Von Schweikert to feature 3 Demo Rooms at RMAF

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Von Schweikert to feature 3 Demo Rooms at RMAF
« on: 14 Sep 2010, 04:00 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,
I would like to announce that VSA will have 3 rooms at RMAF, #8032, #509, and #2020 (the Jolida Audio room).  We will also offer a Free Raffle to win a pair of VR-33 (valued at $3,750/pr), so register your name in room #509 for the free drawing.  All you have to do is put a supplied raffle ticket into a box with your name and contact info, and a RMAF official will pick the winning number on Sunday afternoon.  The speakers will be delivered free of charge to any address in the Continental USA. You do not have to be present to win and the tickets are free.

After much deliberation and testing, we have decided that the new VR-77 is not a good fit for the room 8032 that we booked months ago at RMAF, so we are not going to bring them. We thought about showing the all-new VR-9SE Mk2, with upgraded midrange drivers and new crossover boards featuring copper foil and Teflon caps. However, the prototypes are still not ready and it looks like the cabinet fabricator will not have the final pair made in time.

At the same time, we have had more requests to bring an affordable, "real world" speaker that people can own as well as dream about - there seems to be a backlash against the hyper-expensive systems due to the economy. Our dealers report that speakers selling at $8,000/pr is the limit for most people these days, and they expect to get an incredible system for this price.  These customers are right, a truly fantastic speaker can be designed and manufactured for this price point, without any trade offs in sound or quality.

For this and many other reasons, we have decided that most people would appreciate seeing and hearing a new model based on the VR-33, a highly upgraded version named VR-35 Export Deluxe.  Since our European and Asian distributors all wished to carry a big speaker in a price range under $10,000/pr, we designed the VR-35 Export Deluxe to be an astonishing value, as it can outperform speakers we've heard for 2 or 3 times more money.  If you search this forum, you will see photos of the prototypes shown at the Munich Germany show, displayed by Musical Reality of the Netherlands.  Cor Dekker, the owner, won many accolades from the European magazines for his system, which included the VR-35 Export Deluxe, the KR Audio "Kronzilla" large-tube amplifiers, and the Eera Tentation CD player.

Cor Dekker of Musical Reality will be duplicating his European system, as shown in Munich, in room #8032 at the upcoming RMAF show.  The VR-35 Export Deluxe will be featured, driven by KR Audio "Kronzilla" amps with tubes 16" tall - it's an incredible amplifier that is unique in sound and appearance.  The US MSRP will be announced at RMAF, which will be somewhere in the $25,00/pr range. The front end source will be the new Eera Tentation CD player, which has been reviewed in France as "the World's Best CD Player" (and it should be at $12,000).  VSA will distribute the Eera CD player in the USA, as well as the KR Audio Kronzilla amps.

The US price for the VR-35 Export Deluxe will be $7,995/pr and several US dealers have these on order.  Although the VR-35 Export Deluxe is based on the VR-33 and is similar in appearance, they don't have much else in common --all parts (including the cabinet) are highly upgraded to unleash the full potential of this new design.  I feel that the VR-33 is similar to a standard Porsche 911, with the VR-35 Export Deluxe as the Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra model with 4-wheel drive and 500 HP. Similar body, but different drive systems. Naturally, the Turbo version is twice as expensive as you might imagine with all of the upgrades.

Another great feature of the VR-35 Export Deluxe is the ability to customize the cosmetic appearance, since we offer 12 different grill cloths and 20 different bottom and top caps from wood, metal, carbon fiber, and polished marble. Wives love to customize their decor, so why not customize your speakers to match?

In Room 509, we will feature the Factory Direct VR-33 ($3,750/pr) and will have two different systems to drive them. We will feature a tube system based on the Vincent tube hybrid amplifier (150 watts) and a solid state system using Channel Islands new 100-watt solid state digital mono block amps. Our front end will be an Apple computer with the Havana tubed DAC, all controlled by a really fine tube preamp built by Bill Baker of Response Audio in New York. This is a cost-effective system that will "kill" systems I've heard at local dealers at 10x the price.

Jolida Audio will be using the VR-33 in their room #2020, so hear the entire system as reviewed by John Zurich of Positive Feedback.  It should be a fantastic sounding system, so you lucky show goers will have a bounty of different sounds to hear from Von Schweikert and Friends.  Hope to see all of you AC members at RMAF, so let's do dinner together as Cor Dekker (ceedee) and Gavin (ES347) have suggested in earlier RMAF threads.  We don't have a restaurant chosen yet, but we can find one at the last minute, hopefully close to the Marriott so we don't have to drive too far. Cor Dekker of Holland has suggested that we all go "Dutch."   You will enjoy meeting him, as he is a famous personality in Europe and will be our host and entertainer. Have a safe trip!

