American Idol

giantsteps

American Idol
« on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:12 am »

Many times I've been called a musical snob. Do I care ? :roll:. American Idol is cooking and I'm loving every moment  :thumb: There are 3 real talents on the horizon. Have you spotted them?

Frank

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: American Idol
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2008, 04:05 am »
Oh, it has started again, my brother... say, did you hear that Simon, oh brother where art though... ?  :thumb:

Imperial

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2008, 04:09 am »
This is one of my ultimate guilty pleasures, and I love every minute of it too!  :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:55 am »
I've never seen the show! :oops:

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2008, 12:27 pm »

Many times I've been called a musical snob. Do I care ? :roll:. American Idol is cooking and I'm loving every moment  :thumb: There are 3 real talents on the horizon. Have you spotted them?

Frank

I like the guy from Australia, the rocker guy with the weird hair, the girl who lost her voice, and the guy who Simon said that he disagreed with letting him thru to the next round...

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2008, 07:23 pm »
Phil: I agree about the girl who lost her voice (Syesha?)...her last audition was AMAZING. If she gets her voice rested up and healthy, look out. She's the total package.  :thumb:

giantsteps

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2008, 03:22 am »

As with AJZEPP It's one of my guilty pleasures. But tonight.......well......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I just put on some Miles and I'm back to my safe haven ( Roland RD700SX). It will never happen because the audience needs identification but I would like to hear these kids sing little known but great songs and exersize "vocalise". I thought the performers in general sucked tonight.

Frank

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2008, 11:15 pm »
I thought the show was better when it was just a bunch of unknowns being first discovered.  Now I understand that there are at least three in this present group that have had previous record deals.  That doesn't seem right to me.  One of them is that fellow from Australia and another is that girl from Ireland.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2008, 11:32 pm »
David Archuleta (sp?) for the men with the Aussie Second.

Women are tonight so it is hard to tell, but I do know that the Little (thin) Black Girl who lost her voice has some groceries

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2008, 11:45 pm »
I've never seen the show! :oops:

Don't worry Rob, I've never seen Lost which is apparently a much bigger sin of ommision.  :dunno:  The chicks are on Idol tonight, so tonite might be good for first impression. ;)

Does anyone notice that noisy audio compressor Fox network uses? I used to think it was just Idol, but I heard it on SuperBowl too. It hums loudly when the video signal goes very bright, at least that's what I think is the trigger, but not 100% consistent. Listen for it...
Rich

Bigfish

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:09 am »
I am an American Idol junky! :lol:  I think the talent on this year's show is the best I have ever.  My favorite last night was the 16 old followed by the Australian.  I am very much looking forward to hearing the girls tonight. 

One last comment, Simon makes the show as he tells them like it is!

Ken

denjo

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:15 am »
I agree that the quality of talent for this year's American Idol seems to be very high!! I was hard put in deciding who should be out!! I liked the guitarist-singer best. I think he has originality and a certain charisma that should propel him to stardom!! Let's see!

giantsteps

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:30 am »

Women are tonight so it is hard to tell, but I do know that the Little (thin) Black Girl who lost her voice has some groceries

I would lug a Steinway Concert Grand on my shoulders to wherever to accompany her. I'm looking forward to tonight's show because once again IMO there's more talent amongst the girls.]

Frank

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:44 am »
I agree that the quality of talent for this year's American Idol seems to be very high!! I was hard put in deciding who should be out!!

While I think the overall quality of talent was very high last night, there were a couple of performances that I absolutely hated:  the 29 year old guy who sang that high-pitched song that Randy Jackson said was a hair sharp the entire song; the Leif Garrett look-alike; and worst of all, the kid who sang Jailhouse Rock, who not only butchered the song, but came across like a closet drag queen with his attitude...

Favorites were the 17 year old kid, the Aussie, and the rocker with the weird hair.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:48 am »
Phil,
 I agree totally with your assessment. Really dislike the attitude on the drag queen also. :icon_lol:

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:57 am »
I knew a guy in high school that was just like that drag queen. Same attitude, look, everything. Every time I said his name last night, my wife died laughing, she knew him too. The problem was (at the time- 1981) I was madly in love with his sister who made much better use of her estrogen than her brother. I sincerely hope that guy is voted off. Him and the shy Leif Garrett, for starters. But I bet they will last a looooong time  :scratch:

giantsteps

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2008, 02:53 am »

I would lug a Steinway Concert Grand on my shoulders to wherever to accompany her. I'm looking forward to tonight's show because once again IMO there's more talent amongst the girls.]

Frank

Syesha........once again, thank you girl. I can't stop smiling. Luv ya!

Frank

giantsteps

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:11 am »
 The band really cooked on Spinning Wheel ....givin' their all.....but I happen to agree with Simon, Alexandria didn't deliver. BTW, Randy I don't know WTF you mean by they( Blood, Sweat and Tears) came out at that time with this jazz/ fusion thing with those weird chords. WhereTF are the weird chords? WhereTF is your mind? Can't you get past Happy Birthday to you? Is that your problem? /i]

Frank

GregN

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2008, 08:11 pm »
I wasn't all that impressed with the Aussie guy the other night. He was still channeling Jim Morrison too much, both in sound and in gesture. Plus, I thought his vocals were a little off in a few spots. I was surprised that he got universal praise from the judges that night. Since everyone in this thread seems to have agreed with the judges, maybe I would feel differently if I were to watch it again. That is, about him struggling vocally in spots. Not about aping Morrison.. I still hold that opinion, at least for his cover of The Doors song.

I thought the kid with the dreadlocks had traces of something at least semi-original going on with respect to his vocal style. He was "pitchy" or lacking in concentration in spots, but I see some potential of "originality" which Simon always likes to talk about.   

I totally agreed with the Leif Garrett kid who described himself as looking like Ellen DeGeneres, despite Ryan Seacrest's dismissive head shake. Kind of bold and self-deprecating for the kid to admit that in front of millions, but he definitely reminds me of her which I wouldn't have thought of unless he brought it up like he did.

As usual, sometimes the judges are dead on, and sometimes I don't have the slightest clue as to how they arrive at their judgments. Case in point, the Brittany Spears imitator blond girl. I thought she did a fine job with her song. It was a slower song and she sang it well. But the judges wanted her to be more upbeat and youthful sounding, to match her younger age. But then later the short little Asian girl sang what I thought was a very similar type of song with a similar vocal delivery.. yet the judges were all agog with praise for her. I don't get it. at all.  :scratch:

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2008, 08:56 pm »
I was pretty disappointed overall with the women last night.  Definitely thought there were more good performances by the guys.  Seemed like a lot of the women were nervous (or maybe sick, as they seemed to mention).  Top performances IMHO were the young blond girl (described as "the youngest contestent on the show"), the woman whose father died a couple of days before the auditions, the filipino girl, and the girl who lost her voice during Hollywood week.  I also liked the rocker girl...not the best singer, but I like her style.  One of these days, I will start remembering their names!

I do find myself agree with Simon Cowell a lot.  And I must say that Paula Abdul simply comes off as a blabbering idiot...