Effect Of (Sub)Woofer On Tone OF Main Speaker

ZLS

Effect Of (Sub)Woofer On Tone OF Main Speaker
« on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:02 pm »
I will start out by stating that my speakers consist of Omega XRS Dipole's with the HempTone Drivers and an Omega DeepHemp (Sub)Woofer.  I consider my Dipole's to be Single Driver Speakers even though each speaker contains two drivers.  Each driver operates in the same frequency range, but face in opposite directions and are wired out of phase.  I believe from reading the posts that this does qualify. 
    The question I have is having recently purchased the DeepHemp (Sub)Woofer I discovered that I can change the tone of my main drivers depending on what platform I place my (Sub)Woofer on.  It is a downward firing powered speaker.  I use a very light hand on both the crossover frequency and the volume, so it is not as if the (Sub)Woofer is predominating the sound.  I am curious to hear if other AC members have heard similar changes.  The platforms I used were 2' maple, granite MDF composite (Adona) and a composite platform made by Omega speakers.  I also had the speaker firing directly into the carpet, but found the sound too diffuse. 
    The working theory I have developed is due to the sensitivity and lack of crossover, single drivers are very responsive to the slightest change in the use of any component in the listening chain. 
    I welcome any and all input, if it turns out that I am simply hearing things, well that at least would be nice to know. 
    I use the specific designation of (Sub)Woofer to distinguish those drivers that do not go below 20 hertz. 

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Effect Of (Sub)Woofer On Tone OF Main Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2007, 09:13 pm »
are you still running the main speaker full-range?  i bet if you crossed it over, as well as the sub, you would improve its sound quite a bit...

as it is, it does not surprise me that the (subwoofer) will effect the sound of a monitor, especially a full-range driver...

doug s.