CGull

Re: Von Schweikert to feature 3 Demo Rooms at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:40 am »
 Albert, Can you go into detail what the differences between the VR-33 and the VR-35. When purchased my VR-33 the VR-35 where export only and not going to be offered in the US. How much of an improvement is there? Is there an upgrade program for the early buyer of the VR-33 to get the improvements without losing the initial investment we made in the VR-33's

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:35 am »
Albert

Excellent news-- I'm on for the dinner either Friday or Sat night.....(Sat probably better so am not reliant on flight schedules working out). Will be good to put faces to some of the names here.

Best

Patrick

walterslw

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:25 am »
Hi Albert,

Look forward to meeting you in person again and listening to the VR 33s and 35s at RMAF - just found out today that I have to be in the Denver area week of the 18th for work so I will fly in early to attend RMAF.  I've been a Von Schweikert customer (and fan) since my original VR 3 days.  I met you and Damon in London Ontario at an event back several years ago when the original VR6's were released.  I am now looking to upgrade my VR 3.5s to perhaps the VR 33s or even better the 35s  :D

Regards,
Lou

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:05 am »
Hello Albert, Cor and Von Schweikert crew.
 I too look forward to meeting you in person as well as finally being able to see and hear the VS speakers being debuted and the new Eera Tentation CD player. (we'll talk about the CD player at the show Albert :wink:)

One correction to the first post, the preamp being used in room 509 is not a Response Audio product rather the Basis Pre 1.1 by Purity Audio Design.

Mike11

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:29 am »
This is disappointing. The same VSA speaker in 3 different rooms? 1 room I understand for the value display. This is billed as a high end audio show and I was looking forward to listening to the VR9 or VR77. When was the last audio show that the VSA speaker was the least expensive component in the room?
I certainly am not responsible for the financial success of VSA and am only writing an opinion from a buyers, my, perspective, but I would rather have the company's best salesman, Albert Von Schweikert, in a room with the VR9s and VR11s having a conversation about the best sounding speaker in the industry and how that sound is achieved. Then he would go on to comment that to have the best is expensive as it is with any product. But an outstanding speaker for the money, the VR33, is in the other room. Now he will be answering questions about how does the VR33 compare to the Unifield 3, VR5, VR9 etc and why would someone pay so much more for the other models.
Perhaps this was not planned as the other models are not ready for display as was explained. Or showing the VR9 and VR11 speakers at other shows did not translate into sales and VSA is trying something new. None the less, I'm looking forward to the show and will be searching for the high end speakers that I can not audition in my home.
Mike
I have the Unifield 3s.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:19 pm »
We will also offer a Free Raffle to win a pair of VR-33 (valued at $3,750/pr), so register your name in room #509 for the free drawing.  All you have to do is put a supplied raffle ticket into a box with your name and contact info, and a RMAF official will pick the winning number on Sunday afternoon.  The speakers will be delivered free of charge to any address in the Continental USA. You do not have to be present to win and the tickets are free....

Is it possible to enter the raffle if not in attendance?

Isaac.

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:43 pm »
Mike:

I'd have have to agree.  I certainly understand the enthusiasm for new product(s) and am looking forward to hearing them myself.  That said, I think that RMAF is a good venue to display the whole spectrum of products from entry level to statement flagship.  Granted this time we are going to be treated to two models whereas last year there was only the Uni-3.  Even if the the VR-9s aren't ready and the 11s a bit impractical given room sizes, the VR-5s would be a suitable higher end of the product range to provide a glimpse into what VSA can do.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the show!

Isaac

This is disappointing. The same VSA speaker in 3 different rooms? 1 room I understand for the value display. This is billed as a high end audio show and I was looking forward to listening to the VR9 or VR77. When was the last audio show that the VSA speaker was the least expensive component in the room?
I certainly am not responsible for the financial success of VSA and am only writing an opinion from a buyers, my, perspective, but I would rather have the company's best salesman, Albert Von Schweikert, in a room with the VR9s and VR11s having a conversation about the best sounding speaker in the industry and how that sound is achieved. Then he would go on to comment that to have the best is expensive as it is with any product. But an outstanding speaker for the money, the VR33, is in the other room. Now he will be answering questions about how does the VR33 compare to the Unifield 3, VR5, VR9 etc and why would someone pay so much more for the other models.
Perhaps this was not planned as the other models are not ready for display as was explained. Or showing the VR9 and VR11 speakers at other shows did not translate into sales and VSA is trying something new. None the less, I'm looking forward to the show and will be searching for the high end speakers that I can not audition in my home.
Mike
I have the Unifield 3s.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:03 pm »
Is it possible to enter the raffle if not in attendance?

Anyone know?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:36 pm »
All you have to do is put a supplied raffle ticket into a box with your name and contact info, and a RMAF official will pick the winning number on Sunday afternoon.

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:57 pm »
All you have to do is put a supplied raffle ticket into a box with your name and contact info, and a RMAF official will pick the winning number on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks :), but my question was can one enter the drawing if not in attendance.  I see that one doesn't have to be present to win, but I was wondering if there was a way to enter without being there.

Thank you. :)

srb

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2010, 05:23 pm »
Thanks :) , but my question was can one enter the drawing if not in attendance. I see that one doesn't have to be present to win, but I was wondering if there was a way to enter without being there.

