Potential Holiday Gifts

jsalk

Potential Holiday Gifts
« on: 29 Nov 2008, 02:32 am »
It happens every year at this time.  We get emails from people wondering if there is still time to complete and ship a pair of speakers for delivery in time for the holidays.  While we can certainly build them fast enough, the way we finish speakers, it simply takes time and we normally can't help (although we wish we could).  What's more, since we normally only build speakers to order, we don't generally have any available for sale. 

So this year, we thought we'd try something new.  A few weeks ago, we began building pairs of SongTowers in a select number of standard veneers.  We have a number of them close to being finished and available on a first-come, first-served basis for delivery in time for the holidays.

These include one pair each in curly cherry, curly maple, curly walnut and mahogany.  These are $1795 plus shipping.

We will also have a special pair of ribbon tweeter SongTowers in pal dao rosewood as well.

If you are looking for a "last-minute" gift the entire family can enjoy for years to come, one of these pairs may be just the ticket. 

- Jim

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2008, 03:02 pm by jsalk »

Big Red Machine

Re: Potential Holiday Gifts
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2008, 03:11 am »
Not that they won't go fast enough, but some sampling of what they look like or past product photos will help.  I'm tempted and I don't need any speakers!!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2008, 03:14 am »
Ribbon version like this?  Send me the price James, I might bite.  SIlver or black plates on front?

NealH

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2008, 03:21 am »
I agree, it would be nice to see a picture of these ST's lined up.  Makes choosing a bit easier. 

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2008, 04:18 am »
Well, none of them are finished yet.  The walnut ones are the closest and are basically ready to assembly.  The mahogany pair and the maple pair had their last coat of sealer today.  Either of these could by dyed before topcoat as well.  For example, the mahogany is now natural, but could be dyed a deep rose/red mahogany before the topcoat is applied.  The cherry should be ready for topcoat as well.

I can try and post some pictures tomorrow, but they won't look like finished speakers.  You will get an idea of the woods involved however.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2008, 03:20 pm »
The following rather poor photos show the cabinets in progress (with the exception of maple which was being sanded and unavailable for photos today).

The walnut cabinets are the farthest along and are basically ready for final assembly.  It was sprayed with a light coat of dark walnut dye to bring out the nice curl patterns.  Here is a photo...

The cherry cabinet here is shown getting its final sealer coat.  This could be dyed a darker cherry color prior to topcoat if desired. Again, some very nice figuring...

The mahogany cabinet just went through a sealer session and was sanded down.  So we wiped alcohol on the side panel to better show the detail in the wood.  You can notice the lack of alcohol on the front of the cabinet and also an area at the bottom where the alcohol already evaporated.

This, too, can be dyed prior to topcoat.  As an example, I used photoshop to roughly simulate a traditional rose/red dye applied to the cabinet.

Since we were unable to shoot the maple cabinets, here is a photo of a similar pair of finished speakers. Although it is not all that evident in the photo, it has a nice curly figuring pattern.

As mentioned above, all of the above SongTowers are $1795 plus shipping.

Finally, here is the "special" pair of pal dao rosewood cabinets.  These are set up to receive  black aluminum front baffles and LCY pure ribbon tweeters.  Notice the sapwood edges.  We had a small batch of pal dao with sapwood edges and decided to use it as a feature.  We originally did this for a customer and liked it so much, we thought we'd do it again.  But since we only had a limited supply of this veneer, this is probably not something we could duplicate in the future.  This is a "custom" pair ($1995) with $200 worth of veneer and $700 for the LCY tweeter upgrade and machined aluminum front baffle.

All of these speakers will be ready for final assembly by the end of next week and can be delivered in time for the holidays.

- Jim

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2008, 08:23 pm »
 :thumb:  What a great opportunity for some amazing speakers with little to no wait time!!!!  :drool:
I re-posted the pictures and a link to here on AVS (in the SALK thread).  I hope that is okay as I did not notice any notation of this being an AC exclusive.
Very cool idea to have some ST's ready to go like this, Jim.
I am sure they will go quickly.

Cheers,
Greg

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2008, 10:25 pm »
Well, it isn't one the pairs listed above, but I committed today to get two more SongTowers to give me a total of five for my HT.   :drool:

While I was hoping for black satin to match the other three SongTowers, I think this pair will do fine for the rear channels:

I am looking forward to hearing/watching some hi-rez movies and concerts with five SongTowers!   :green:

Thanks Jim.

George

drab

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2008, 12:55 am »
I hate you :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2008, 03:04 am »
Congrats, George!  Excellent. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2008, 05:01 pm »
Jim,

I like the pal dao rosewood pairs.

Do you have enough left over veneer for a center?

Also, can you finish them in a high gloss version.

If so, I'd love to get the pair + center from you.

Let me know.

Thanks,

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2008, 07:54 pm »
Hugh -

Jim,

I like the pal dao rosewood pairs.

Do you have enough left over veneer for a center?

Also, can you finish them in a high gloss version.

If so, I'd love to get the pair + center from you.

Let me know.

Thanks,

You have a PM

- Jim

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2008, 08:09 pm »
Thanks Jim.

Back at You Sir. :)