Diffusors Next to Speaker? (Attn: BryanP)

ajzepp

Diffusors Next to Speaker? (Attn: BryanP)
« on: 24 May 2008, 10:14 pm »
I still need to get some treatments up on the ceiling at some point, but I'd also like to still consider diffusion. I know that you guys have said that diffusion isn't all that effective in a smaller room, but never hurts to try :)  If you look at this pic, you'll see that to the side of the speaker, beneath the Empire Strikes Back poster, there is an untreated area of the wall. Sorry the pic is a bit dark, but it should be visible. I was wondering if the area directly to the side of the speaker was a viable area to treat, and if so, if maybe one of those GIK 2x2 panels would help there. Also, what about taking the 2x4 panel I have at each first reflection point and replacing it with diffusors? It's right about 6-7' from the listening position.

Thanks!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Diffusors Next to Speaker? (Attn: BryanP)
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2008, 01:52 am »
That's a lot of personal preference.  Right beside the speaker I wouldn't recommend.  Replacing the reflection panels can work if the speakers you have have very very good off axis power response (most don't).  Of all the places you mentioned, I'd likely try them at the ceiling reflection points.  They can do very nice things there in smaller spaces. 

Most people want to try them behind them in small spaces and the distances just don't allow them to 'bloom' properly.  On the ceiling, it can work nicely.

Bryan

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2008, 02:09 am »
Thanks, Bryan...do I find the ceiling reflection points using the same "mirror method" I used to find the FRP?

Nils

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2008, 03:30 am »
Just to pipe in, I use diffusion extensively with my dipole (Magnepan) speakers.  My listening space is 12' x 17' and part of a larger 17' x 22' room.  While ceiling reflections aren't as much of a priority--Magnepans are line source and do not radiate much energy vertically--I've realized optimal acoustics by using both diffusion and absorption in key areas.  I ended up using mostly diffusion on the wall behind the speakers and on the side walls and absorption on the rear wall.  Don't forget bass traps!

Dipoles tend to sound better and more natural in relatively live rooms, so your mileage may vary.

-- Nils

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2008, 03:44 am »
Thanks, Nils...I definitely want to play around with some diffusors, so I'll probably start with the ceiling. BryanP has helped me get my room sounding as good as it does thus far, so might as well keep taking the guy's advice  :thumb:

I just bought an outboard DAC (TADAC), and probably the most impressive aspect of it is how much depth it's given my soundstage. I had a fair bit of width, but it's much more 3-dimensional now...so whereas there were a few times when I thought I had too much absorption going on (I've got 15 GIK panels in here now, including four corner traps and four of the thicker panels). But now that I've added the last piece to my 2-channel puzzle, it's just about perfect. I've got two corners where the side walls meet the peak of the ceiling that I want to treat (I may throw a few bucks Ethan's way for his triangle traps), and then I'll throw up a few diffusors on the ceiling.

You have one helluva beautiful system, BTW! I'll always be in love with Maggie, even though I've been having an affair with monkeys for the last couple of years  :lol: