US Food Consumption - Data, Trends, and Analysis

genjamon

Re: US Food Consumption - Data, Trends, and Analysis
« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:56 pm »
Sorry, Tyson, I don't mean to sully your thread.  It's just that it's hard to know where things start and stop with what's appropriate.  For instance, your last post you mention how you just don't know exactly what you're getting with processed foods and in restaurants.  They like to load up with whacked out ingredients.  I was just trying to tell a little of the backstory to why that situation exists - i.e. how certain broader society-systems relationships have shaped the choices available to us, often in ways just as unhealthy as the foods they produce.

geezer

« Reply #41 on: 12 Aug 2011, 08:08 pm »
geezer, it's only easy if you are committed to making most of your food from scratch.  The moment you start to buy pre-prepared anything you are screwed.  Same with most restaurants.  Restaurants also like to load up the veggie oils and the sugar, too.

Maybe I'm luckier than most: I have three excellent restaurants near me where they are very willing to accommodate my needs. Also, most chinese restaurant menus have good things for me. In addition, I have an organic-food oriented market near by; they stock a very good variety of gluten-free stuff. As well however, the same stuff can be found on line.

Wayner

« Reply #42 on: 12 Aug 2011, 08:49 pm »
geezer, it's only easy if you are committed to making most of your food from scratch.  The moment you start to buy pre-prepared anything you are screwed.  Same with most restaurants.  Restaurants also like to load up the veggie oils and the sugar, too.

Bingo! My niece is a beautiful 20 year old that likes to hang around with her friends. Oops, no pizza, no hamburger (OK, less bun), but no ketchup. No beer. That's tuff on a kid from Wisconsin.

Wayner  8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 12 Aug 2011, 08:51 pm »
geezer,
You are luckier than most.

Tyson

« Reply #44 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:24 pm »
Oh, BTW I am stoked - I just got back some of my most recent round of test results from my cardiologist - I've had somewhat elevated liver function in the past and elevated homocysteine, neither of which are great for you.  So I started eating more eggs and liver because the choline in them is used preferentially during the methylation process.  Betain (from spinach and other leafy greens) can also be used as a 2nd choice, but betain's conversion leads to higher waste products (ie, homocysteine).  Homocysteine is a fairly strong predictor of future heart attacks. 

I'm happy to say that both my Homocysteine and my liver function tests are at an all-time low.  I still eat tons of spinach and other leafy greens, but it looks like the added eggs and liver had a very positive affect on me.  Anyway, just wanted to share some good news....

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:39 pm »
WGH - I read a lot of current research on heart disease and it's pretty clear now what's driving it.  In the old days they thought it was elevated cholesterol.  But the problem was that half the people with heart attacks had normal or low cholesterol (I had low cholesterol when I had mine).  Then they broke it up to HDL, LDL, and Triglycerides.  That was somewhat more predictive, but not a whole lot.  Then the dived into the LDL a bit more and discovered subfractions.  Turns out that large LDL is moderately predictive, but small, dense ldl is highly predictive.  Even more recently they have discovered that oxidized LDL is even more predictive than the small dense ldl. 

So, what drives small ldl?  Refined carbs and sugar.  What causes oxyLDL?  It's still under investigation, but it seems to be that the LDL is not cleared from the system effectively. 

Actually, to fully explain it, I need to back up a bit.  All ldl starts life as VLDL, or Very Low Density LDL (or Very Large LDL).  It's job is to transport stuff like fat-soluble vitamins to your cells, along with cholesterol and other fat based nutrients (cholesterol is actually used by your cells to maintain cell integrity).  After depositing it, then it becomes IDL, or intermediate density LDL, which still has some payload to drop off to different cells.  Finally it becomes plain old LDL, and at that point should be recycled by the liver to become VLDL again.  In people with heart disease, this doesn't happen, the LDL particles remain in the blood stream and become small, dense ldl.  This small LDL is then highly prone to oxidation, and it is the oxidized ldl which penetrates the artery walls (because it is smaller than the endothelial barrier), and once imbedded there it starts to rot.  This rot is seen as an infection by the body, so it sends white T-cells, which attack the necrosis.  As part of this attack the become foam cells and leave plaque residue as part of their programmed cell death.

Net result, you end up with plaque because your liver stops handling LDL properly.  So, the question is, what causes the liver to stop working right?  Being overwhelmed by toxins.  If you consider that alcohol and fructose act on the liver in the exact same manner, the mechanism becomes clear.  If you drink lots of alcohol, obviously it damages your liver and you die young.  Well, we now know that fructose acts on the liver in the same manner. 

