PS Audio Duet Feedback

Sam-fi

PS Audio Duet Feedback
« on: 7 Feb 2011, 10:28 pm »
If I can't get an answer here I may have to start my own thread. I have >$400 to spend. Is the PS audio duet a good choice for that price range?

My system is in the $5k range and I like a warm, fluid, dynamic sound with out fuzzyness. I need a surge protector and conditioner for my 55w tube integrated (push-pull) and TT + CDP.
The goal here is surge protection with out current limiting and other negative effects on the sound.

So, the duet?

Thanks,
Sam

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: PS Audio Duet Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:56 am »
I figured I would do it for you.   :thumb:

Sam-fi

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:06 pm »
Well, I just put in an order on a Duet - I have been procrastinating on this decision for way too long. To answer my own question, yes it does seem like the perfect choice. Non-current limiting surge protection. I bought this new with a 30 day return policy and it leaves me $150 to buy more music with.

So after I try it out I will have a shopping spree and if I don't like it I can return it for the cost of shipping.

Thanks everyone,
Sam-fi

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:08 pm »
Be sure to post your findings...

Bugs

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2011, 01:14 am »
I wound up using two duets, one for equipment with power cords on the right and one for power cords on the left.  This way I was abe to isolate my power lines from the signal lines.  I'm not sure if it was the separation, the dual duets, or both, but I'm a lot happier with the sound of my system.  I'm sure it all contributes in a positive way to the sound.

Bugs

Bugs

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2011, 01:16 am »

What did you find out Sam-fi?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2011, 01:28 am »
Where are you guys finding the duet listed for sale? I can't seem to find it anywhere  :dunno:

Bugs

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2011, 06:34 pm »
Not for sale, but try Audiogon used.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2011, 06:43 pm »
ah okay, so it's a discontinued model? Is the quintet still a current model?

Regalma

Re: PS Audio Duet Feedback - wierd problem
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:18 pm »
This weekend my electricity started acting very strange. The voltage would drop to below 100Vs and then sometimes shoot up to over 130V. After a lot of experimenting I traced to my Duet. With it in place voltages dropped a lot on one phase, and shot up on the other. I pulled it and now I am back where I should be. I've had the duet for a couple of years, so it is suprising.

I saw this same thing once this winter but I put it down to the fact that the power had been knocked out by a car hitting a pole and was not coming back on correctly. It eventually fixed itself.
I don't what has happened. As you can imagine my Duet is history. I also have a quintet. When voltage dropped below 100V it would shut down.

rw@cn

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2011, 10:44 am »
Sounds like the Duet may have protected your equipment when the pole was hit. You can replace the small protection unit. Call or write PS Audio.

Bugs

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:37 pm »
ah okay, so it's a discontinued model? Is the quintet still a current model?

I don't think it's discontinued, just a cheaper way to buy them.  Seems like a lot of people start with Duets and then move on to more sophisticated equipment.  I keep waiting for the Power Plant Premier to drop a couple of hundred bucks in price (used, of course).

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2011, 05:37 am »
I spoke with PS Audio today...both the Duet and Quintet are discontinued :(

rw@cn

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm »
But they will still sell you the replaceable part (the part with the switch on it).

bondmanp

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »
I emailed PS Audio to ask if my Quintet was okay, since the blue light was flickering irregularly.  They sent me a replacement power module right away and for free, "just to be on the safe side."  Can't beat that.

Not only are the Duet and Quintet discontinued, but a look through the PS Audio web site offers no replacements, or even replacements in development.  Too bad, I love my Quintet and the value proposition it offers.