Whole house surge protection?

Soundminded

Re: Whole house surge protection?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:29 pm »
You're right except for the capacitors used in signal. Each type sounds different, but that's another topic.

PLCs range widely in technology used, and the prices for some are (and I agree here also) are a rip-off.

Budget is a consideration. There is a fancy box made in Spain, out of Tankwood, no circuit inside, no surge protection, just their special metal conductors, and selected outlets. It looks great, improves the sound according to those who have tried it, but they want $9000.000 retail for it.

Anybody want to jump on that right now ?

Here's a source for the real thing industry relies on, not snake oil that targets audiophiles;

http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-Services/

tarquineous

« Reply #41 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:39 pm »
Eaton is one of many manufacturers. I don't think the "whole industry" relies on them.

tarquineous

« Reply #42 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:44 pm »
Here's a source for the real thing industry relies on, not snake oil that targets audiophiles;

http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-Services/

Are you using their products ? If so which ones ? Any effect on A/V performance that you've noticed ?

Soundminded

« Reply #43 on: 13 Dec 2011, 09:27 pm »
Are you using their products ? If so which ones ? Any effect on A/V performance that you've noticed ?

I use a 5110 for my desktop PC. It's a line interactive type UPS, not a double static conversion type which is about 3X as expensive for the same size. I don't use any special power conditioner for my audio systems but I've got 2 Intermatic surge protectors, one on each of my main circuit breaker panels. They are much cheaper than Square D.  I've recently specified several 9355s for some of my employer's clients. These are 30 KVA 26 KW 3 phase industrial types. They're convenient for small labs. I've specified and installed many of these, MGEs (off my list since acquired by APC, still waiting for some good field reports by users) and Liebert, a longstanding favorite. When I need 3 bidders or recommended suppliers I now include Mitsubishi. The largest I ever installed was a 1.6 MVA (1600 KVA) which was for a large corporation's main data center. I've also worked on data centers having many times that capacity. A popular size favorite now is 500 KVA 450 KW often used in multiples in various configurations. 

tarquineous

« Reply #44 on: 13 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm »
Thanks for the info. I use a 1KVa Powervar for the computer system which is working well. For some reason, it improves the sound of the Audio system, not plugged into it. I inadvertently found this out before I placed it with the computer. Maybe it smooths the sine wave, or absorbs line noise, or affects power factor? I don't know.

I also have a 2KVa Sola constant voltage transformer, with capability of 240 volts input. Have not hooked it up yet, but some others who have these, really like them for Audio. This one came from a company that was relocating, and was used for their computer systems. The only trouble with these, is they are noisy, so have to be mounted outside, or in a garage.

Transformers only protect what is connected to the secondaries ( the output ). So these are only whole house if the entire house is run from them.

Soundminded

« Reply #45 on: 14 Dec 2011, 12:30 am »
Thanks for the info. I use a 1KVa Powervar for the computer system which is working well. For some reason, it improves the sound of the Audio system, not plugged into it. I inadvertently found this out before I placed it with the computer. Maybe it smooths the sine wave, or absorbs line noise, or affects power factor? I don't know.

I also have a 2KVa Sola constant voltage transformer, with capability of 240 volts input. Have not hooked it up yet, but some others who have these, really like them for Audio. This one came from a company that was relocating, and was used for their computer systems. The only trouble with these, is they are noisy, so have to be mounted outside, or in a garage.

Transformers only protect what is connected to the secondaries ( the output ). So these are only whole house if the entire house is run from them.

Sola transformers use ferro-resonant technology. Unlike other transformers this technology operates the core in the magnetically saturated region. Changes to the primary voltage don't result in changes to the secondary voltage. We used that a lot before UPSs became widely available. It's very old technology but it works. One word of advice, to regulate the transformer must be loaded to at least 10% of its rated value. If your load is less than that, add more load and it will perform better.