That would seem to kind of defeat the purpose of the raffle, which I would think is to draw people and boost attendance at the show and the Von Schweikert rooms.

Steve

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2010, 08:17 pm »
Hello Saturn94,

As Steve also noticed.

You have to fill in your name, address and phone or e-mail on the raffle ticked you receive at the entrance and put it in the box in the room while you visit the VR 33.

You don't have to wait until Sunday afternoon until the RMAF official will pick the winning raffle out of this box since your ticket cary your address.
Don't worrie, VSA is contacting you when you are the winner.

So, feel welcome fiscally, enjoy the Virtual Reality Sound of the VR 33 for your self and hope you 'll win a pair.

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2010, 08:25 pm »
Hello Saturn94,

As Steve also noticed.

You have to fill in your name, address and phone or e-mail on the raffle ticked you receive at the entrance and put it in the box in the room while you visit the VR 33.

You don't have to wait until Sunday afternoon until the RMAF official will pick the winning raffle out of this box since your ticket cary your address.
Don't worrie, VSA is contacting you when you are the winner.

So, feel welcome fiscally, enjoy the Virtual Reality Sound of the VR 33 for your self and hope you 'll win a pair.

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend, hence my question.  I was hoping there would be a way to register by mail for the drawing.

Thank you for the clarification.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2010, 09:20 pm »
OK Saturn94,

No thanks, hope to meet you an other time at an other challenge.

Cor

boe

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2010, 03:35 am »
Hello,

I currently have a pair of 4SRs (upgraded) in the living room and a pair of 4 IIs in the bedroom.    I'm pretty darn happy with each.   I was thinking about upgrading my rears as they are old magnasphere from long ago that are rediculously large for rears.   Do you have any new surrounds?   I don't see any on your main product page.    If not, could you tell me the best ones to go with my 4 SRs?   I'd like them dark cherry to match.

Thanks

fplanner2000

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2010, 10:59 pm »
Mike and Isaac -

As I have already stated elsewhere on this forum, I have offered to let VSA owners hear my upgraded VR-7se's at my home which is about 15 minutes from the RMAF hotels.  I know there are a number of folks on this forum who are planning on doing so, and I'm pretty sure Damon and probably Albert as well will make it over at some point.  Albert came over several years ago and was pretty impressed; the gear has gotten lots better since.  :) :)  Some purists actually like the un-amplified 7's better than the 9's.
I would check the RMAF thread here for more info.  Just a suggestion, not a "solution"......

Harve (Fplanner2000)

Tan Daniel

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:26 am »
Hi Boe,

VSA has released the TS-3 surround speakers. However it is only in Black Ash option. Below is the press release for your reference.

PRESS RELEASE
TS-3 Surround Speaker System

March, 2010.  Murrieta, California.  Von Schweikert Audio is pleased to announce a new surround speaker system, the TS-3, developed for use with the VR-33 main tower speaker system and LCR-4 center channel speaker..

Since the VR-33 uses high quality drive units designed in Denmark,  we have used the same brand of speaker components in the new TS-3 to enable correct timbre matching. 
Generally, the rear surround speakers are not played as loud as the front speakers in a typical movie, so surround speakers do not have to be engineered with high power ratings or expensive parts used for main speakers in the front.

For these reasons, the speaker components are not 100% identical to the drivers in the VR-33 or its matching center channel, the LCR-4.  However, the build quality and sonic performance are in agreement with our VR-33 and LCR-4.  The engineering trade-offs were simple – make the new TS-3 sound great, but don’t use up too much of the customers money to do it.  We saved money by using Black Ash veneer on the cabinet instead of an expensive Steinway Hi-gloss finish.

The TS-3 is a 6.5” two-way system with a powerful paper/composite bass-mid and a sweet sounding 1” silk dome tweeter, driven by a high quality crossover not normally found in surround speakers at this low cost.  To ensure clarity, we made a very heavy duty cabinet with 50mm composite walls to prevent vibration and unwanted resonances.

SPECIFICATIONS

Woofer – Scanspeak-designed 6.5” woofer with composite/paper based cone and Low Distortion Motor.  This bass-mid was designed to match our VR-33 and LCR-4.
Tweeter – Scanspeak-designed 1” silk dome tweeter with Low Distortion Motor. This tweeter was voiced to match our VR-33 and LCR-4 systems.
Crossover – Global Axis Integration Network with 24dB/oct performance, film and foil capacitors and air core inductors are used for low distortion and zero coloration.
Power Rating – 10 watts minimum, up to 100 watts maximum.
Impedance – 8 ohms nominal.
Sensitivity- 87 dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter.
Size – 14” tall x 9” wide x 12” deep.  Sealed box design. 
Weight -  20 lbs each.

Cheers,
Dan.

boe

« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:49 am »
Thanks - do you have any links?   I didn't notice them on the web page.

Tan Daniel

« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2010, 07:09 am »
At present , it is not in the website yet. Am sure VSA will be posting them soon. I received the press release from Albert himself and have ordered a 7.1 system which includes the TS-3.

Dan.