As we just bought the house(Oct.)last year,it has those flimsy fiberglass ceiling tiles and there was no insulation in the floor joists,so I put roxull up in the cavities.
The dropped ceiling was always there as are the ceiling tile.
It would be superb if I could get that added sense of space.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:25 pm »
Got your email and answered you there.

We can work with getting the ringing down and tweaking the positioning to smooth the response.

As Jeff said, concrete walls have basically zero give or acoustic value like a standard drywall wall would provide. 

Diffusion (after getting the bottom end right) could help with giving you a larger sense of space.

Bryan