To put this in perspective, consider that a 12 oz can of coca cola contains 39 grams of sugar, and about half of that breaks down to fructose, that's 20 grams of fructose hitting your liver hard, and fast.  Now compare that to wine - a glass of wine has about 8 grams of alcohol.  So, you'd have to drink more than 2 glasses of wine to equal a single coke.  And so it goes, with cookies, cake, fruit juice, flavored yogurt, candy bars, etc, etc, etc....

Wheat also hits the liver pretty hard via lectins, which are natural pesticides.  Modern wheat is bread with higher amounts of lectins, which are toxins to us and are detoxed in the liver.  People who have gluten intolerance are actually sensitive to the lectins that are bound into the proteins in wheat.  Gluten is one protein (of at least 32!!) that have to be detoxed by the liver.  Consider that we eat massive amount of wheat based cereal, pasta, bread, crackers, and baked goods like cupcakes, brownies, donuts, etc... and it's clear that sugar and wheat pack a 1-2 punch that's quite potent and does real damage, particularly since we tend to eat these things several times a day, every day of the week, for year after year.  It's amazing our livers don't break down sooner, it's pretty damn resilient when you consider what we do to it.

PS, I should also mention glycated LDL - this seems to go hand in hand with oxyLDL in the smLDL subfraction.  What is glycated LDL?  Well, glycation is protien that has been modified (damaged) by bonding to sugar!  This is the reason that diabetics have WAY more heart disease risk than any other group - they produce glycated LDL like crazy.  Glycated LDL, oxydized LDL, small dense LDL - it all comes back to sugar (and wheat).

Tyson,

Man, you have done an excellent job of explaining this in a few paragraphs. :thumb:

Regarding Oxidized Cholesterol; there are many things that can cause Cholesterol to oxidize, but we should all avoid ingesting it already oxidized.

ALL powered milk and powdered milk products and powedered egg products will have 100% oxidized cholesterol if they have ANY cholesterol % listed in their breakdowns.

So if you used ANY products (like baked goods) or use powdered milk, powdered eggs or even protien supplements, if they list a % and grams of cholesterol in the breakdown, ALL of it is OXIDIZED.

So that is another reason to reduce, restrict, or cease eating baked goods (I did so a few years ago) since they ALL use powedered milk and powdered eggs (as well as their gluten potential).

I also will now only use 100% cholesterol free protien powders.

Your body will cause cholesterol to oxidize to a degree in itself, you certainly don't want to supplement it with food stuffs and supplements (that are supposed to be GOOD 4 u) that supply the crap.

As well, another process (and I hate to tell you all this) is frying eggs creates oxidized cholesterol.  So I now either soft boil, or poach them.  Now even this heat can cause some oxidation, but it is far less.

genjamon

« Reply #46 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:40 pm »
Oh, BTW I am stoked - I just got back some of my most recent round of test results from my cardiologist - I've had somewhat elevated liver function in the past and elevated homocysteine, neither of which are great for you.  So I started eating more eggs and liver because the choline in them is used preferentially during the methylation process.  Betain (from spinach and other leafy greens) can also be used as a 2nd choice, but betain's conversion leads to higher waste products (ie, homocysteine).  Homocysteine is a fairly strong predictor of future heart attacks. 

I'm happy to say that both my Homocysteine and my liver function tests are at an all-time low.  I still eat tons of spinach and other leafy greens, but it looks like the added eggs and liver had a very positive affect on me.  Anyway, just wanted to share some good news....

Very glad to hear it, Tyson.  All your homework on these topics and understanding how your specific body reacts is clearly paying off.  I wish I had the will-power to go to those lengths to understand my own metabolism.

Tyson

« Reply #47 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:28 pm »
I'm very, very curious to see my VAP since I've been loading up on the butter, eggs, liver, and bacon lately.  I still eat lots of fish and take fish oil, so my triglycerides are almost certainly low, but I'm curious to see how the recent changes affect the smLDL and my overall HDL scores. 

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm »
John,
Good points on the dehydrated eggs and milk - that stuff is awful for us.  And if you travel and stay at hotels - guess what, the scrambled eggs they serve for breakfast is almost always from dehydrated eggs.  Avoid!

Re: frying eggs - if you use butter or coconut oil, it resists oxidation and is much better than using a veggie oil.  Also, the cholesterol in eggs is in the yolk, not in the white.  So as long as you only fry your eggs sunny side up, or over easy, there's almost zero oxidation that occurs. 

John Casler

« Reply #49 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm »
I'm very, very curious to see my VAP since I've been loading up on the butter, eggs, liver, and bacon lately.  I still eat lots of fish and take fish oil, so my triglycerides are almost certainly low, but I'm curious to see how the recent changes affect the smLDL and my overall HDL scores.

Here's another hint (which you probably already know)

AVOID SOY AND SOY OIL BASED SUPPLEMENTS!!

Check your fish oil, Vit E, and Vit A supplement ingredients for SOY.

It is like corn based sweeteners and it has infected virtually everything.

SOY = Estrogen and if you are a male (unless it comes from your girlfriend or wife), you don't want it in your body.

John Casler

« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm »
John,
Good points on the dehydrated eggs and milk - that stuff is awful for us.  And if you travel and stay at hotels - guess what, the scrambled eggs they serve for breakfast is almost always from dehydrated eggs.  Avoid!

Re: frying eggs - if you use butter or coconut oil, it resists oxidation and is much better than using a veggie oil.  Also, the cholesterol in eggs is in the yolk, not in the white.  So as long as you only fry your eggs sunny side up, or over easy, there's almost zero oxidation that occurs.

My problem is that since I don't eat bread, I prefer scrambled eggs and that is where you get oxidation in the mix.  Poaching and soft boiled offers a slightly better result.

Wonder if you can poach a scrambled egg?  Don't see why not.  Might try that tomorrow.

soundbitten1

« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm »

AVOID SOY AND SOY OIL BASED SUPPLEMENTS!!

My wife is allergic to soy & soy lecithin and now that we have to read labels we found out that it is in practically everything.

geezer

« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:56 pm »
geezer,
You are luckier than most.

Amen. And food is the least of it!

WGH

« Reply #53 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:14 am »
Wonder if you can poach a scrambled egg?  Don't see why not.  Might try that tomorrow.

Yes you can!

Eggies - "As Seen on TV" (channel 11-2 in Tucson has classic movies and bad commercials)
https://www.geteggiestv.com/

highfilter

« Reply #54 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:35 am »
Some really good information in this thread. Thanks guys!

I've been staying away from bread/wheat for awhile now, but I am starting to research more about the cholesterol stuff, especially in protein powders etc (thanks for the tip).

Some of this information got me researching and has more compact, quality information than a lot of the health forums I have been reading.

I love audio nuts.  :D

brj

« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:55 am »
Interesting thread!

So which are the "least bad" vegetable oils?

If I need an "oil" for food, my typical breakdown is:

• Butter for anything prepared in a pan, not margarine or other similar vegetable based options
  • Extra virgin olive oil for anything prepared on the grill
  • Canola oil only for salad dressings (and thus not subject to heat, and even then I usually cut it with some EVOO)

And I go out of my way to buy organic (while being very thankful to live in an area where there is more competition to provide organic food than in much of the country, making it less painful to purchase - especially when on sale)

JohnR

« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:57 am »
Canola is GM.

John Casler

« Reply #57 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:59 am »
Interesting thread!

So which are the "least bad" vegetable oils?

If I need an "oil" for food, my typical breakdown is:

• Butter for anything prepared in a pan, not margarine or other similar vegetable based options
  • Extra virgin olive oil for anything prepared on the grill
  • Canola oil only for salad dressings (and thus not subject to heat, and even then I usually cut it with some EVOO)

And I go out of my way to buy organic (while being very thankful to live in an area where there is more competition to provide organic food than in much of the country, making it less painful to purchase - especially when on sale)

Add Coconut oil to your list for heated uses, but heat and oils are never a good thing so try to keep them to a minimum.

Not the partially hydrogenated kind though :nono:

WGH

« Reply #58 on: 13 Aug 2011, 01:38 am »
And another thing, my poor niece has developed an allergy to gluten. Try and find some food that doesn't have gluten in it.

I couldn't resist   :wink:

JDUBS

« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2011, 02:27 am »
Data? Trends? Analysis?  :scratch:

D.D.

Ha!  Exactly what I was thinking.  I only took like two stats classes on college / b-school but since when is causation proven by similar trends?  Maybe the correlation / r2 between the two is high but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

-Jim